General Category > General Discussion

NGC - Rear wheel drive w/ Snow tires vs. AWD w/ all season tires

(1/21) > >>

willowstreetguzziguy:
I have an older German rear wheel drive car with Blizzak snow tires for snow and it does very well   Just curious how an all wheel drive vehicle w/ all-season tires compare in the snow? If you had to choose one to travel 100 miles in a snow storm, which would you choose?

Mayor_of_BBQ:
Having lived in the MTNs of Nc & Montana I would take my Subaru with all season tires over any rwd I've had.

Only luck I ever had in snow/ice with RWD was a little 2wd Toyota truck that I had two rubbermade totes full of water/ice strapped in the bed over the rear axle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodekyll:
I take it there isn't snow where you come from.

AWD is superior.  In standard snowy road conditions I prefer it to the jeep grand Cherokee* and it's copious choices for traction.  Also there is something satisfying about busting a snowdrift with my GMC AWD Safari van and feeling the various corners bite independently of one another.  It's like it's THINKING its way through the obstacle.

* The jeep has other amenities that make it worth its keep, but the 4wd on the highway is not one of them.

PeteS:
 AWD with all weather tires are better for go. 2 WD with snows are better for stopping and turning.
If they are used to snow where you live and have plenty of plows you will be fine with 2 WD. If you have a long driveway or have to drive unplowed roads then you want AWD. Average snowfall around here is about 130". Two or three days a year I wish I had 4 WD but I have not been stuck yet in 14 years with my 2WD drive pickup.

Pete

Nic in Western NYS:
For some high percentage of the time where I am in interior New England, rwd with or without snows works great.  Some times, like yesterday around 0930 when I was on my way from Worcester to the Amtrak station in Westwood MA, I was one of the few cars that were not stopped by the weather.  I have winter tires and all wheel drive. Almost all of the time, that's overkill.  Yesterday, I would have missed my train without it.  How much do you always need to be somewhere?  Can you easily push off drives until the weather clears or does your business require you make it somewhere no matter what the weather?

Nic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version