Author Topic: Dead & Co / Happy 4th!  (Read 2416 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Dead & Co / Happy 4th!
« on: July 04, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »
I saw the Dead & Co Tuesday night in Dallas.   They played Texas sentimentals like EL Paso, New Minglewood Blues, and Deep Ellum Blues.   But then John Mayer just tore it up on Sugaree with wild blues and did it again with Jack Straw.  After the break they did the best Shakedown Street I've ever heard and  the rest of the show was total jam out with Uncle John, St Steven and 11.  I got the recording.  Here are some photos from the camera I really hate (and sometimes like).

I'll be playing the Dead on the tune box for the 4th.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Dead & Co / Happy 4th!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »
Have you checked out The Dead's podcast channel? 24-7 no commercials
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »
I saw the Grateful Dead years ago. Thank dog for the drugs! Even with heaping helping of them the concert was barely tolerable. I couldn't imagine going sober :shocked:

I saw 'em 3X glutton for punishment  :wink:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »
I saw the Grateful Dead years ago. Thank dog for the drugs! Even with heaping helping of them the concert was barely tolerable. I couldn't imagine going sober :shocked:

well.....drugs can help.  I've seen the Co and GD about 10 times over the last 45 years.  I like them so much that I've purchased the last 5 6 concert recordings from shows I've attended. 

Thanks for commenting on the thread.   :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:01:48 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 02:48:57 PM »
Saw the Dead in the late 70's 32 times and Garcia solo 12....

Ain't nothin' like a G Dead show!
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
 :bow:
Saw the Dead in the late 70's 32 times and Garcia solo 12....

Ain't nothin' like a G Dead show!
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: we’re not worthy  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 04:57:53 PM »
Cool Beans John!  I only got to see the Dead once.  At Alpine Valley WI, I think it was 86.  What a wonderful time for me and everybody I knew.  I crashed for what it was worth in my buddies 280z, he was a rich kid!  I'm happy to see Bobby and company keep on trucking.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhrB95mWOw

This is soooooo good!

Thanks man,  I told you John just killed it.  Looks like I was sitting a few rows back from the video cam.  OK, John changed shirts between sets.  My photos were on the 2nd set.

I just played my Nugs Sugaree recording.   

I am mean isn't it cool that I can see the show, FK can find the video of the song I mentioned, and I have great recording of the entire show.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 06:42:36 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
I’ve seen lots of bands multiple times, the Dead, once was more than enough. I would go again if I was paid.

I don't know how they are now, but back in the day (70s) one show might suck, and the next be cosmic. You paid your money and took your chances.. :grin: Just the same, it's not the same without Jerry. Little Feat just wasn't the same without Lowell George in the same way.
Or maybe I'm old..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
Chuck, check out the vid with John playing Sugaree from the show.  It's not Jerry.  And they weren't replacing Jerry.

https://youtu.be/_EhrB95mWOw

Bob had a dream and saw the band, Bob wasn't in the band anymore but Jeff, Oteil and John played on perhaps with "a touch of gray".

John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 07:34:07 PM »
Happy Independence Day

John L 

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
Been on the bus since 77. First show May 77 In Tuscaloosa. Saw Dead & Co on the 29th in ATL. Ridiculously tight. Bobby looked healthy and they played very well. People either get it, or they don’t. Either way- smile smile smile.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 10:52:58 PM »
Been on the bus since 77. First show May 77 In Tuscaloosa. Saw Dead & Co on the 29th in ATL. Ridiculously tight. Bobby looked healthy and they played very well. People either get it, or they don’t. Either way- smile smile smile.

John L 

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 01:04:44 AM »

Thought this thread could use a little motorcycle content:  Riding through the foothills.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:07:56 AM by coast range rider »
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »
Chuck, check out the vid with John playing Sugaree from the show.  It's not Jerry.  And they weren't replacing Jerry.

https://youtu.be/_EhrB95mWOw

Bob had a dream and saw the band, Bob wasn't in the band anymore but Jeff, Oteil and John played on perhaps with "a touch of gray".

