Author Topic: Luddite tests a V85  (Read 1151 times)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
Luddite tests a V85
« on: July 25, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
Am in UK for summer and finally got to see and ride the v85, it had only just got to Aus just before I left, so didn’t get the chance there. Robinsons Foundry in Canterbury let me have a run on their demo. Brief comments.
The good
Motor is everything they promised, pulls from go to whoa, fuelling perfect
Suspension more than I expected out of the box, would maybe never change / modify.
Slow speed riding totally brilliant, loads of lock, can stand on pegs and crawl effortlessly.
Not a screen or fairing man but screen at 80mph works for little ol me, in crouch, out of wind, completely

The not for me
Carries way too much weight, feels as heavy as my Tonti BB’s, way more than my 8v SB.
Muffler is a mile from tyre, forcing any bag out, pointless. That needs immediate fixing to be a traveller. Aftermarket prob already fixed that.
Ditto the rack/ grab rail thing, needs half what it has, if that, it gets in the way just getting on or off..
Might get flamed for this but is not as pretty in real life as in pics, I really hate plastic bits that do nothing, tank shrouds straight in bin if I buy one, along with ABS pump and muffler.
Also plastic side panels make it wider than needed, seat height is good but a bit narrower for my 31” inseam would suit me
Would definitely try with only one disc, our Scrambler has more than enough brakes with one, once this loses some weight, should be same, therefore losing a bit more, unsprung.
Make wheels tubeless, obviously
TFT dash does nothing for me at all, I like digital but simple speedo with trip enough.

OK,enough nitpicking, with a few hours I could fix the niggles, this is the bike they should have made 25 years ago, if this had come instead of Quota, Guzzi would have outdone BMW. Maybe not too late, the aftermarket and the fussy can totally sort this. No reason at all to suspect nightmares like the last few engines. I believe in pushrods, so glad they’ve come good on promise.
So I have asked to rent one for Mandello trip in September for 98th anniversary do, we’ve already rented house, am going on Tonti BB or this.
Hope I take the v85, 2500 mile test will be enough,

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Luddite tests a V85
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »
Nice critique, Martin. Yes, a couple of thousand miles should sort it.

I've had a couple of looks at them, and concluded that modifying it for me would likely be a way too difficult proposition. I still prefer a forward lean for serious long distance, bars wouldn't be a problem, but the pretty footpeg superstructure would have to go, and the exhaust system would need rerouting. Way beyond my pay grade. I wonder how much weight you could lose? Met a bloke who used to race CX500's back in the day - those could comfortably lose 60kg. So there's always a way.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »
Nice critique, Martin. Yes, a couple of thousand miles should sort it.

I've had a couple of looks at them, and concluded that modifying it for me would likely be a way too difficult proposition. I still prefer a forward lean for serious long distance, bars wouldn't be a problem, but the pretty footpeg superstructure would have to go, and the exhaust system would need rerouting. Way beyond my pay grade. I wonder how much weight you could lose? Met a bloke who used to race CX500's back in the day - those could comfortably lose 60kg. So there's always a way.
Quote went up without answer
Added again,

You undersell yourself, Mal, but there’s no escaping the $ for zorst and  if you need to modify the superstructure. Good word and I think I know what you mean, somehow massive yet fragile looking at the same time. Looks like simple fall has to break pillion peg mount at least. But, for what it’s worth, rider peg location is good fit for me, esp standing, same with bars, feet up u turns a doddle, very narrow roads here and feels like it would be same on bumpy goat track in woop woop too, balance point like a trials bike. Didn’t have pillion yesterday but will for Italy trip, not expecting any problem with that. At speed I fell into normal road bike crouch, could maybe drop bars inch or so but isn’t ridiculous like our Scrambler was, bars came straight off that, felt like remote steering !
Take one for longer ride if you can, is leagues ahead of anything before it from Mandello IMHO
Some bits I forgot to write
Clutch is perfect
Box does crunch, far more than old tonti 5 speed but may break in
But when I got back on mine, I missed gears twice, I never do that
Obvious really, throw on v85 is really short, hence the clunk. Long throw on old one lets you feel your way in.
Not sure which is better but v85 definitely easier for those not used to engine speed clutch.
Now I want to take one in scrub for skids and wheelies, guess I need the app to piss off tc and abs,, bet it’s dynamite when they’re gone.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:55:21 AM by jacksonracingcomau »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 04:43:17 PM »
I took a ride today.  Nice and refined bike.  My only bitch would be the Adventure set up, I didn't care for the tall seat, high bars and that big front wheel made turn a little tippy and not stable.  But that ain't a criticism to the V85, I am just not that comfy with a dirtbike feel on the street.  You adventure riders will probably like it.  Otherwise the feel and balance and the brakes were great, the bike felt very refined.  Very smooth.

The big question is the engine and power and I'd say it's adequate and pretty good for Guzzis.  This one is helped by the gearing to keep it lively and responsive whether in town or on highway.  I got into the limiter in first gear, I was surprised the redline was under 7k considering the low gearing.  I easily got to 75 on highway in just a short section of urban interstate.  The engine is very refined and smooth, take up and acceleration is smooth and no glitches or surges.  Shifted nice too.      NOTE:  The road test in Rider magazine said the redline was 7800 rpm, for some reason this bike was set at 6900 (?).  Perhaps this was set up as demo bike or break in?   Not sure of the disconnect there.

It's got a color LCD dash.  I did notice that gear change was only indicated after engagement, so if your looking down while shifting it goes blank and you won't see the gear until it's completed.  I occasionally hit the cruise control  switch instead of the turn signal.

The bike looks great, has some great features and should work for anyone wanting a refined Adv Bike.  I'd like to see a standard or sport touring version. 

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:29:36 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 04:43:17 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here