Author Topic: 98 EV help  (Read 2029 times)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
98 EV help
« on: March 12, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
98 EV, the owner said he sparked something when putting in a new battery. So then he had no fuel pump and no spark, everything else worked. Last fall I installed all known good relays and fuses but that didn't help. It was cold and dark so we left it until spring which is now. When I go to fix it what should I look for? Visually I did not see anything wrong and a search of the forum didn't turn up anything . Is there something inside the ECU that can be fried by shorting who knows what he did out ?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:42:03 AM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: 98 EV help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »
Is there something inside the ECU that can be fried by shorting who knows what he did out ?

He easily toasted the ECU.

The good news is that it may have simply damaged the easily fixed regulator inside the ECU. The bad news is that it may be hard to find someone to replace it.
I would offer to help, but I don't have anything here to try it on and test it out.

Speaking of regulators. The regulator/rectifier was easily smoked.

ALSO, check the cables again on the battery. there are multiple cables there, and you may still have a 'hot' wire on the ground post, or something like that.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:53:18 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
I fixed a P8 a while back it had a blown track going to the safety diode. The good news it can be bypassed with a diode on the outside like the later ones have.
I'll send you a PM
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »
With the chance of an ECU problem, the first thing to check is all power and grounds to the ECU. There are 2 relays and 2 fuses involved. I do a pin test using a wiring diagram and logic. Make sure you use a volt meter not a test light, I always check by back probing the connector with everything plugged in. Here's a link to the diagram, if you don't have it...
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1998_EV.gif

Fuses 5 and 6 need to be good with battery voltage to them and through them. The ECU relay provides power to the control side of the power relay and the power relay supplies the fuel pump. You also need to make sure ALL the red wires are attached to the positive battery terminal.
Joe Walano

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here