General Category > General Discussion

Home Security Systems?

<< < (11/11)

charlie b:
I would not rely on dogs, and we have owned a few.  They are good for alerting us to someone around the house, but, that's about it.  If we are not home the dog is no deterrent to a thief.

Daughter and husband have two, a jack russell type and a doberman mix.  Both go rabid when the mailman or anyone else comes to the door.  They were broken into twice.  The dogs were shut in the closet when they got home.  No blood anywhere.

But, if you have a dog that is known to bite people and is big enough, that might be enough, but, most are not.  Bark and growl does not equate to a 'guard dog' and most criminals, even the stupid ones, know that.  Most dogs have to be trained to be aggressive like that.  If any doubt then take your dog to a good trainer and have them tested or trained.  Beware, this can have legal consequences if your dog ends up biting someone.

Robert:
Olive, from Italy!

DucatiSSsp:

--- Quote from: averb on January 17, 2015, 04:04:12 PM ---In answer to the OP
Homeboy.com (disclaimer - the company I work for designed this product)
more at http://www.cnet.com/news/security-camera-roundup/
No idea if any of them are suitable.
Steve

--- End quote ---
Think this system would be best.  May or may not prevent break-in, but most likely will capture pic of intruder.  Would also have hidden motion-activated nanny cam indoors for additional coverage.
Even with hoodie/mask, police may know who the perp may be due to build/height etc.
Haven't had any burglary issues in my neck of the woods so far except for a couple of car stereo thefts 15-20 years ago.  High-five to the Bellevue PD! P:)  They also sent me my new CWP in 4-days(year past due) so I celebrated by buying a new S&W M&P 9mm Bodyguard!  ;-T

bpreynolds:

--- Quote from: charlie b on January 17, 2015, 04:23:56 PM ---I would not rely on dogs, and we have owned a few.  They are good for alerting us to someone around the house, but, that's about it.  If we are not home the dog is no deterrent to a thief.

Daughter and husband have two, a jack russell type and a doberman mix.  Both go rabid when the mailman or anyone else comes to the door.  They were broken into twice.  The dogs were shut in the closet when they got home.  No blood anywhere.

But, if you have a dog that is known to bite people and is big enough, that might be enough, but, most are not.  Bark and growl does not equate to a 'guard dog' and most criminals, even the stupid ones, know that.  Most dogs have to be trained to be aggressive like that.  If any doubt then take your dog to a good trainer and have them tested or trained.  Beware, this can have legal consequences if your dog ends up biting someone.

--- End quote ---

Yes and no, I think.  In these parts and as evidenced by my original post, the vast majority of burglaries in my area are in the afternoon and opportunistic ones.  Guys get off the busline or out of their buddy's car and just start walking, looking for the most unobtrusive entry they can find.  I think even a yapper makes some degree of difference in the decision they make as to which house.  This being said, if they are completely drugged and/or looking specifically at your place for some reason, yeah, dogs or no dogs are not gonna stop them per se. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version