Author Topic: Laptop Hell  (Read 6298 times)

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Re: Laptop Hell
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »
Some stores, such as Micro Centers sell some new items as refurbished. I asked one of the sales people what's that all about, and they told me they are actually new never used, just one generation older or manufacture inventory overflow from seasonal leftovers and such. Not sure if that is the case here, but sometimes refurbished could mean NOS in our motorcycle terms, but can't be sold as new that for whatever internal accounting reasons.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
Ever since they started using transistors, (and I can remember those old days), it has been downhill ever since.

:rolleyes:

Penderic, transistors are a passing fad.  In time they'll go back to vacuum tubes.

Btw, great photo!

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/sch/shop-arrow-direct/m.html?item=382877089635&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

or go directly to their online store outside ebay.

This company seems to be ok, The $200 hp zbook I bought from them was supposed to have a camera, it didn't. They refunded $25 no problem.

My wife and boy are using refurb 14 inch elitebooks with i5 processor. They are very satisfied with performance.

Make sure to chose a business level machine. Make sure it has windows 10 installed.

No matter what you do, you will have to zap (or ignore) apps that windows 10 automatically add, and then install what you really want and need.

Don

Edit: I will never buy a dell again. If for any reason the laptop loses it's handshake with the power supply they would not charge. Went through a bunch of power supplies that would run the computer fine, but would no longer charge.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:57:26 PM by xackley »
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2019, 03:46:15 PM »
Don, I sent back the 2nd Dell for same reason, would not charge.  My computer tech said it was common Dell issue.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2019, 03:46:15 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »
Just an update.  I sent the broken laptop back and according to FedEX the seller has had it for 12 days.  Newegg just sent me an e-mail advising that the seller has finally confirmed receipt of defective laptop and they were going to approve my refund within 5 (more) business days.  So far I've been documenting all of this with Paypal as well as Newegg.

I am still holding my breath for the refund, but at a minimum, it looks like they want to make all the hay they can on the float. 

I am thinking about going away from the name brand laptops and considering a custom "gaming" laptop with Clevo chassis.   They don't cost much more than the low line "business" name brand laptops. 

I'd prefer to get my refund before purchasing a new one but this HP is literally falling apart and the power connection is now going out.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »

.... but at a minimum, it looks like they want to make all the hay they can on the float. 

There is accelerating use of "float" as a business tactic in many automated areas.

For example, when I use my bank credit card, the "interest" clock starts the second that I use it.   However, the status of the purchase shows as "Pending" on my bank website, and it does NOT allow me to make a payment on the card until status changes from "Pending" to "Complete".   So the clock has run anywhere from 3 to 5 calendar days before I am allowed to make a payment.  I can usually catch it before interest actually starts to accrue, but they make you start 5 days "in the hole" while the "computers" take 5 days to do something.

Or when I "unsubscribe" from some Email distribution list that I somehow got on.   I can go to the site and submit a change to "Unsubscribe", whereupon I get a message saying that it may take 8 - 10 business days for the status change to take effect.   

The very cats in the street know that this is B. S. of the highest order.    If they had an interest in really stopping the Emails, the computers would make the change in literally 50 milliseconds or so.  Instead, because it's important to them to keep sending messages out, they take a period of time that is 2,000,000 times longer than necessary, just in order to keep me "on the hook".

You can only take so much of this gratuitous diddling with a smile, which is why I do not use very many kinds of technology that other people consider essential.

You sound like you're on your way to the right kind of computer, though.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
John L 

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
There is accelerating use of "float" as a business tactic in many automated areas.

For example, when I use my bank credit card, the "interest" clock starts the second that I use it.   However, the status of the purchase shows as "Pending" on my bank website, and it does NOT allow me to make a payment on the card until status changes from "Pending" to "Complete".   So the clock has run anywhere from 3 to 5 calendar days before I am allowed to make a payment.  I can usually catch it before interest actually starts to accrue, but they make you start 5 days "in the hole" while the "computers" take 5 days to do something.

Or when I "unsubscribe" from some Email distribution list that I somehow got on.   I can go to the site and submit a change to "Unsubscribe", whereupon I get a message saying that it may take 8 - 10 business days for the status change to take effect.   

The very cats in the street know that this is B. S. of the highest order.    If they had an interest in really stopping the Emails, the computers would make the change in literally 50 milliseconds or so.  Instead, because it's important to them to keep sending messages out, they take a period of time that is 2,000,000 times longer than necessary, just in order to keep me "on the hook".

You can only take so much of this gratuitous diddling with a smile, which is why I do not use very many kinds of technology that other people consider essential.

You sound like you're on your way to the right kind of computer, though.

Lannis

If you are being charged interest on a purchase immediately, as opposed to end of the month, you need a new card.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
agree

I get 1% back on mine which is 1% cheaper than cash- not counting the float.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:11:46 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
If you are being charged interest on a purchase immediately, as opposed to end of the month, you need a new card.

I looked back and saw I used the words "interest clock", which was confusing.   I meant not that interest would actually accrue at that moment, but the time starts approaching upon which interest will be charged, which I never want to happen.   

I pay the card off every day before bedtime.   Until a specific time or end-of-month point has been reached, interest does not actually get charged.   But since you can't pay the balance until they take the "pending" flag off, you check, can't pay it, check, can't pay it etc.   Then maybe you go on vacation or do something else, and suddenly the time is up and interest starts accruing.   Their "pending" thing causes you to lose almost a week toward not letting that happen.

My card also (as lowryter's does) earns 1% back on each purchase, which I use to pay the balance down every time it hits $100.

The general comment is still valid - when someone tells you that it takes days for a computer to do something in which a human is not involved, you're being snookered.

Lannis

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2019, 05:25:25 PM »
Lannis,  Newegg just e-mailed me that they've approved my refund and I should get it within 3-5 business days. 

what a rip off. 
John L 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 07:22:38 PM »
Lannis,  Newegg just e-mailed me that they've approved my refund and I should get it within 3-5 business days. 

what a rip off.

Sounds pretty good to me!   That's where my last laptop came from .....

Lannis

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »
Sounds pretty good to me!   That's where my last laptop came from .....

Lannis

No way will I ever get anything from Newegg again.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
Finally got notice of my refund. 
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »
I decided to order a custom "gaming" laptop.  Ordered it over the phone, it's better equipped than Lenovo that failed me for less money.  The guy was friendly, knows that I want it tested for sure.  Going to be delivered to me on Tuesday. 

John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here