Author Topic: Home Security Systems?  (Read 17596 times)

bpreynolds

Home Security Systems?
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »
So after a good buddy of mine and his wife had their home broken into for the third time in 2 years - he lives only about a mile away from us albeit in a much more crime prone area - I've decided to check into sucurity systems/subscriptions.  The last break in at my friend's house (1 week ago) was especially concerning because the guy hid in the house and stayed there even after police thought they had cleared it.  My friend found the guy in a stowed area of the house and held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.  So anyhow, my wife is probably more concerned about this than I am but figured I'd ask here if anyone else uses a security system or subscription service and could recommend?  

We have a Honeywell system that came with the house when we bought it last year, installed and monitored then by ADT but we did not renew the subscription.  We also have a yapper who screams at everybody who gets within 20 yards of the place, not that this latter is any sort of real deterrence but a lot of the crime around these parts, including my friend's house, is opportunistic crime.  They get off the bus line or step out of their cohorts car and look for an empty afternoon house that would be easy to get into - if one has a yapper they more often choose the house next door that doesn't.  But that's just the opportunistic ones.  

I called ADT and Mid-America and listened to an extraordinary and surprising amount b.s. spiel from each, total and complete salesmen that made my stomach turn mainly.  I just can't imagine in this day and age there aren't stand alone wireless systems that would notify authorities and/or me and my wife if they were breached.  But oh well.

So what do you guys have, if anything, and/or what would you recommend?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:17:36 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
Re: Home Security Systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:39:37 PM »
I would suggest a visit to the local police station, chat up the local chief on response time.  Could be that even if ADT (Whatever) call them, they take 10 minutes to get to your place and usually I suspect the thieves are gone in 5.  You are however justified in the situation as described when the burg hides in the house, that could turn serious.  Compare the insurance costs with and without alarm systems, you might break even.  Best of luck, I reply on nosey neighbors as only the cars seem to get hit very often. second the dog idea, and I apologize as I do not remember if that cutie who wandered in is still with you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:41:59 PM by trippah »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »
 I just can't imagine in this day and age there aren't stand alone wireless systems that would notify authorities and/or me and my wife if they were breached.  

There's bound to be something like that.   I don't know the best way to find one that doesn't involve a fanatical commission salesman, though.  

I'll be interested in seeing the results.   I was on jury duty last week, and its shocking how much predatory human garbage there is, these days, walking the streets and riding the roads.   Your friend did well by "holding the man at gunpoint till the police arrived."   The law here doesn't require me to take that risk, and I probably wouldn't have ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »

bpreynolds

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
See the following thread?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74077.0

LOL.  An additional but bigger dog might be the answer, heh.  I been wanting a big coon hound anyhow.  Take me back to my roots.  I'm thinking Black and Tan or, likely, Redbone  :BEER:

There's bound to be something like that.   I don't know the best way to find one that doesn't involve a fanatical commission salesman, though.  

I'll be interested in seeing the results.   I was on jury duty last week, and its shocking how much predatory human garbage there is, these days, walking the streets and riding the roads.   Your friend did well by "holding the man at gunpoint till the police arrived."   The law here doesn't require me to take that risk, and I probably wouldn't have ...

Lannis

Heh.  I told him he was my hero for the week.  I have begun referring to him as Chuck Norris but he doesn't laugh too much when I do  ;-T ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:50:48 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »
Burglers tell their cell mates about your house.

Address, etc.

And they may wait about 6 months till all the stolen stuff has been replaced with new stuff (insurance).

Cell mates know where to go for that nice new stuff.

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »
Burglers tell their cell mates about your house.

Address, etc.

And they may wait about 6 months till all the stolen stuff has been replaced with new stuff (insurance).

Cell mates know where to go for that nice new stuff

Happened to my Brother. Second break in almost exactly 6 months from first. Police told him it was pretty common.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »
  A well trained Rhodesian ridgeback could help a lot. and if anyone tries to break in you won't have to feed him for a couple of days.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »

Lannis

So you would put the guy down? Hmmm...  I do know one thing, the police can't protect you from unlawful entry,robbery or any other similar crime as it occurs..You need to be proactive...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »
So you would put the guy down? Hmmm...  I do know one thing, the police can't protect you from unlawful entry,robbery or any other similar crime as it occurs..You need to be proactive...

What am I going to do, if I come to my house that is 1/2 mile from the road and locked up, I come in with my wife and/or granddaughters, and there's a guy IN MY HOUSE hiding in a closet or behind a door?

