Author Topic: How to best remove metal Guzzi tank emblem  (Read 6059 times)

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
How to best remove metal Guzzi tank emblem
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »
How to best remove metal Guzzi tank emblem?  I want to prep tank for my paint guy....any ideas?

Thank you
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Re: How to best remove metal Guzzi tank emblem
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »
Yup, that ^

I still haven't removed mine, I think today is the day since I've got to get my sheet metal lined up for a paint job on them next week finally - it's been too cold to touch anything metal in my garage, going to bring them in today (or tomorrow) and do this!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

MRLost

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
Thanks for the link, Antietam.

Specifically, I want to remove the badge from my 2013 V7 Stone so I can paint the tank and then apply a Guzzi decal.

The badge appears to be plastic that has been glued onto the tank but I don't want to find out the hard way that I'm wrong.

Can anyone confirm how a 2013 V7 Stone tank badge is mounted or what it's made out of?

Thanks mucho.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
I just worked through removing mine....gold metal Moto Guzzi badges. This worked great....the pins that hold it on are behind the first O and the first Z...I used a plastic kitchen scraper to raise a corner carefully just enough to get a zip tie behind it...slowly working it closer to the pin...once one pin popped I rotated the badge a bit and did the same with a zip tie at the other pin. Worked great.
Tank goes to the paint shop on Monday
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »
I have a related badge anecdote that I will tell in the most unbiased way I can as it falls close to the "no unjustified dealer attacks" clause that we agree to when posting here.  In this case I feel justified, but I will stop short of a direct attack.  There is a small amount of culpability on my part.  This is a cautionary note about the purchase of replacement badges (or any other replacement part for that matter) such as the ones guisto needed to remove.

In the process of my build, about a year ago, I needed to buy several items.  In order to save shipping costs, I generally try to look forward when ordering parts to predict what else I'm going to need and add those items in.  In this case the forward looking items were tank and tool box badges.  My old ones were nice enough to redo, but for the cost, replacements seem to be the easiest in both effort and dollars.  -  That is if they 'drop in'.

I received the badges in good time and condition as expected from a very popular web store based in Wisconsin.  A few months go by, and I was to a point where I could install the badges.  The thing is, they don't fit.  The mounting pins have the wrong spacing and at least half are bent.  Now these are new components although most certainly aftermarket items.  I should say that cosmetically the badges look like original production parts, and the marketing on the web store certainly implies direct replacement.

I call the supplier up and ask to have the parts swapped for ones that would fit better or to return them for store credit if better fitment was not possible.

I was told there was no remedy.  My ninety days were up and nothing could be done.  At that point I was no longer the happy customer I was for quite some time.  I could see there was no point in blustering or climbing the management ladder to find a more agreeable solution.  I simply let it go with the feeling of being burned
 - until now I guess.

I could either open the holes up so the pins fit, or cut the pins off and cement the badges on, but that defeats part of my reasoning for buying replacement in the first place.  I could follow these courses to use the new parts, or go back to my old parts that need refinishing.  To keep a clear conscience, I can only sell the extra parts with full disclosure of the poor fit.

I am in the wrong for not doing a more thorough inspection upon receipt.  I'm not going to pull out my receipts and tally up how loyal a customer I've been.  In the past few years, I've probably spent somewhere between a grand or two on miscellaneous items with this company.  I realize that's still small potatoes in the big scheme.  Apparently, not a significant enough account to warrant accommodation.  Anyway, I had been really happy with the selection and service until this point.  Now not so much.

So, don't buy the die cast replacement badges that are all over the net and necessarily expect them to fit.  Circumstantial evidence leads me to believe the badges I bought are from the same production runs as a popular German supply house.  If you do, check the fit before your return window has expired.

If you're selling aftermarket stuff and it doesn't fit correctly, it is right and honest to fully disclose this to your customers.  

Matt
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:27:39 AM by Matt Story »
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:44:59 AM »

So, don't buy the die cast replacement badges that are all over the net and necessarily expect them to fit.  Circumstantial evidence leads me to believe the badges I bought are from the same production runs as a popular German supply house.  If you do, check the fit before your return window has expired.

If you're selling aftermarket stuff and it doesn't fit correctly, it is right and honest to fully disclose this to your customers.  

Matt

Matt, thanks for the heads up as I'm getting ready to buy some badges and I know where possibly not to get them from..... I just removed mine over the weekend using a plastic scraper, and the areas where the pins catch were rusty so some of my pins actually broke, so I want to buy new ones (which I was planning on doing anyway.)

Where can you buy OEM ones? Or at least ones that are guaranteed to fit? I don't really want to deal with that same issue, and I would like to (if possible) avoid using double-sided tape.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »
This discussion got me curious about the badges I had in stock. I pulled one out and compared it to an original badge from an 850T.

New badges are just slightly thicker. From what I can see the posts are in the same location as the old ones. About 106mm center to center.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:29:35 AM by Hahnda »
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here