Author Topic: Personal reactions to emergencies  (Read 5171 times)

oldbike54

Re: Personal reactions to emergencies
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
 Man , some of you guys live dangerously  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2019, 10:31:45 PM »
I was learning self hypnosis from a therapist. She had undergone 2 surgeries without any anesthesia and she had the video to prove it. One surgery was a brief 20 minute hernia and the other was a 90 minute gynecological surgery that was surely quite delicate and painful.
She teaches how too go into a trance. She holds herself there, aware of her surroundings yet in a trance. I asked her what would she do if there was an acute emergency type of problem, like a bleeding issue or even heart problems. Her response was the same; she would remain in the trance. She said if she got upset and came out of the trance it would only make everything worse.

That's interesting. I've been operating on people for about 15 years and have never had anyone opt for no externally-derived anesthesia.  I'm pretty certain that my hospital wouldn't allow a patient to self-anesthetize via trance (or any other method for that matter) for a proper surgery. Maybe after filling out a pile of paperwork and having a slightly annoyed "oh you bet I'll be saying I told you so" anesthesiologist on stand-by?  Again, it's never come up. I had one guy who refused sedation for his colonoscopy. Went surprisingly well. He didn't have any metaphysical zen-like aspirations, no, he just wanted to be ok to drive later that day for a date. Seriously.

Nate
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:46:28 PM by Elevenminusoneblade »
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2019, 10:41:13 PM »
 Dunno , I recently had my sense of humor removed , no anesthesia was used .

Dusty

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 08:06:23 AM »
I always figured I had a few seconds to react to a situation and shift into plan B.   When a ladder came out from under me. There was no seconds for grabbing a gutter to hang from ect.  In a millisecond I was on my ass.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 08:06:23 AM »

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »
"I had one guy who refused sedation for his colonoscopy. Went surprisingly well. He didn't have any metaphysical zen-like aspirations, no, he just wanted to be ok to drive later that day for a date. Seriously."

And everyone in attendance thought, " What an asshole!"

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »
Time seems to slow way down for me.  I’m conscious I need to make decisions.

I wondered if I was the only one.. :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
And everyone in attendance thought, " What an asshole!"
LOL

This discussion has taken a turn into different territory - but I'll comment.

I've got a friend who gets his teeth worked on without Novocaine. I tell the Dentist to go light on it, but there are times I have to have more.

I recently spoke with a person who works in health care and is caring for her mother with Alzheimers. She said it's common and frequently happens that after anesthetics, older people come down with Alzheimers. Her mother broke a hip and afterwards lost her short term memory. That's the first time I'd ever heard the connection made between those two things.   

Offline bdlwet1

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »
back to subject........emer gencies are a common risk to those who drive 2 wheels as we are  greatly outnumbered by 4 wheel cages driven by many who have poor skills.  when riding, practice [situational awareness[[/b].  easily learned...that where do I point if this or that happens ahead of me.  Soon it will become a habit and that is a great start to managing the risks of riding.  The only experiences I have had have shown I do well assisting others in emergencies and am less tractable when I am hurt.  War, Prison-work, and First Responder experience have given me  a little trauma history.   Interesting topic.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
My number one area of danger I try to avoid doing alone is high voltage electrical work, 120 volt a.c. and higher.  Don't get that "next" 30 seconds to work thru the instantaneous disaster. 

I did the flight training continue flying while working thru the situation in flight school.  It is good training and has stuck with me.

Overcoming the adrenaline rush is tough though.  Fortunately it is very short and if you are aware of this fact and know to react with some foresight from training, it can be a life saver and or prevent further injuries or damage.   

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »
Sometimes you get squashed so quickly all you can hope for is time to heal
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2019, 10:06:10 AM »
That’s a fascinating question John.  Great thread idea.

Speaking for myself, and I am not trying to brag or sound tough.  Just honestly explaining.  I learned early on that I simply don’t react the way most people do in these situations.

Time seems to slow way down for me.  I’m conscious I need to make decisions.  But the pervading feeling is more like “wow, this is an interesting experience,” as opposed to “OMG I’m going to die.”  No feeling of fear, or concern about pain.

Well afterwards I may get shaky and consciously reflect on how bad the deal may have turned out.  But at the time it’s almost a feeling of bemusement.  I don’t freeze up, but instead think and excute on a plan. 

I heard on a radio show (BBC 4) about this as it has also happened to me on several occasions especially when in a real dangerous situation on the bike. It doesn't happen to me in every dangerous circumstance unfortunately.

A Neuroscientist was saying that when facing extreme danger the brain shuts down a lot of external processes and inputs to concentrate all resource only on the immediate life threatening problem.

He also stated that this accelerated/heightened processing is often felt by the subject as a slowing down of time, or of everything going into slow motion

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 10:14:30 AM »
Dunno , I recently had my sense of humor removed , no anesthesia was used .

Dusty

Perhaps you are naturally numb?  :laugh:   ..

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
I heard on a radio show (BBC 4) about this as it has also happened to me on several occasions especially when in a real dangerous situation on the bike. It doesn't happen to me in every dangerous circumstance unfortunately.

A Neuroscientist was saying that when facing extreme danger the brain shuts down a lot of external processes and inputs to concentrate all resource only on the immediate life threatening problem.

