Author Topic: New to my '14 Griso  (Read 30784 times)

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New to my '14 Griso
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 08:14:40 PM »
So what does this sacred screw do? Is it a good or bad thing that it hasn't been touched?

In short, don't ever touch (or allow anyone to touch) the rear-facing, yellow-painted screw.  This is set by the injection manufacturer at the time the assembly built, and should never be touched thereafter.

Hope this helps.

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Asylum

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
Well I guess that's why it's called the sacred screw then.  :bow

Offline cytocycle

• New Egg
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
you can swap out Stelvio headers if you want but you have to relocate the oil cooler to the front of the motorcycle. Don't expect a huge HP improvement or anything, its more of a visual thing.
Also keep in mind that once you get 4-10k miles on it it will smooth out and make sure your TPS and balanced Throttle bodies are done more often early in the break in as this causes some of that jerky throttle at low RPM.
2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8v
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2003 Suzuki SV650 Trackbike
Past bike 2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline sarg

• Hatchling
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »
my opinion is this. the only place you ride that bike is a wide open parking lot until your comfortable. ride the clutch as well.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »

biking sailor

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
Technique.  I don't want to be insulting or anything, so please don't take it that way, but start off technique on the Guzzi is completely different from a Harley or the little 250's in your training class.  On those bikes, you can just ease the clutch and apply throttle when you feel the engagement.  As stated earlier, the Guzzi likes to rev.  So when taking off from a start, try blipping the throttle to get the RPM's up around 2000 to 2500 and then slip the clutch to get her moving.  It has a pretty tall first gear so it doesn't like accelerating from right off idle.  As you get a better feel for the bike, it will star to be natural and you won't even think about it.  In my opinion, the CARC bikes are some of the best all around road riding machines ever built.  Getting her out on a set of sweepers in pure motorcycling nirvana!

Also, as a new rider I would recommend picking up an older used 250 four stroke dual sport or straight dirt bike, to really learn and get used to sliding a bike around.  Those skills can transform your street riding confidence as well.

Good luck and beautiful Griso ya got there (makes me want one bad)!

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
Coming late to this conversation, a lot of good advice here already.

Mine is simple: Ride it. A lot.

The snatchiness will smooth out over time and familiarity with the bike will ease your concerns about weight and takeoff. If it were me, I'd wait on remapping until you have at least a few thousand miles on the Griso. But you should check on throttle cable adjustment, too much play there can definitely cause some jumpiness in the lower gears.

It may not be the best choice as a first bike, but the Griso gets my vote as a forever bike.

IMG_1193 by wittangamo, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:25:50 PM by wittangamo »
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »
The throttle stop screw shouldn't be messed with as doing so throws out the ability of the ECU to determine the correct amount of fuel to supply. Idle speed is governed by the stepper feed and is programmed into the ECU.

Pete

I love it when you talk like that...

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Asylum

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2015, 01:06:09 PM »
I appreciate all the info you guys have given. Parking lot practice is definitely gonna be on my priority list.

Since the bike only has 500 kms on it, I guess I'll wait before making some drastic changes.

It may not be the best choice as a first bike, but the Griso gets my vote as a forever bike.

This is the reason I chose the griso. Not saying it'll be my only one, but I don't see myself ever getting rid of it.

As for taking up the slack on the throttle cables, is there any thread explaining the steps in doing so. The fact that there are 2 adjustments, I just want to make sure to get the procedure done properly.   

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
The two cables at the twistgrip are open and close.  Figure out which is which and don't touch the close one, it needs slack. 
Loosen the adjuster on the open one at the handlebar and with the bike idling take out the slack. 
If the motor picks up you have gone too far. 
Get as close as you can to zero slack and then move the bars from lock to lock to make sure the idle doesn't change. 
I put some blue loc-tite on my adjuster but I basically put that on everything threaded.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

jlburgess

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
just another thought here, I have purchased over 20 brand new motorcycles and I have yet to have one set up with enough air pressure in the tires. You might check?  I run about 37 psi front 39 in the rear.

Asylum

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
I got around to adjusting the throttle cables today, and wow, what a difference it made in response as I opened the throttle. I haven't rode it, since there is snow out here, but just being at idle and twisting the throttle the difference was noticed right away.
Before adjusting them, when I would just open the throttle it would give a slight hiccup. Last season that was enough to get my full attention away from the road to concentrate on the rpm reading.
I am still looking forward when I get my cables to play around with some different maps to see how it may improve.

Once again thanks for all your help. 

Asylum

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
The cables from Lonelec have arrived. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the o2 optimizer, turn off Lambda and adjust the Co Trim with GuzziDiag?

Vasco DG

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2015, 11:58:10 AM »
Definitely get rid of the 'Optimiser', it's a ticking time bomb. Before you do anything else make sure it is properly tuned.

