Author Topic: CalVin Mirror Thoughts?  (Read 1880 times)

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
CalVin Mirror Thoughts?
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »
I am struggling with the stock mirrors on my CalVin, they are too far rearward to take safe looks at who is trying to kill me by being on my 6.  I need some mirrors that are more forward so that I don't have to completely take my eyes off the road to take a look behind me.  Anyone have any suggestions for a decent set of mirrors that might fit this bill?  Bar-ends will not work for me on this bike.
Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:30:35 PM by grebmrof »
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: CalVin Mirror Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 02:31:19 PM »
I found a great set from a local shop for the EV.   He let me look at several of his supplier catalogs and ordered them. 

Sorry I can't remember what I purchased but you might try that or the internet.   Agree that bar ends are NOT  the best for the pullback bars on a Cali.

edit
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 10:20:18 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:23 PM »
Agree that bar ends are the best for the pullback bars on a Cali.

Bar ends will not work for me, I am trying to get the mirrors mounted more forward on the bars and most likely on their own perch.  However the bars measure 30mm in diameter except under the controls, where the bars are 7/8".  The stock mirrors for me are much too far rearward.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650

Offline KBuck

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:33:52 PM »
Goggle “Cyclemirrors.” They’re  located in Florida. Hugh selection, including mounting options.

-KBuck

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:33:52 PM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »
The stock mirrors work great on my Vintage since I changed to Cali Stone handlebars. These bars are narrower than the beach bars and give your wrists a more neutral position in the bargain. You can also rotate the mirrors toward the the front of the bike to narrow their stance and get them closer to your sight-line.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
The stock mirrors work great on my Vintage since I changed to Cali Stone handlebars. These bars are narrower than the beach bars and give your wrists a more neutral position in the bargain. You can also rotate the mirrors toward the the front of the bike to narrow their stance and get them closer to your sight-line.

My stone came with little round mirrors that did not stick out as far. I agree that I also love the stone bars!  I ended up buying a aftermarket mirror that's just like yours and they are great.
Paul B

Offline rdtricks

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
Several years ago I replaced the stock mirrors on my CalVin with a set of ERGO from MotoInternational.  Looking at them this evening while riding and thinking of your post, I wondered if anyone had tried installing their mirrors on the reverse sides: right to left side and left to right side.  This looks as if it would bring the mirrors in quite a bit and may have the pilot looking over or just past the shoulders.  Hum. . . .  Just a thought.

2006 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2003 BMW R1150RT
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 01:28:56 AM »
     For better ergonomics for my back, I rotated the stock bars on my CalVin as far forward as prudently possible, and adjusted the stock mirrors accordingly.

I'd still like a little more reach up to the bars, but after adjustment, I find the stock mirrors work excellent for me, fwiw ymmv.

Kelly
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:33:43 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
I think changing my bars out for the Guzzi Stone version as suggested will be the ticket to fix this for me (and I can keep the stock mirrors to boot!).  I'm not a big fan of the bars that the bike came with so a bit straighter bar with less pull back such as the Stone's have should do the trick.  Now all I need to do is fine those bars.  The ones I've seen new are pretty expensive, so I'll have to do some searching. 
Thanks for your comments,
Tom
'22 Royal Enfield Int650

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
Thanks Sheepdog...I put a pair of those Cali Stone bars on my CalVin and that does the trick.  The bars are great and they place the stock mirrors further forward and more into the riders view without making a head movement that really takes the eyes off the road.  You called it.  Thanks for the advice, it was spot on.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 12:25:52 AM »
Very glad this worked for you. Hope you found a good deal...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 05:05:02 AM »
Stone bars on my Jackal as well.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline JediMasterII

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
I took Sheepdog’s handlebar advice several years ago and it really made the bike more comfortable and one of my favorite rides.

Don C. in Northern, IL
Lurker Extraordinaire

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here