"Excuse me sir, are you a dangerous guy?   Do you have a weapon or gun?   Is it your plan to kill me or mine, or steal my stuff, or are you kind of like, innocent maybe?   Can you show me some ID or give me a reference, please?"

Not.   And the sheriff, prosecutor, and judge will shake my hand after.

Lannis

redrider

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 07:50:28 PM »
Reinforce all doorways with steel surrounds and all exterior doors should be metal clad. Kick in is the preferred quick entry method. American Security Systems sells the kits through Lowe's. The premium level takes some skill and tools but you should be able to install in a couple of hours. Wireless monitoring is available but all the perps need is a jammer.

As for the hold at gunpoint thing, CorBon Powerball .45 ACP or 12G will be used before calling the cops.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »
I have just the alarm signs I got from an installer in the front and back.I haven't been broken into yet but it might have something to do with the nosy old lady neighbor who sits on her porch  smoking and looking at my house all day.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
My trick for avoiding that stuff is to not have anything worth stealing.     8) <---- case in point: cheap sunglasses

Even so I have twice held bad guys for the Sitka cops.  The first one wasn't hard -- I had a bat and he had a debilitating headache.  The second time I had my .44.  It was easy to convince the guy to call 911, explain why he was calling (I helped him), and ask if they would please drop by and arrest him before he got into any more trouble.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Fk!!! Sorry for all you who have to consider any of the above options. I really can't fathom having to live in an environment like that. So totally foreign.
We had a local woman killed by a grizzly that broke through their front picture window. And a bicyclist chased by a wolf until a car steered the animal off the rack. But those are bizarre once off's .... to be broken into twice in a year? So, so sorry for you folks. We do have crime up here... just nothing like that.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 09:38:37 AM »
I would suggest a visit to the local police station, chat up the local chief on response time.  Could be that even if ADT (Whatever) call them, they take 10 minutes to get to your place and usually I suspect the thieves are gone in 5.  You are however justified in the situation as described when the burg hides in the house, that could turn serious.  Compare the insurance costs with and without alarm systems, you might break even.  Best of luck, I reply on nosey neighbors as only the cars seem to get hit very often. second the dog idea, and I apologize as I do not remember if that cutie who wandered in is still with you.

when seconds count the police will be there in minutes

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »
Fk!!! Sorry for all you who have to consider any of the above options. I really can't fathom having to live in an environment like that. So totally foreign.
We had a local woman killed by a grizzly that broke through their front picture window. And a bicyclist chased by a wolf until a car steered the animal off the rack. But those are bizarre once off's .... to be broken into twice in a year? So, so sorry for you folks. We do have crime up here... just nothing like that.

Well, this IS a thread not only to discuss what has happened but what MIGHT happen.

In the last 50 years, neither me nor my parents nor any of my brothers or sisters or children have ever had their house broken in to, not even once.   But that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about insurance.

I live in a very low-crime place.   I suspect that most of the people who have been broken into more than once live in or around cities.   And if you think THAT'S bad, just check out the burglary, break-in, home-invasion, and property crime rates in the UK.    The criminals there know that no one is armed .....

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »
Lannis , I can find no evidence that would suggest that is true .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »
Lannis , I can find no evidence that would suggest that is true .

Dusty

I'm not going to try to convince you (or anyone).   If I produce statistics or data, then the source of the data will be questioned.   If I produce personal experience from my many friends in the UK, then it will just be "anecdotal" data.   

So (like me and everyone else), believe what you like.   It doesn't really matter, just something to think about.

Lannis

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »
I'm not going to try to convince you (or anyone).   If I produce statistics or data, then the source of the data will be questioned.   If I produce personal experience from my many friends in the UK, then it will just be "anecdotal" data.   

So (like me and everyone else), believe what you like.   It doesn't really matter, just something to think about.

Lannis

That is the lamest defense of unsubstantiated bullshit I ever heard.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
That is the lamest defense of unsubstantiated bullshit I ever heard.

Thanks.   I strive for superlatives in all that I do.  Watch out for the "Negativity", though, I hear there's a lot of it about.

ridingron

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »

Lannis

:+1

ridingron

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
My friends take on the matter.

Being a cheap guy and with the economy still in the toilet, I have been thinking about ways to cut back on expenses. One thing I thought of was my home alarm system! 

