General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

V50 II - New Coils?

(1/2) > >>

Diploman:
The trial/glitch-resolving process for my recently-rolled out 1980 V50 II update/cafe is still underway.  With about 600 miles on the bike thus far, there are questions about the jetting, footpegs and paint for the fuel tank, but I particularly want to solicit thoughts and advice about the 37-year old OEM Denso coils.  They appear to be working OK, but I have read that coils degrade over time and should be updated to ensure optimum performance.  Many early-smallblock restorers/modernizers claim that new coils are among the most significant positive upgrades to their bikes.   My question:  If the OEM Denso coils seem to be operating reasonably well, is there an advantage to replacing them with a similar modern version, such as the ones carried by MG Cycle, or another brand such as Dyna or Power Arc?

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_157&products_id=2849

Thanks in advance, Will

Chuck in Indiana:
I had the same quandary with the aero engine. The OEM ND coils were working fine.. but.. Guzziology doesn't have anything good to say about them.. and they are 30 years old, after all.
I went with Dyna coils. No difference in performance that I can tell, but they are new.

Antietam Classic Cycle:
You want to be sure whatever coils you use are compatible with the o.e. Bosch electronic ignition.

Psychopasta:
I've gone with Dyna coils on my rebuild of a Monza. It's always difficult to rationalize replacing something that is working though. Dave Richardson's advice in Guzziology is to throw the OEM coils as far away as you can. My guess is Dave would say that you're going to change them now of later  :azn:

- Pasta

pat80flh:
My 84 V65C project had the original coils with built in spark plug wires(can't remember the brand right now), and a Dyna ignition.

I might have run the coils but not 30 year old plug wires.

Coil mounts under the tank had to be modified to make Dyna coils fit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version