Author Topic: Canisterectomy - where to plug?  (Read 1725 times)

clearcan

Canisterectomy - where to plug?
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:58:24 AM »
Hello all,

2008 Norge, I went in to to a canisterectomy this morning and low and behold it looks like a previous owner already did it! Well at least they disconnected the lines. Question is... Is it all set up properly.

The two lines from the tank go to a t fitting that also connect to a line that I believe goes down to the carc. I just don't know where to look to see if they plugged the third line that From what I have read, goes to the throttle bodies. Where should I be looking to trace that one back? Should I remove he tank?

Here are some pictures. The last one is under the rear brake that shows a plugged line, not sure where that goes to.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Canisterectomy - where to plug?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:09:17 AM »
Line between TB is under intakes, there is a "T" on top of trans. Look right above the starter for hose on top of trans, line snakes back and up through frame to frame rails.

Hose that has plug is oil drain for airbox.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 07:39:54 AM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

clearcan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 07:44:11 AM »
Ah I gotcha, diagram I was looking at showed the line under the TB and I didn't realize the line kept going, so I will start there

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »
What is the can there for? How does it achieve its design purpose?

You're smart? Think!

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »

biking sailor

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:33:52 AM »
On my 1200 Sport, when new, would not idle for 30 sec to a minute when setting in the heat, 95* F, and starting from cold.  I would have to hold the throttle open to keep it running.  After that time period, it would run and idle fine.  I believe the thermal expansion of fuel gasses pushing into the canister was over riching the fuel, possibly confusing the ECU until the extra fuel was burnt up.  This was my logic and I, of course, believe it to be correct. 

Anyway, as a test I just pulled the hoses off the intake fittings, plugged hoses and fittings and the problem went away.  I eventually removed the canister, running the tank vent straight to the check valve that runs down to swing arm.  Basically followed the schematic of Euro bikes that do not have the cannister.  I think the Euro hose routing was in the service manual I had been given as a CD when I bought the bike from MI.

When I traded for the Stelvio, I had the idle issue once and immediately disconnected and plugged the canister hoses to the intakes, and ran a hose between the two intake fittings, connecting them together (I had hose but no caps to fit them, so that was easier at the time).

Never had a negative issue again.  Hope this helps.

Mother Road Motorsports is Tulsa's exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer
Oklahoma's premier Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa and now Ducati dealer
Great service, Great selection, Friendly Environment! Come see us on Route 66.
Advertise Here