Author Topic: V65SP Fork Help  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Trinorman

• New Egg
V65SP Fork Help
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:46 AM »
I think I just need a little clarification as I can't quite figure out the wording in the Service Manual.  I have my forks apart on my 1984 V65SP with about 10,000 miles on it.  I'm trying to determine how much ATF goes into the cartridge--not the fork leg itself.  There is a rubber bladder that fits into the top of the cartridge (for the air assist I presume), but it also acts as the upper seal/cap for the oil in the cartridge.  This bladder is not listed in the parts book or service manual.  So I removed the bladder and drained the old oil out (no, I didn't measure it...).  Anyway, here's what the Service Manual says:
Reassembly
• introduce in the hydraulic dampers 0.70 cc of
«Agip F. 1 ATF Dexron»;
• and 0.60 cc in oil pneumatic dampers;
• and 0.90 cc in oil pneumatic dampers of mod.
V 35 C, V 50 C, V 65 and V 65 SP.

Am I correct from the above that 70cc is what goes into each cartridge?  Has anyone experimented with using a heavier weight fork oil?  When I drained them the oil that came out was a neutral color like motor oil, not red like ATF.

I'm presuming these are the original cartridges, not aftermarket.  There is no name or marking on them.  Does the FAC or Biturbo cartridge have their name on them?

The reason I took them apart in the first place was due to some handling issues.  The bike handles pretty good, but when cornering relatively hard, if I hit bump or ripple in the pavement while leaned over, the front end wants to start stepping out.  Steering head bearings are stock, but good and adjusted.  Also have a fork brace on properly installed with no binding. 

Thanks for any help.

Chris
1984 V65SP

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: V65SP Fork Help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:16:54 AM »
The oils you have listed are for the fork legs not the dampers. I have not seen any spec on those. They would take racing suspension fluid I would think.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
The damper cartridges are meant to be sealed/non-serviceable, so no Service Manual that I've seen has a spec. for the amount of oil. 90 cc is the amount of atf that is supposed to be in each fork leg, not in the damper.

That said, I have drained and refilled damper cartridges in the manner you describe. To refill, I use 10 w fork oil. The amount differs for each cartridge naturally - I just fill it until there is damping through the entire stroke of the rod and so that it doesn't "hydro-lock" at any point. Most times if you get too much in the damper, it will be pushed out as the rod/piston reaches the end of the stroke.
Charlie

Offline Trinorman

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  It's the way the manual is worded that's confusing.

Introduce in the hydraulic dampers 0.70 cc of
«Agip F. 1 ATF Dexron»;
• and 0.60 cc in oil pneumatic dampers;
and 0.90 cc in oil pneumatic dampers of mod.
V 35 C, V 50 C, V 65 and V 65 SP.

It looks like it is giving two different measurements, one for the cartridge and one for the fork leg.  Probably something missing in the translation.

Chris
1984 V65SP

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
My understanding of those capacities is this:

- 70 cc in the forks on bikes on models with non-air adjustable dampers
- 60 cc in the forks on bikes with air adjustable dampers except for the V35C, V50C, V65C and V65SP which should have 90 cc.
Charlie

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here