Oh, I watched it. I'll probably put it on the big screen and fire up the (antique, naturally)  :grin: stereo just for kicks.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 06:54:55 AM »
I did my time on the Bus as well. Just missed seeing them in the 70's by a couple months. April 1980 was my first. Chicago 95 was my last. 47 shows in between. As stated earlier, some they just couldn't seem to find the groove, others, they were utterly transcendent. The party was always on, andthat roll of the dice was your ticket to the club. But I've never gone to see a Dead and Co show. My own bias I suppose. Saw Feat after they reformed, and they were a fine, fine band...but I wish they'd taken a page from D&C's book and changed the name. No Lowell, no Feat.

I love the story of Maher, well into his guitar God years, had an epiphany when he discovered Garcia, and the songwriting of Garcia/Hunter, and only later did Bobby hear of this and invite him to sit in. That adds legitimacy to the whole gig. Still....don't know if I'll lay my money down.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »
I think one of the differences between the Company vs the Grateful Dead, is the Company's concerts are a little sharper.  Perhaps not as many highs and lows as the Grateful Dead.  The Company still has long jams and improvs but the show is slicker, the visuals stunning and the recordings are first class.  Having seen 6 shows, all the shows are different, not one song was done in all 6 shows  and not one song was performed the same way twice. 

The core of the band has been doing it for 50+ years but they have new blood with John and Oteil that are superb for what they do but not derivative of anyone else.  Then you have Jeff that bridges the gap.
John L 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
I think one of the differences between the Company vs the Grateful Dead, is the Company's concerts are a little sharper.  Perhaps not as many highs and lows as the Grateful Dead.  The Company still has long jams and improvs but the show is slicker, the visuals stunning and the recordings are first class.  Having seen 6 shows, all the shows are different, not one song was done in all 6 shows  and not one song was performed the same way twice. 

The core of the band has been doing it for 50+ years but they have new blood with John and Oteil that are superb for what they do but not derivative of anyone else.  Then you have Jeff that bridges the gap.

John, Should I put a steal your face on the Cal-Vin?? Can't make up my mind  :grin:

jwinwi

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »

Grateful Dead concerts were a lot like Guzzis: Certainly not for everyone and there was nothing better than a good one and nothing worse than a bad one!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 09:16:02 AM »
I did my time on the Bus as well. Just missed seeing them in the 70's by a couple months. April 1980 was my first. Chicago 95 was my last. 47 shows in between. As stated earlier, some they just couldn't seem to find the groove, others, they were utterly transcendent. The party was always on, andthat roll of the dice was your ticket to the club. But I've never gone to see a Dead and Co show. My own bias I suppose. Saw Feat after they reformed, and they were a fine, fine band...but I wish they'd taken a page from D&C's book and changed the name. No Lowell, no Feat.

I love the story of Maher, well into his guitar God years, had an epiphany when he discovered Garcia, and the songwriting of Garcia/Hunter, and only later did Bobby hear of this and invite him to sit in. That adds legitimacy to the whole gig. Still....don't know if I'll lay my money down.

We must be brothers from different mothers, Kip.. :grin:
Crap. Now I have Sugaree running through my head. It'll probably be there for a couple of days..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
Grateful Dead concerts were a lot like Guzzis: Certainly not for everyone and there was nothing better than a good one and nothing worse than a bad one!

There you have it.  :thumb:
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 10:44:34 AM »
John, Should I put a steal your face on the Cal-Vin?? Can't make up my mind  :grin:

Absolute!
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 12:31:45 PM »
We must be brothers from different mothers, Kip.. :grin:
Crap. Now I have Sugaree running through my head. It'll probably be there for a couple of days..

The music never stops
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »

Helmet
John L 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Here is my Dead experience, there was the cocaine song in the early 70's  which I thought was cool, but then lost interest in them,  then some time in late 90's someone told me about how people follow the Dead all over the place and record their concerts. My first thought was, why would anyone follow that band?  Then I listened to some of their later stuff and I still don't get the interest. 

Anyway, enjoy.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 02:57:23 PM »

I have seen Further & Dead & Co. maybe 6 times.  Saw the actual Dead a few more times than that.  Always a good time, never saw a bad show. 

I do think you have it spot on.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 04:44:52 PM »

That's exactly it.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here