I've disconnected it, and de-registered from the Neighborhood Watch. I now have two flags of Osama Bin Laden raised in the front yard, one at each corner, and the black flag of ISIS in the center hanging from my tree.

The local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching the house 24/7. I've never felt safer! And I’m saving $49.95 a month!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
  I like that one.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »

Lannis

It does really matter.  The spread of mis information leads to ever increasing wrongness!   If there are legitimate statistics, then they should not be in question.  Can we agree that official numbers produced by the United Kingdoms government are real;  If not, then we have a much bigger problem.  That being said, I hope that is not the case.  I would like to see the numbers.   Even then, one has to remember there are many countries around the world with relatively few people owning guns, yet crime of the type we are talking about here is lower than it is in the USA, how can this be?

There are lots of factors that play in to how likely crime is in one area or another, it can't be summed up to a bumper sticker.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
Fellas.  I do enjoy the banter.  I do.  Would I be on here if I didn't?  No way.  However.  Would it be too much to ask for a glorious and unheralded return to my original question of advice and/or info on alarm systems/services?   :BEER:

bpreynolds

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »
Yes , no , maybe  ??? What was the original question Bip ? ::) Oh yeah , what oil to use for cooking bad guys  ;D

Sorry for that  :-[ Check for local security companies , they seem to do the best job .

Dusty

:P

Dusty, I hear Lannis has a million unclaimed dollars hidden in his basement.  I'll drive ya over there, drop ya off, and speed the getaway.  All you gotta do is sneak in and get it.  What time?

;)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:10:29 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »
Sorry, my experience has been limited to troubleshooting commercial security systems that habitually send in false alarms to the cop shop.  The cops give you the first one or two, and then they start fining the business for false reporting.  After a few more they stop responding to calls until you report in that it's fixed.  At that point you might as well have the stickers in the window and nothing installed.  The credit union across the lake alarms whenever a big, rumbly vehicle goes by.  The audible bell and rotating red light continue for most of the wee hours on account of, like a car alarm, nobody reacts anymore.

The problem behind the scenario is that the systems are installed and maintained by the security company.  If they screw up the installation or a component goes bad they have an obligation to respond to the problem.  I get involved when the security company doesn't meet that obligation in a timely manner, which is a puzzlingly frequent thing.

bpreynolds

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
Sorry, my experience has been limited to troubleshooting commercial security systems that habitually send in false alarms to the cop shop.  The cops give you the first one or two, and then they start fining the business for false reporting.  After a few more they stop responding to calls until you report in that it's fixed.  At that point you might as well have the stickers in the window and nothing installed.  The credit union across the lake alarms whenever a big, rumbly vehicle goes by.  The audible bell and rotating red light continue for most of the wee hours on account of, like a car alarm, nobody reacts anymore.

The problem behind the scenario is that the systems are installed and maintained by the security company.  If they screw up the installation or a component goes bad they have an obligation to respond to the problem.  I get involved when the security company doesn't meet that obligation in a timely manner, which is a puzzlingly frequent thing.

To me, this is yet another reason for a good stand alone system that you set up and would only notify you and/or other family members when something occurs.  Then you can be the judge of whether to call the cops or not if you are notified.  The minutes lost between alarm to you to police rather than a system that just immediately calls the police, I think, would more than be made up by the personal plea you make to the department other than just "another" false security notification.

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »
We have an ADT system in our home. We've gotten numerous calls, all false alarms thanks to our adventurous cat. They call...wife first...if no answer then me....if no answer then the cops. I would just as soon have the alarm system call me and save the $600 a year for the service.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
:P

Dusty, I hear Lannis has a million unclaimed dollars hidden in his basement.  I'll drive ya over there, drop ya off, and speed the getaway.  All you gotta do is sneak in and get it.  What time?

;)  ;D

Reminds me of the old Charlie Daniels song:

"Well, he's a friend of them long-haired, hippie-type pinko fags
And I'll bet you he's even got a Commie flag
Tacked up on the wall inside of his garage
He's a snake in the grass, I'll tell you guys
He may look dumb, but that's just a disguise
He's a mastermind in the ways of espionage

They all started lookin' real suspicious at him
And he jumped up and said, "Now, just wait a minute, Jim
You know he's lyin', I've been livin' here all of my life
I'm a faithful follower of Brother John Birch
And I belong to the Antioch Baptist Church
And I ain't even got a garage, you can call home and ask my wife"

.... I ain't even got a basement, you can call home and ask MY wife!!

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here