Author Topic: Well, the Agostini engine guard works.  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
Well, the Agostini engine guard works.
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:43:50 AM »
Went down last night. First time in 32 years.

Was only doing about 45 km/h, but, due to a combination of factors, I needed to take our "backup" road home last night. It was raining buckets all day yesterday, and the construction on our "first choice" road meant it was absolutely unusable (mud a foot deep, rutted, about as bad a road can be while still being called a road).

My ride went fine, until it didn't. Road was muddy, but solid... and then all of a sudden, I hit a spot where the entire road just turned to goo. Back end fishtailed a bit, stayed up, stayed in control... and a few meters later, I was on my right side, sliding in the mud. Engine guard and bar end mirror took the brunt of it. Mirror is fine, just twisted around, engine guard is pushed back towards the jug a couple inches on the right side, and has some scratches, but didn't contact the engine, bike collected about 50 pounds of thick, sticky mud in every place that would attract it.

Went back to look at the spot afterwards... tracks show that I recovered from the fishtail, and then hit the boggy spot... honestly, when I went back, I couldn't even walk in the area without waddling like a penguin, every step was a 12" slide.  I saw where I planted my right foot as the bike started going down, where I slid in the mud, and where the bike slid for about 8 feet.

Bound to happen at some point, considering where I live and what the roads can be like, and, in hindsight, was a good thing. I needed a reminder of how fast shit can head south, and better to get it sliding in mud than on pavement.

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Well, the Agostini engine guard works.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:48:51 AM »
I’m glad you and your bike are okay!

Mud must certainly be better than pavement if you are going to go down. Perhaps knobby tires would have helped?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
I use Heidenau K60s... as knobby as is practical for me, seeing as how half the daily commute is asphalt. Honestly, they're a great tire for my riding conditions.

I don't think a change in tire would have helped, honestly.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
Glad you're ok and had a soft landing. I guess the heat from the engine baked the mud on good and hard in places.

Glenn

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
Glad you are safe!

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:33:37 PM »
Sounds like Peace River gumbo, clay silt. Lovely stuff....
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
That's the pits, TC.  glad you didn't take a beating.  Pummeled crash bars are a badge of honor.  Extra points if you don't get hurt.   :afro:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here