General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

'85 LeMans remodel, again

<< < (2/4) > >>

SED:

--- Quote from: wirespokes on February 25, 2017, 12:16:22 AM ---I believe the valve covers are anodized, in which case, take them to an anodizer and have them stripped.

Then anodize them clear if a bare aluminum look is desired.

--- End quote ---

Oven cleaner will strip anodizing.  Probably any lye solution would do.  Did it to the alloy rims on my Ariel.  (and some purple bicycle components back in the day)

Cool looking bike!  Never fond of the bent banana look of the later Tonti LMs so it's cool that it can be changed!  How much was involved?

canuck750:
That's going to be a very sharp looking bike!

Liquid rust remover will take of anodizing and if that fails Eastwood Automotive sells powder coat stripper in a 1 litre bottle.

Jim

Tobit:
I had the rocker covers on my LMIV bead blasted plain.  The shop doing the work commented on how tough that original powder coat was.

They've been plain for many years and add visually to the bulk of the engine.  JMHO.

I like your current iteration of the LMIV.

Tobit

mgmark:
Thanks for the pics of your rocker covers Tobit, I like that look. It will help lighten up the appearance of the bike.

So with the warm weather I finished up the wiring harness, mounted turn signals, and I've done a couple of short test rides around the block to get things adjusted to fit me. I can really notice the difference with the lightened flywheel I installed when I replaced the rear main seal! The bike seems more lively now.

I did run into a snag with my style choice; the left tool box cover interferes with the carb and so will not open when mounted on the tool box. There is not enough room to "adjust" the toolbox further back far enough to clear. I might have to look for some V7 Sport style covers to fit the boxes, or if all else fails fall back to the LeMans 1 type side covers I have leftover from the red bike. I really like the idea of having a functional toolbox though.

mgmark:

--- Quote from: SED on February 28, 2017, 01:40:06 PM ---Cool looking bike!  Never fond of the bent banana look of the later Tonti LMs so it's cool that it can be changed!  How much was involved?

--- End quote ---

On the Lemans IV, it involved a LOT of frame tab removal, and cutting off/replacing the upswept rear frame rails. Otherwise pretty much just parts swaps between models.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version