General Category > General Discussion

It's The Dead Of Winter

(1/24) > >>

Crusty:
It’s the Dead of Winter

I hate winter. I know that there are people who like it; who enjoy wrapping themselves inside a cocoon of insulation so they won’t freeze to death, but I’m not one of them. There are also people who don’t especially like the winter, but prefer sub-freezing temperatures to the heat and humidity of summer. I’m of the opposite mindset. I don’t especially like sweating my ass off, but I find it a lot more preferable to risking frostbite.
As most people who know me are aware, my favorite coffee cup has WINTER SUCKS emblazoned on it in bold letters.

I’ve decided to stay holed up in my apartment today. The temperatures aren’t supposed to even get close to the freezing mark until after midnight and the weather forecast is calling for 3 to 5 inches of snow this evening. Then, it’s going to warm up so that the snow will turn into sleet and freezing rain and will continue to warm up until it’s all rain by tomorrow afternoon; which means that the snow will have the consistency and weight of overly wet concrete by morning when people have to shovel it. It will plug snow blowers as soon as they’re started, and older folks will be dropping by the scores from heart attacks. As a little bonus, once the rain stops, the temperatures are supposed to plummet to well below freezing, so all the little bits of slush that didn’t get completely cleared away will freeze into a good imitation of polished and waxed granite. Oh, joy.

Winter loving acquaintances tell me I should find a winter sport and learn to enjoy it. They have suggested skiing. Now, aside from having to do this in miserable temperatures, there are two very good reasons I don’t want to take up skiing. First, the idea of putting slick boards on my feet then sliding down the side of an ice and snow covered mountain sure looks like a real recipe for pain and disaster. My friends  who ski have told me that if I feel out of control, I should just fall down. I’m a motorcyclist. All my training and instincts are to not fall down. I can just see where replacing my survival skills on the street with that tidbit of information will really be a help. “Yes, Saint Peter; when I saw the soccer mom yakking on the cell phone in her SUV and drifting into my lane, I decided to play it safe and laid it down!”  Uh; Right!
Second, I have a bad ankle. It was crushed in an industrial accident back in the ‘90s, and it hurts like a toothache in the cold.  Skiing is definitely out.
Ice skating is another Fail as well. That same ankle isn’t very flexible. Besides, I have never enjoyed skating, whether on blades or rollers (at least roller skating happens in a heated building).

What other winter sports are there? Bobsledding? Uh, no thanks. Snowmobiling? It can be fun, but it’s still too freakin’ cold. Curling? I don’t know the first thing about it, and don’t really care to learn.

Pretty basically, the best part of winter for me is the chance to get away from it. I think there are a lot of others who feel the same way, even if they don’t want to admit it.
Bike Week in Daytona is the biggest motorcycle rally in the country. It regularly draws a half million people or more to Florida where the temps are much more tolerable. As we all are aware, the vast majority of rally attendees haven’t the least interest in the racing that takes place at the Speedway. They go so that they can once again feel warm and get some sunlight on their skin.

That’s also why trips to the Bahamas and various Caribbean Island resorts have January and February as their peak Tourist Season. There aren’t too many people who want to loll around on a lawn chair at Prudhoe Bay in January. Hell, there aren’t too many folks who want to take a scenic February cruise up to Anchorage either, I bet. While I’d like to see the Northern Lights some day, it will either happen in the Summer or it won’t happen at all.

Well; I’m stuck in New England for this winter, but I’m taking steps and making plans to be in a much more enjoyable climate for next year. If it all comes together, I won’t even need a long sleeve shirt; unless it’s to keep the sun off my skin. It really is something to think and dream about.

Now, I wonder if TV Land or one of the other old TV show channels is having a Death Valley Days marathon?

Klaus:
Crusty,

we´re not only the same age.............we´re brothers in arms !!!

That´s exactly the way I feel about !

sib:
Here's another like-thinker, Crusty.  I'm still living in RI mostly because I've accumulated so much stuff it would be too much work to get rid of it or move it all to a warmer place.  I've got the excuse of advanced age (72+), but I didn't like winter even when I was as "young" as you are.

Sam

fotoguzzi:

canuck750:
-21C, sunny blue sky,  but is still sucks!

Heated garage and bike projects help, just.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version