Author Topic: Longshot- Anybody know the Pulses/Rev for Tacho on Sporti/Daytona/Centauro?  (Read 632 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Fitted Speedhut Gauges

I need to have the temporary cable in place to adjust the Pulses per Rev that the Tacho sees.

I could do it when I start the bike up but where the cable plugs in my setup is a bit of a PIA and will require me to take off the fairing to plug/unplug the Cal Button cable

So I just wondered if anybody on here had done something similar or just knew the number of pulses the ECU sends to the tacho

Not a deal breaker but worth a shot

John 

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Sorry Jock, my Speedhut tacho is still sitting in its box beside the (dismantled) Sport, and any it's carbed, so no ECU. I was intending a wing & a prayer or 3 before asking someone else for help there. There's nothing on the V11 LeMans site? Though I've not visited the site for a while & have heard it no longer functions as it used to.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
I reckon it will be one pulse per two revolutions (for an injected motor).  Carburetor models are one pulse per revolution.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Well I'll post up in a few days just to close it out (if it works at all)

So as another obscure fact that probably nobody is interested in will be closed out

Thanks for the replies

Malik I've now put on a speedo and rev counter into mine, granted it's a Magni but all the running gear is straight Sporti

On the Sport carb you can use the LV input to the coils to get the pulse, so not a problem. If you need any help post up or PM, the tacho was straightforward the speedo less so, but that's because I went for a configuration different from standard and wanted to use the warning lights on the speedo for neutral, Hi Beam and turn. The neutral needed a reed relay to convert the switched neg to a switched pos and diodes were required to stop both of the indicator circuits lighting at one time

Appreciated

John 

Wildguzzi.com

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Thanks for that, Kohn. I'll have transfer all this info to a safe place for later access.

Perhaps a more pressing thing for me is what to do when the odometer on the V7C stops - in some 4,000km. Thought of a Speedhut speedo, but I haven't yet seen a way to take the instrument panel apart - not obvious. Some kind of temporary odometer, but that not  very elegant. Perhaps make up a whole new dash - a la the cafed Lemans, and that's neither easy or cheap ( tho' likely cheaper than a either a new or a secondhand V7 dash - besides, I really prefer white-faced dials). Just have to see in a couple of months once it becomes imperative.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Well now going off topic a little and I'm not saying that what works for me will be an exact fit for yours, but it's just ideas

How this all started and TBH if I'd known the trouble it was going to be I wouldn't have bothered, was a couple of things. The standard dash works well enough in the Sport, but Magni used a more enveloping fairing and the original instrumentation. I couldn't see if the instrument lights were on or off, the clocks required a real heads down look and I wasn't overly keen on the blue speedo.

I was just browsing and seen a Harley dash on E-Bay, got it really cheap and the crinkle coated black matched some other items on the bike. Checked around for gauges I really liked the Marshalls but they had a few unknowns (smaller pulse range, deeper gauges and I also was vague on how they secured). So I settled on the SpeedHuts.

Some LEDs for warning lights, Oil pressure, fuel and gen and a charge monitor which is self dimming were also cheap. I opted to get the warning lights on the Speedo, so used them for neutral, Hi beam & turn. The whole lot was then mounted onto a CF plate.

Speedo was driven from a Hall Effect Transducer taking it's pick ups off the disc bolts and my local maching shop, who are brilliant made me a mount

It's not perfect, far from it but the gauges are bigger and easier to read, and I can see the instrument lights even in sunshine (something we do not see a lot of here in Scotland)

Another place that makes quality gauges are MotoGadget in Germany but they are spendy, however the quality is amazing (a few on here have them). I'd look at them too as they do a few different models and combined Speedo Tacho units, if your strapped for space. A lot of custom builders use them and you can see why, but its all down to taste and cost.

Before

After, I should add that the wiring has been tidied up a bit more since that was taken, to avoid seeing it poking out the side (annoyed my OCD)

The Transducer mount plate

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:30:24 AM by Old Jock »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
So closing this out

I've just ran the bike for the first time with the Tacho in

It's now set to 2.

Therfore the ECU sends the standard Tacho 2 pulses per engine revolution or 4 per cycle

I wired in the resistor per the Speedhut instructions & the whole thing is working an absolute treat, very stable needle, not that Veglia wasn't but this IMHO is even better

John

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here