Author Topic: Valve steam Leak  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Rico88

• New Egg
Valve steam Leak
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »
So I came out of work to find a flat tire. I pumped it up and found the leak is coming from the valve stem in full force. I replaced the core, hoping that was it, only to find out that it is coming from the rim where the nut is holding the valve stem in place. There is rust at the base of the nut, and rust just above the nut on the stem. (I am assuming from the moisture from the air coming out.) Is this fixable? or does this mean I need a new rim? (I have read some people say they have a small leak there, and they put a washer on, cut a metal valve cap and used it as a nut). But that sounds a little sketchy for me, since this leak makes my tire go from full to flat just as fast as if I had removed the valve core.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Valve steam Leak
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
TT or TL?

If TT then the tube needs replaced.  IF TL then the valve assembly needs to be replaced.  The rust needs to be cleaned.  I'm not getting why the rim would need replacing.

Offline Rico88

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »
I don't know much about how the stem works. I have only ever replace a valve core before. As for to tight or too lose. I am not sure how to tell. (I am assuming that is what TT and TL stand for). I don't have a box wrench that fits on the nut at my work. But it doesn't seem to be loose enough to move by hand. It sounds like either way the tire has to come off the rim? Which I don't have the tools for so I'll have to take it to a shop. Will rolling the bike into the back of a truck on a completely flat tire cause a lot of damage to the tire or rim? I'll try to inflate it as best I can, but the air runs out extremely rapidy

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:45 PM »
Sorry -- TT = tube type  TL = tubeless.

The air is escaping the rim via the valve hole, but if this is a TT, the problem is most likely a nail or something in the tire.  The air needs to escape the tube before it can leave the rim.

Pull the wheel and take it in.  Leave the rest of the bike at home.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:45 PM »

Offline Rico88

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »
It does have tubes, and that makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
When you take it in tell the guys to "do what it needs".  They've got wire wheels to clean off rust scale.  Have them look for protruding spoke ends and other things that could break the tube.  A new tube 'liner' is never a bad idea, and don't let them sell you some cheep-azzed tube.  Get a good one.  Heavy-duty tubes are rumored to rub and heat up more than standard duty, but I've found the HD's easier to abuse without breaking when I'm prying them out beside the highway with screwdrivers.  YMMV and good luck.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here