Author Topic: Why won't they do it ?..(for Kremmen)  (Read 30014 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Why won't they do it ?..(for Kremmen)
« on: July 21, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
I know this has been covered from a thousand angles, but why oh why does Guzzi REFUSE to build a soft edged sports bike around the V9mill ? I've been told why you can't just put a Griso donk in an MGS 01 and add a couple of lights in Mandello and go for a ride... I reluctantly accept that.
However with their (reputedly) diminishing market share in some parts of the world (Oz), what is the barrier to building something that pays some degree of homage to the MGS, option it up with Ohlins for those who want it, and maybe release a variant with an 850 donk and call it the V8, again a commentary on the legendary past, (it works for the V7 and V9) and make bloody sure you paint the bastard RED !
Here in Oz, the laws are such that it's becoming completely pointless owning and servicing a 300 kph bike and most guys know it, there's not a lot of Panigale's around. Any sports bike that is raw and pseudo race ready gives the average young buyer a chubby, and it MUST be possible after seeing the MGS. Every bastard loves them, but Guzzi won't/(can't) do it. If they don't grab more market share they'll go under eventually, won't they? I'd expect it would need the CARC ass end for the single sided swing arm, so I don't know how that can be done with the V9, I'm just shit scared that they'll eventually realise that they can make a fortune producing bright red flat pack kitchen setups under licence from IKEA or something equally ridiculous and all the bike stuff will be relegated to the back shed, until in 25 years time some rich industrialist will "resurrect" the brand and start putting electric motors in them.
Although it won't be all bad, Roper'll be on his Enfield, Dusty'll be in a rocking chair with pipe and slippers and I'll be dead ! 'Funny thing is, I don't actually want one, I just think lots of potential buyers do, they just don't know it yet ! Guzzi have to stop their model line up being for old farts and hipsters ! They've been going out of business since 1921, if they keep trying, they'll succeed...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:37:34 AM by Huzo »

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
Re: Why won't they do it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »
I think that Aprillia fulfills that part of the market for them, remember that Moto Guzzi exists within the Piaggio group along with Aprilia, Vespa, Scarabeo, Gilera, Derbi, and Piaggio. For that reason, we'll probably never see a retro standard come out of Aprilia or a hi-performance sport bike come out of Moto Guzzi. And Moto Guzzi will never go under as long as sugar daddy Vespa continues to subsidize our groovy bikes.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
I think that Aprillia fulfills that part of the market for them, remember that Moto Guzzi exists within the Piaggio group along with Aprilia, Vespa, Scarabeo, Gilera, Derbi, and Piaggio. For that reason, we'll probably never see a retro standard come out of Aprilia or a hi-performance sport bike come out of Moto Guzzi. And Moto Guzzi will never go under as long as sugar daddy Vespa continues to subsidize our groovy bikes.
I don't have the business acumen to wage a decent argument DVB. I just want a bloody MGS01 with a Beetled map and Roper rollered top end and some lights illuminating my legal rear number plate.. Now go and bloody well get me one ! Have it washed and brought to my tent !!!! :drool:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:11:13 AM by Huzo »

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 04:28:21 AM »
You been smoking stuff Huzo ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 04:28:21 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 04:44:05 AM »
You been smoking stuff Huzo ??

That's been said to me more than once on this forum and the answer is the same as last time..YES !!! But seriously Kev, what's so far wrong with my theory. Surely the more market share the better, no?

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 05:14:43 AM »
That's been said to me more than once on this forum and the answer is the same as last time..YES !!! But seriously Kev, what's so far wrong with my theory. Surely the more market share the better, no?
No offence meant Huzo- I just have no idea wtf an MGS is / was. I did a search on the interweb and found some reference to MGS modified bikes but no idea which one or ones you refer to.

Send a link for me - and possibly other plebites out here :-)

Cheerz Kev

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 05:53:02 AM »
Kev, just google "Moto Guzzi MGS 01". You will find many pics.

John Henry

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 07:01:07 AM »
 Yeah Moto Guzzi should build a world beating hyper sports bike , they will sell in the tens , everyone will say how glad they are the company finally built one , as MG goes into bankruptcy because they spent a metric tonne of money developing a bike that 13 people will buy .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
Yeah Moto Guzzi shfould build a world beating hyper sports bike , they will sell in the tens , everyone will say how glad they are the company finally built one , as MG goes into bankruptcy because they spent a metric tonne of money developing a bike that 13 people will buy .