Pete

Asylum

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »
 Friday night when I went to the bike show, I asked the lead tech from where I bought my griso if they would be willing to check my bike to see if everything was tuned correctly. Would you believe he actually referred me to see a tuner who is about 2 1/2 hours away. So I'm guessing from his response that the griso wasn't prepped properly. Crazy.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
I traveled 14 hrs. to make sure my EV was tuned correctly, and it was well worth it.  Two-and-a-half hours?  Pfffft.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Asylum

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
I traveled 14 hrs. to make sure my EV was tuned correctly, and it was well worth it.  Two-and-a-half hours?  Pfffft.

I get what your saying, but I guess I expected it to be properly tuned and ready when paying 14000 on a new bike. Just doesn't make sense that they sell Moto Guzzis when the can't even prep them properly. Clients have to go out of there way and spend more money, I don't get it.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2015, 12:43:08 PM »
I get what your saying, but I guess I expected it to be properly tuned and ready when paying 14000 on a new bike. Just doesn't make sense that they sell Moto Guzzis when the can't even prep them properly. Clients have to go out of there way and spend more money, I don't get it.

No, I understand.  Guzzi is a small, boutique brand.  They make as many motorcycles in a year as Honda makes in an afternoon.  As a result, the dealer network is sketchy, at best.  Best to search out those few dedicated dealers, mechanics and owners who know what they are doing, and use them as your resources.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
Friday night when I went to the bike show, I asked the lead tech from where I bought my griso if they would be willing to check my bike to see if everything was tuned correctly. Would you believe he actually referred me to see a tuner who is about 2 1/2 hours away. So I'm guessing from his response that the griso wasn't prepped properly. Crazy.

I realize how lucky we are here with Valley Moto and Moto International having terrific reps as Guzzi dealers . My new o9 Griso from Moto in Seattle was set up perfectly and so was my 012 Stelvio from Valley Moto in Chilliwack . It's a ferry ride and an 11/2 hr ride to Chilliwack but worth it to know the bike will be cared for by people passionate about Guzzi .
Your on a great path with these guys here and you've got a great bike . Welcome to the fold .
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Vasco DG

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »
The thing is that the W5AM/50mm TB model bikes are ridiculously easy to tune. The problems occur when people don't find out how to do it, make wrong assumptions about how the system works and fiddle with stuff they shouldn't be fiddling with!

The real problem is if they aren't tuned properly or have been messed with by people who don't know what they are doing the results can be awful. If you are a long way from a decent workshop the best bet is to learn to do it yourself.

Pete

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »
Take the nice ride from Montreal to Hamlin Cycles in Bethel, CT.  Jim Hamlin is one of the top Guzzi guys in the east and will absolutely get your bike perfect.
Asva bonus you'll ride thru some wonderful country with great roads.  We travel from Buffalo NY so he can do major service on our bikes.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2015, 07:24:30 AM »
  Would you believe he actually referred me to see a tuner who is about 2 1/2 hours away.

Did he give you a name?

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Asylum

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
Did he give you a name?

G

Yes, Michel Roberge from Pulsion Suzuki in Drummondville.

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
Good to know.  thx

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Asylum

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2015, 04:16:59 AM »
Does balancing the TB have to be done every time a new map is installed? I was wondering when fuel changes are different from one map to another does it affect the balancing?   

beetle

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2015, 04:42:39 AM »
No.

Vasco DG

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2015, 05:08:09 AM »
Remapping doesn't alter anything 'Physical' as it were. As long as all the actual 'Mechanical' factors relevant to the engine's running are correct, (eg. Valve clearances, throttle body balance.) then what is known as 'Remapping', on the W5AM bikes is all 'electronic' for want of a better explanation.

When a map is changed it may cause certain values stored within the ECU to present differently. This is the reason that after any remap the TPS should be re-calibrated and the self learning parameters be zeroed. With the TPS interpretation it can easily be seen on the diagnostic tool if the interpretive value has changed. The self learning parameters are not shown but since any map should be built starting with a 'Clean Slate' as far as self-learning is concerned it is best if these are re-set after any operation anyway! Quite simply though both operations, both TPS calibration and self learning re-set require nothing more than two key strokes why wouldn't you do them?

Pete

Asylum

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2015, 05:37:33 AM »
Well explained. Thanks Pete.

Asylum

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2015, 07:24:07 AM »
Could you tell me what the clearance are for exhaust and intake at tdc. Do clearance change when the engine warms up?  

K, think I found it. .1 inlet and .15 exhaust.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:58:37 AM by Asylum »

Vasco DG

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2015, 10:08:23 AM »
The clearances were changed between the A5 and A8 motors for some reason, most likely an early response to the tappet failure problems as they may of thought the tappets were riding the cam base circles. Nothing else changed. A5 motor was speced at 0.1mm inlet/0.15mm exhaust or four and six thou, A8 and later were changed to 0.15mm inlet/0.2mm exhaust or six and eight thou. Roller tappet motors keep the six and eight gaps, set cold.

Pete

Asylum

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
I just checked them Pete, and the factory set them at .1mm and .15mm.

So, should I go ahead and change them?

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here