He also stated that this accelerated/heightened processing is often felt by the subject as a slowing down of time, or of everything going into slow motion

Yep, that describes it all right. I have always wondered why it happens to me. It has happened more than once.
Let me describe the infamous crash and burn of the old V700.
We're going into a corner.. not fast, it's a V700 for heaven's sake  :grin: when suddenly it high sides just like it hit a patch of ice. As we were going off on the low side, I thought, WTF? and saw the crash bar touch. Sparks started flying, and "Whoomp" a big fireball lit up. I thought, "Well, that's strange..there has to be fuel available for that to happen. Maybe the fuel crossover came apart and dumped fuel on the rear tire? Hmmm. Better prepare to crash. Double up my fists and cross my arms over my chest. Keep my legs together.. don't want to run into a post .. (!!)"
All this happened as I was leaving the bike. Probably in real time less than a half second.

All this happened in the time it took to leave the bike and hit the pavement.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 08:52:41 PM »
All this happened in the time it took to leave the bike and hit the pavement.

Truth of it is, this IS the shadow world, just as the native Americans and others believed. It's as real as we make it. Time is relative and just a measure of how much is happening per unit of it. Without any motion there is no time. I've heard that during WW2, there were people who spotted planes to determine who and what they were. it was discovered that everyone comprehended at different rates, and the really fast ones were used as spotters.

I've experienced that same phenomenon - time slowing down in an emergency. I think it's an ability we all have, but have agreed not to use it. Gotta have a game, you know? We've all heard about the mother who lifts a car off her infant child. Where'd she get the strength for that? Same thing.

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »
In my set of marking laps around the local star (42 down, heading for 43 this fall) I've had a couple occasions where, yes, time slowed way way down...

The most memorable was September 14, 2015... the day of my first, and to date, only:
Motorcycle wreck
Motor vehicle accident involving another motor vehicle (I've hit deer, those don't count)
Ambulance ride (1/2 mile from the wreck site to the field where they set the chopper down)
Helicopter ride (Terrible service, no in flight movie, no Coke, no peanuts, wouldn't even let me sit up to look out the windows)

So, yeah, you get the idea.... it was a bad day. Point being, I was cruising along on a two-lane blacktop road, minding my own business, heading to work on a sunny Monday morning. The road was straight, clean, no visibility issues at all... The red pickup made a left turn in front of me, and he never signaled. I saw him start to turn... and time got slow. For the rest of the world, it was all done in 1-2 seconds. For me... it felt like about half a minute.

I braked... locked up the rear, released it and got back on it. (Later confirmed by the state trooper whom I had go check for the evidence of where I said I was when the truck pulled in front of me) Got about half way to the wreck and realized I didn't have enough time or distance to stop... I did the last thing I could... I tried to veer left to get around behind him. That's when the guy driving the truck saw me and stood on his brakes. I saw my front tire hit his rear wheel. Then the rest of the bike and all of me piled into the side of the truck between the wheel well and the tailgate.

The impact knocked me out for a few seconds, and I woke up, laying on my back. Woke up, realized I'd been in a wreck, so I consciously did not move... did the quick self assessment, ie, wiggled fingers and toes, felt they were all still attached, and about that time the guy who had been out mowing his lawn came up to me and asked "Sir, are you okay?" I replied, rather calmly, "No, I believe I've been in a motorcycle accident, please call for an ambulance." He stood there for a few seconds with a look of disbelief on his face... Turns out he's an EMT, and had never seen someone wrecked who was that calm and composed.

Anyways, people ask how did I stay so calm? Well, I think part of it is genetics. Members of my family have this gift that when things happen, we go into a very calm, but very high, mental gear. We can be calm because we're processing everything that's going on around us, and we deal with it one step at a time. It just... happens. The other part is, yes, training. The MSF course, a bunch of training with the Boyscouts, and, self training for the Gunsite "Color Code"

White - Unprepared, this is the mental stage where if something happens, about all you can do is scream and run away.
Yellow - You're aware that threats exist, and you're looking for them, but there are currently none on your "radar."
Orange - Something done by some person caused you to label them as a potential threat. You still keep watching everything, but you're paying more attention to this one individual because of their behavior.
Red - The Orange threat that got your attention has turned actively hostile towards you. Time to do something...

I've found this can apply not just to "social engagements" but to driving, riding my motorcycle, basically ANY situation that involves other people. While the Color Code was developed as a set of loose guidelines that ends with you drawing a weapon to defend yourself, the mindset can be applied to a lot more of life.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:45 AM »
In all cases Do not let yourself touch something hard like a culvert, bumper, etc for that's where you get hurt. Ride it out.  In helicopter aviation we said you can ball 'em up but you cant wad them up. think of it like a sheet of paper. if you take that sheet and crumple it up into a ball, you can unfold it into a fair facsimile of a sheet of paper. If you wad that sucker up into a tight ball it destroys its structure and will be difficult to unwad into a sheet of paper. so if things turn to shite and you can avoid hitting something or avoid having it hit you, you can walk away. hit something and you will get hurt.  Another thing from helicopter aviation is termimology.  the correct phrase is: " Oh Shit, Oh dear" if bad things happen and like Chuck, you need to get out the "ball of Flames" checklist
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »

White - Unprepared, this is the mental stage where if something happens, about all you can do is scream and run away.
Yellow - You're aware that threats exist, and you're looking for them, but there are currently none on your "radar."
Orange - Something done by some person caused you to label them as a potential threat. You still keep watching everything, but you're paying more attention to this one individual because of their behavior.
Red - The Orange threat that got your attention has turned actively hostile towards you. Time to do something...

I've found this can apply not just to "social engagements" but to driving, riding my motorcycle, basically ANY situation that involves other people. While the Color Code was developed as a set of loose guidelines that ends with you drawing a weapon to defend yourself, the mindset can be applied to a lot more of life.

And there are little ditties that go along with these.   I know two of them ..

White - "When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout"

Orange - "When in doubt, whip it out."

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here