Dusty
With all due respect Dusty, that's a ridiculous exaggeration. No one said it has to be a world beater. I know it fits in well with the current line of opinion but what do you say we have a think for ourselves? Lots will agree with you and it will feel good, but is that the opinion that YOU hold? Why would it take a "metric tonne" of money (nice pinch from Roper) to release something like I mentioned? Ohlins front end, V9 derived donk, MGS styling, there maybe more performance available from the current V9, that's over my head, I don't know, but why do the things have to take on the apologetic styling that has started to creep in with the V9? Is the damn thing a cruiser? How much range does it have, where the hell are you going to "cruise" to? I just don't know what the styling is trying to say, and while we're talking, how are the worldwide sales of that particular model going? What have our Mandello wizards done to secure the fortunes of the niche brand we like? The darn thing is apparently a fairly nice jigger if you're prepared to ride one, but they look like someone's stripped a good bike and fitted a tank and seat they found in their Dad's shed.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »
No offence meant Huzo- I just have no idea wtf an MGS is / was. I did a search on the interweb and found some reference to MGS modified bikes but no idea which one or ones you refer to.

Send a link for me - and possibly other plebites out here :-)

Cheerz Kev

Charlie

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 08:57:42 AM »
Anyone who thinks that the idea at least, has no merit, has got a screw loose. Don't know if it can be done or not, but you tell me guys, if it had lights and was registered, would you buy one if you were chasing a sports bike ? Don't bother denying it..

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 09:12:22 AM »
The V9 is a new motor, give them some time and I suspect it will happen, for now you've got the V7 Racer.
Remember this is Italy and things sometime move slowly there, especially in Mandello.  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
The V9 is a new motor, give them some time and I suspect it will happen, for now you've got the V7 Racer.
Remember this is Italy and things sometime move slowly there, especially in Mandello.  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Paul
I'm not chasing a sports bike myself, those days are behind me and I do different stuff. I just bristle a bit when people tell me with an assumed authority that it's a stupid idea that Mandello couldn't pull off. There are those on this forum that know enough to show where the problems lay, but I'm damn sure bigger hurdles than that have been conquered at Lake Como. If there were 100 V9's and 100 V8 (850cc) MGS' suddenly thrust onto the market, which one would sell out first, that's my only point, not whether it could or could not be achieved, smarter engineers than I would be tasked with that, but bugger me, they manage to build them when they want to.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »

Paul

Around the V9 motor with its stone age suspension? Yes you have a screw loose or three, the !@#$ing thing wouldn't even out perform an 1100 sport a 23 year old motorcycle that will be eligible for classic registration in a couple of years, it wasn't cutting edge at the time of its release. Yes they should do something more sporty but dressing up the compromised fashion humping hipster bait they they currently fart out as a "sports" bike is a laughable notion, would it even out run a Scrambler 690 Deadcat which would be its most obvious competitor? If they could translate the MGS balance and poise to the road they'd have a winner, even that design is well over 10 years old, it needs to be clean sheet IMO to have any chance of success.

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »
 Geez , thought you Ozzies all had a sense of humor  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »

Close enough?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:43:10 PM by drawnverybadly »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 03:10:48 PM »
Geez , thought you Ozzies all had a sense of humor  :shocked:

Dusty
Sorry Dusty, that one was too well disguised,

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 03:22:56 PM »
Sport bikes don't appeal to the majority of riders hence Moto Guzzi main strategy is to sell where non-sporting bikes will sell.  As stated, Aprilia is for that market.  Vespa and Piaggio scooters is to "bring" the new riders into motorcycles.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
Sport bikes don't appeal to the majority of riders hence Moto Guzzi main strategy is to sell where non-sporting bikes will sell.  As stated, Aprilia is for that market.  Vespa and Piaggio scooters is to "bring" the new riders into motorcycles.
Yeah,Deep down I kind of know that you're right. But as John Lennon said.. You may say I'm a dreamer... Guess I must nearly be the only one. Wishful thinking I 'spose
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:44:32 PM by Huzo »

pete roper

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 03:42:51 PM »
Around the V9 motor with its stone age suspension? Yes you have a screw loose or three, the !@#$ing thing wouldn't even out perform an 1100 sport a 23 year old motorcycle that will be eligible for classic registration in a couple of years, it wasn't cutting edge at the time of its release. Yes they should do something more sporty but dressing up the compromised fashion humping hipster bait they they currently fart out as a "sports" bike is a laughable notion, would it even out run a Scrambler 690 Deadcat which would be its most obvious competitor? If they could translate the MGS balance and poise to the road they'd have a winner, even that design is well over 10 years old, it needs to be clean sheet IMO to have any chance of success.

