Author Topic: Norge Throttle body linkage  (Read 3099 times)

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
Norge Throttle body linkage
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:58:11 AM »
So apparently I have a pretty unusual situation for which neither my local dealer, nor Moto International has a reasonable solution.

One of the plastic sockets on the throttle body synchronization linkage that snaps onto the throttle body butterflies (?) has gotten loose or has cracked internally such that it will from time to time fall off the throttle body which immediately brings the engine to an idle.  I'll admit it was a bit disconcerting the first time it happened, but now I have it double zip tied to keep it in place.

I'm told that the only way to get that piece is to order a replacement throttle body.  Seems a bit excessive to me.  MI told me about a dealer in Guam having a Griso that had a similar problem in that this same part broke in two.  Guzzi Technical Center told them they would have to replace the throttle body as well.

Anyone experience this issue and/or have a solution?  Pete? Bueller?

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

pete roper

Re: Norge Throttle body linkage
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:38:34 AM »
Luckily for you I ave a few buggered sets of TB's with good linkages. As long as micha k ows tne drill  and I'm sure he does  I'll flick you one. Cst of postage to mediciens sans frontiers.

My origiinal TB's did the same thing.

Pete

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 02:00:16 PM »
Luckily for you I ave a few buggered sets of TB's with good linkages. As long as micha k ows tne drill  and I'm sure he does  I'll flick you one. Cst of postage to mediciens sans frontiers.

My origiinal TB's did the same thing.

Pete

Thanks Pete - that would be wonderful.

Doctors without borders is a great organization.  I always thought it would be great to fly for those folks.  Unfortunately I never ended up where they were.

I'll PM you my details.

And again, thanks,

jdg
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
Greetings jdg,
 If you could post a picture of this POS connector I'd be curious how close it is to the crap plastic heim they used on other Guzzi's. I found a cure to my situation by using a Mercedes trans linkage heim made of real metal............Ju st Curious.

Paul B. :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 02:46:39 PM »
Greetings jdg,
 If you could post a picture of this POS connector I'd be curious how close it is to the crap plastic heim they used on other Guzzi's. I found a cure to my situation by using a Mercedes trans linkage heim made of real metal............Ju st Curious.

You beat me to it, Paul. Shirley :smiley: they're different, or someone else would know about the Merc part.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »
Greetings jdg,

This is from a thread here on syncing throttle bodies on a Breva, but it's the same part.

My understanding is that there is a plastic insert in the housing that can wear out over time.  Mine also gets oil deposited there so I'm sure that does not help.

At any rate, that ball socket no longer reliably stays in place.  I can knock it off the throttle body ball very easily, and if I'm riding on rough roads, it can drop off by itself.  Very disconcerting.

I currently have two small zip ties keeping it in place.  One tie goes around the plastic housing and the other around the activator arm.  Here's what one with 76,000 miles on it looks like...

Can you point me to the Merc part number or application?  When I get the replacement part from Pete (thanks again, sir!) I'll take it down to my local Mercedes folks and match it up.

jdg

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:24:32 PM by jdgretz »
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »
You'll have to go to a seance. Todd at MPH RIP used to be the source. Maybe Mike still knows about them..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
 Okay jdg, these show to be the part number i bought but mine didn't come with the nylon part on themhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Set-of-2-AT-Shift-Linkage-Bushings-Lemfoerder-000-991-38-22-Mercedes-190C-/111978901038?hash=item1a12766e2e:g:L3sAAOSwYmZXHgUN&vxp=mtr

Mine looked like this...

be sure they are right hand thread 'cause they make lefty's too!

Happy Hunting,
Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »
Pete may have an easier way to do this, but here's how I handled it.

I had this problem several years back on my 2008 Norge. It can be fixed (with care) using a 7" Heim joint throttle linkage available from hot-rod shops. Get the one that uses a left-threaded joint at one end of the rod and a standard at the other. One Heim joint will need to be left-thread, and will need a corresponding lock-nut. These are normally sold in sets.

The type you're looking for has a short threaded rod in the center of the Heim joint - you can use the standard type with a hole, but that makes everything more involved. Take your old connecting rod and (using a caliper) CAREFULLY measure the distance between the center of the holes where the ball connectors insert, and write it down. Then do it again. Then do it again. Then set the rod aside where you can find it in case you still made a mistake. Getting this wrong is akin to messing with the famous sacred screw.

Using a rotary grinder and (if needed) a drill, remove the old ball connectors from each throttle body lever (they are pressed in place). Make sure the holes left are the correct size for the threaded rods coming out of the Heim joints. Use your calipers again to set the new threaded rod assembly's length (to the center of each Heim joint) to exactly match that of the old one. Put it in place on the throttle body pair using nuts, washers and lock washers (as well as some loctite) on the short screws from the Heim joints. Measure it again, and adjust as needed. Tighten the locknuts on the linkage rod and check again (am I dounding repetitive?). Before putting everything back in place, start the bike and see that everything's running properly or nearly so. If it is, go ahead and button it all up.

After doing anything like this, it's a good idea to run through the usual maintenance items - balance throttle bodies, set TPS, and all the rest.

I went this route because the plastic ended rod and its components cannot be ordered as a service part, and with the miles I put on my Norge any lesser fix would need attention again. I did this at about 55,000 miles, and I now have 120,000 - and no need to revisit the fix.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 05:55:38 PM »
for a temporary fix, I wonder if you could make the ball a little larger? like wrap a piece of a latex glove or something around the ball?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
for a temporary fix, I wonder if you could make the ball a little larger? like wrap a piece of a latex glove or something around the ball?

When my Centauro did this long ago, for a temporary fix, I heated the plastic with a heat gun and squeezed it to make it tight again.
The permanent fix was like ITsec described.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 03:18:25 AM »
.......CAREFULLY measure the distance between the center of the holes where the ball connectors insert, and write it down. Then do it again. Then do it again. Then set the rod aside where you can find it in case you still made a mistake. Getting this wrong is akin to messing with the famous sacred screw........

This strikes me as the most important bit of everything.

I wasn't over thrilled at seeing that the ball joints were plastic  :angry:

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

pete roper

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 03:48:46 AM »
The problem isn't that they are plastic. It's the fact that they are not sold as a spare part that is the issue.

Pete

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 05:49:21 AM »
Very True ... unless the objective is to flog complete throttle body assemblies that is
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »
If... they are the same as the Centauro.. once I put the metal one on it I never had another problem.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here