General Category > General Discussion

bicycle for 60 year old, and health issues

(1/11) > >>

lucydad:
All,

I grew up on bicycles and rode a lot in various places we have lived.  When I got back into motorcycles 4 years ago the bikes were put outside and rusted up.  No room for the Kawa and bikes.  We also had the two summers of blistering heat in Houston.  Anyway for health reasons, and fun I am looking at buying a new bicycle.  There is a very local bike shop,with neighbor (bicycle obsessed) that works there, and they recommended this bike.  It is a hybrid type good for riding local paved bike paths, streets and also some of our flood control levees.  The bike would also work just fine for a bit more rugged riding when we get off the Gulf Coast.  I want a bike that will keep me happy for ten years in a variety of riding environments.

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/fitness-urban/fitness/quick-cx/quick-cx-3

Health wise riding a bicycle is excellent for cardio and core strength.  And I will use it after work and some on weekends (although Guzzi riding is priority on weekends).  We have some excellent local bike paths.

Ok, here is a concern: last summer Ms. LD talked me into a stationary bike class.  Ok, fine.  But the result of a hard seat, and inability to unclip shoes (stuck) was a damaged prostate/dangly bits.  The injury took a while to heal.  And I am a bit concerned that bicycle riding could repeat?  But a better adjusted seat height and ability to pace myself, and simply get off should help?  And they make gel bicycle spandex thingys

Looking for advice and comments here.  Some interweb searches on male anatomy and bicycle riding are a bit concerning.  Knees and back and such are in ok shape for bicycles, I think. 

thanks in advance

steven c:
 If you buy from a good bike shop they should be able to fit the bike to you correctly. Tell them your issues.

donn:
Behold the recumbent bicycle.

You can tough it out on an "ass hatchet", as we call them, and you can improve your endurance - tougher butt, neck, hands - but any time you go past the time/distance you're accustomed to, you're back to the same uncomfortable reality:  bicycles are hard on the human anatomy.  Conventional bicycles that is, not the recumbent.  Go 10 times farther than you're used to, and you'll be tired, but uninjured.  (Careful with your knees, though - you can hurt yourself, if you don't gear down and pedal fast rather than hard.)  I ride a conventional bike some of the time, but short rides only.

Dilliw:
I won't ride on the road anymore as that's too dangerous.  About a year ago I went looking for a bike path bike a when my sister said that she had my old Peugeot UO9.  I cruise old school now but I was about to pull the trigger on a Fuji hybrid that was on sale.  I think the model is now the Crosstown and depending on which version you get they run around $300-$600.  I found it very comfortable for a "seasoned" man.

Although my Peugeot gets looks I think I am going to switch to a used mountain bike.  At the local park there are some trails and I want to give those a try.

screamday:

--- Quote from: steven c on January 23, 2015, 09:58:43 AM --- If you buy from a good bike shop they should be able to fit the bike to you correctly. Tell them your issues.

--- End quote ---

This. Get the bike fitted properly. Don't let the bike shop just give you a bike then walk out the door. Get a frame size that fits than make sure they spend time with you getting it set up and adjusted correctly. It will make a world of difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version