This! And the V9 is a new motor in the same way a peach is wildly different from a nectarine!

The MGS-01 is a beautiful styling excercise but it's totally obsolete technology and also grossly over-stressed. Read the service manual, you throw most of it away every few hours! It's a race bike, if you de-tune it to the point it's reliable when used in anger it would be feebly uncompetitive even if it was, miraculously, able to meet noise and emission regs!

Every few years this question is asked. Many times in the past the management of Guzzi has obliged and produced something more modern or designed to appeal to those asking the question. These self same people then stay away in droves and the bikes sit on the showroom floor like a stale bottle of DA!

This isn't just true of bikes with 'Sporting' pretensions either. The wretched V9's have been available for a couple of years now and only now that they are being deeply discounted are people starting to buy them, (In the US at least. Over here you still can't give them away!). I mean when did we get the first post from a V9 owner here on WG? A couple of months ago? And there are still only a couple of owners contributing or asking questions, one of whom had a bike that's stuck in the dealer with something wrong with it!

(Spittle-flecked Rant Mode off!)

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
Kev, just google "Moto Guzzi MGS 01". You will find many pics.

John Henry
Oh yeh, thanks for that. Cool [emoji41] bike for sure but it never got off the ground as a sport bike did it ? 

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
Do you always have to wake me out of my dream as I'm getting to the good part. I just want to believe it can happen and ignore the facts, but thanks for the truth. (Again)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
Oh yeh, thanks for that. Cool [emoji41] bike for sure but it never got off the ground as a sport bike did it ? 

Nup

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
It would be funny to see a sport Guzzi marketed now.  I can see the comments.  "Lousy riding position.  Handlebars too low.  Can't pack a weeks worth of stuff.  Not good for touring."   :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »
Do you always have to wake me out of my dream as I'm getting to the good part. I just want to believe it can happen and ignore the facts, but thanks for the truth. (Again)
Lol, I just woke up after dreaming we had a big earthquake- a not uncommon event here in kiwi land.

I checked geonet.co.nz for any reported shakes and none.

Turns out my missus was shaking me to stop the snoring [emoji42]

Zzzzzzz

Keep dreaming Huzo :-)

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
I suspect the good folks at Moto Guzzi probably cringe when they hear their bike and the rider of same called a bastard, and their beloved CARC an ass, even though they all are terms of endearment in Australia and part of the common jargon.  Maybe if you re-write it as cazzo and stronzo, their ears might perk up a bit!  :)

Keep dreamin!  It's a good dream, a great dream in fact,  but like all such dreams you're just going to wake up in the wet spot...OR, you could build one yourself!!

You've got the skills Huzo - should be easy enough to put the donk in the bonk and the cork in the dork and you'd have your own RED BASTARD to ride...and you could ship it alongside the Norge to Mandello, drive it up to the factory and show the bastards what you have done!  You'd be an honorary Guzzi factory worker for sure or just send them pics and see what they say!

They might even name it the Huzzini!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »
I suspect the good folks at Moto Guzzi probably cringe when they hear their bike and the rider of same called a bastard, and their beloved CARC an ass, even though they all are terms of endearment in Australia and part of the common jargon.  Maybe if you re-write it as cazzo and stronzo, their ears might perk up a bit!  :)

Keep dreamin!  It's a good dream, a great dream in fact,  but like all such dreams you're just going to wake up in the wet spot...OR, you could build one yourself!!

You've got the skills Huzo - should be easy enough to put the donk in the bonk and the cork in the dork and you'd have your own RED BASTARD to ride...and you could ship it alongside the Norge to Mandello, drive it up to the factory and show the bastards what you have done!  You'd be an honorary Guzzi factory worker for sure or just send them pics and see what they say!

They might even name it the Huzzini!
That's a great post PJ very humorous. I'll print it off and put it on the wall, I love it when people talk about me, 'saves me doing it myself !! :rolleyes: Now that I've been dragged kicking and screaming back to reality, what frame is under that dripping bodywork, is it a clean sheet design, or tarted up from something else ?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:08:13 PM by Huzo »

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2017, 04:06:47 PM »

R U dreaming about that sport bike ya don't want...... sure you are.   :violent1:

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
R U dreaming about that sport bike ya don't want...... sure you are.   :violent1:

Paul
Maybe it's a bit like perving on the cute girl and saying all you really want us a quiet drink, you don't actually have pretentions of anything more, until you start messing around. (If you get the chance that is)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:25:04 PM by Huzo »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here