General Category > General Discussion

Another frequented forum uses "Like" feature instead of "Ignore"...

(1/9) > >>

Adk.IBO:
Seemingly tends to keep things on a positive note. I "like" it ;-T. The  "Ignore" seems like an "I don't like you" message, not even a don't like what you said message. I have one ignore and have ignored one person. I don't even remember why I ignored that person, guess I should "unignore" and try again :-\ next time I see it. Don't even know who it is that I ignored.

Stay safe, John

John A:
When I use my iPad ,the ignore button is easy to inadvertly hit when I scroll from the left side. So I check to see who I'm ignoring when I think of it.

kevdog3019:
Please... NO MORE "LIKES".  Facebook has that covered and it's nonsense.  Just give a thumbs up.  "Ignore" seems pretty childish to me.  If you think it's bad meaning why did you use it yourself?? 

Kev m:
I like the idea of being more positive than negative.  ;-T

Some forums I frequent have a REP or Thumbs UP button - when someone likes what you've said you get a message (anonymously or not depending on the feature).

Personally I think the Ignore button at WildGuzzi is a lot of things.

1. It's probably a useful tool for those who just can't get along with certain members. (FWIW I don't ignore anyone for their posts, though I DO have a couple of people on the list because of large graphics in their signatures. I'd rather see what they have to say but over the years it's slowed the load of the page on various devices so I keep it that way as a default).

2. It's more than a bit insulting. I don't think a person's ignore info should be public. As much as I'd like to not care it does leave me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'll likely not donate again as long as the system remains public. It's tantamount to an attempt at public shaming or cyber bullying, but one that leaves the ignored no recourse to change things*

So bottom line, I feel it's a bit juvenile, but some people need that I guess.

*I kinda suspect that a lot of my ignores have moved on and don't post here anymore, but I have no way of knowing for sure. There's only one active member that I'm pretty sure ignores me because over the past few months I've directly answered his question (sometimes even BEFORE he's asked it) and he's never responded. Maybe the system could be reset annually. I can't imagine it would be hard for someone to re-ignore a member if they wanted to.

<shrugs>

Lannis:

--- Quote from: Kev m on February 11, 2015, 08:58:51 AM ---
Personally I think the Ignore button at WildGuzzi is a lot of things.

1. It's probably a useful tool for those who just can't get along with certain members. (FWIW I don't ignore anyone for their posts, though I DO have a couple of people on the list because of large graphics in their signatures. I'd rather see what they have to say but over the years it's slowed the load of the page on various devices so I keep it that way as a default).

2. It's more than a bit insulting. I don't think a person's ignore info should be public. As much as I'd like to not care it does leave me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'll likely not donate again as long as the system remains public. It's tantamount to an attempt at public shaming or cyber bullying, but one that leaves the ignored no recourse to change things*

So bottom line, I feel it's a bit juvenile, but some people need that I guess.

--- End quote ---

The Facebook "like" and "don't like" thing has influenced folks, I suppose.   They'll use the "ignore" as a "don't like" thing, even though they'll hit the "View" or "Unignore" button to read whatever the person is posting whenever they post.

What's a little sad is that people will often come on and say "Oh my God, I have 2 ignores!  WHAT have I done?   HOW could I have hurt someone's feelings?   Oh this is awful, someone doesn't LIKE me!" 

On a list with 1000 active members, that's not an amazing thing.   Matter of fact, when someone enters that, a few of us will try to desensitize them and bring them back to reality by hitting IGNORE on them and saying "Oh NOW look!   You have FOUR Ignores!   Some people, eh?"

It's just a silly game; I obviously like silly games sometimes!

On the big signatures, you can change your PREFERENCES to not display signatures; makes the page load a lot faster without having to Ignore an individual.    I guess Dean still has that huge picture of a woman with her skirt blown up; I haven't looked for years ..... 

Lannis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version