Author Topic: Sturgis any one?  (Read 2491 times)

Offline EmRach199

• New Egg
Sturgis any one?
« on: July 28, 2019, 10:37:05 PM »
My husband and I are leaving a bit later for Sturgis MC Rally. Any one wanna come with us?

Excited to meet people and enjoy the events there.

Looking forward to get my new earplugs from Big Ear and also buy other new riding gears there.

See you there.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Sturgis any one?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:23:18 AM »
No, and my Big Ear stuff was not at all good.  Just sayin.............. ....
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »
No, and my Big Ear stuff was not at all good.  Just sayin.............. ....
Did you mean..
No thank you, but I hope you have fun ?     Just sayin.............. ....
For heaven’s sake mate, don’t be seen to show any interest. I bet if they wanted a dead sheep under their arses, you’d be all over them like an ill fitting seat cover..
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:59:06 AM by Huzo »

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »
I've been to the rally several times the last time was 2017. Although it is quite the spectacle, and the Black hills riding is amazing , the next time I go will be an off rally week. Enjoy your trip be safe, a lot of congestion and distracted drivers out there.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 07:00:34 AM »
My husband and I are leaving a bit later for Sturgis MC Rally. Any one wanna come with us?

Looking forward to get my new earplugs from Big Ear and also buy other new riding gears there.

See you there.
Have fun guys, would be a fantastic event... :thumb: :bike-037:

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 07:07:02 AM »
While stationed in Colorado Springs 10 of us rode to Sturgis for bike week. I believe it was 2002. None of us have been back. It was a good time but not something I need to do again.

Have fun and be ready for all the folks unloading their bikes outside of town. I was really shocked at how many folks trailer their bikes to a bike rally.

T4

Edit, I hope this wasnt a pitch for ear plugs??
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:12:01 AM by T4halo »
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 08:21:54 AM »
They asked, I answered.  Wasn't enough verbage for you?  Sorry about that.  The idea of 200,000 bikes in one place at one time-no, thanks.
But to each their own-no matter to me.  As for Big Ear, I was trying to be polite.  I think, based on personal experience, the product under delivers.  Knowing about the process almost any quick cure silicone based material is not the ideal for this intended use.  It works for a while but, kike almost everything, there are trade-offs.  Want them to set up in a hour or two?  Fine.  But realize they very well may shrink or otherwise change shape in a limited amount of time based on various environmental factors.  Some get them and are pleased.  Some expect more.

And yes, I mean "no, thank you, and have fun."  I'll add "enjoy yourself and be careful".  Along with "don't smoke in bed, never pet a burning dog, and don't set yourself on fire".

Finally, let me know when your product for the motorcycle industry gets 5 out of 5 stars rating.  I'll wait right here.  In the meantime, I'll continue to suppy sheepskin users all over the globe, including the two Aussies in the USA right now that just took delivery of two covers.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:28:47 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 08:28:54 AM »
Woooo Hooooo !

Have a great time !

:bike-037:

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
 Nice morning here , rainy , any chance we can not ruin it by having a hoo haw waving contest ? Thanks .

I vetted the OP , seems we are OK fellas , just a Guzzi owner who is young enough to still get excited about things .

About Sturgis , if you stay on the fringes lots of cool stuff happens , you might be surprised at how many Moto Guzzis show up .

Dusty

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 08:51:11 AM »
Sunday (4th) is the Sturgis TT and Tuesday (6th) is the Rapid City 1/2 Mile.  It might get lost in the overall throng on mainstreet, but Flattrack racing is the very reason for the whole Sturgis bikewheek in the first place.  In any event, have a good time.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
The idea of 200,000 bikes in one place at one time-no, thanks.

I went in 2000, and the estimate was 500,000-600,000 bikes. It was fun and something worth doing once.

Rich A

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »
I went in 2000, and the estimate was 500,000-600,000 bikes. It was fun and something worth doing once.

Rich A

I've always been a bit dubious about attendance claims at these big rallies . There were two rallies held in Pawhuska OK , one Spring and one Fall event . The organizers claimed the combined the total attendance made the Pawhuska events the 3rd largest bike gatherings in the US , which is nonsense . The rally in Fayettville AR has claimed 200,000 attendees also , the organizers claim it is the 3rd largest . Now I've been to all three , if Sturgis had 500,000 , then F-ville had maybe 100,000 based on how large an area was covered in motorcycles and people . The Pawhuska event claimed 60,000 per rally , which was also nonsense . It's like a competition where the numbers get inflated . Kinda like the claims that Woodstock saw 500,000 hippies rolling around in the mud , more likely 200,000 .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »

See you there.

just curious, where are you going to stay?

I went in 2000 and it's huge.  I have little doubt that the crowds of half a million are true.  It seems like every town with 150 miles of Sturgis, in Wyoming and Nebraska, were having rallies.  It's possible to go to "Sturgis" and never physically go there.  In fact, I stayed at Custer Park and rode up there a couple of times.  The 60 mile road was bumper to bumper the entire way.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »
It'll be a blast. Take lots of pictures and report back.

Nate
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
Hope you have fun!
I spent a year in Rapid City, and loved the Black Hills, one of the prettiest places on earth.
To me, going to that rally is like going to Yellowstone or Yosemite at peak tourist season.
If you like spectacle and huge crowds, you will have a blast.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 10:11:37 AM »
Go and enjoy the crowds, high prices and noise. I went in '72 and returned to my bike finding someone sitting on my custom Ezberg seat. In my world you don't sit on another persons bike.

Beaver and I  returned to Sturgis during the off season and it was a pleasure as you could park and see pictures of the crowds. Enjoyable. I no longer enjoy the stop and go traffic of the big rallies like Sturgis, Daytona, etc. Cedar Vale. KS and Talihena, OK are my style.

Go so you can say BTDT.
Tex

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
Went to MT Rushmore as a kid and it would be great to see again but would never go during the rally. I have friends who have gone and had a great time but I personally hate the whole pirate mindset and really don't care to see Loverboy or Twisted sister.

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
Go and enjoy the crowds, high prices and noise. I went in '72 and returned to my bike finding someone sitting on my custom Ezberg seat. In my world you don't sit on another persons bike.

Beaver and I  returned to Sturgis during the off season and it was a pleasure as you could park and see pictures of the crowds. Enjoyable. I no longer enjoy the stop and go traffic of the big rallies like Sturgis, Daytona, etc. Cedar Vale. KS and Talihena, OK are my style.

Go so you can say BTDT.
Tex

Nice plug for Cedar Vale and the Okie Ken  :thumb:

The OP is much younger than most of us , like half the average age . Attending Sturgis is similar to visiting NYC , everyone should do it once , preferably while still young . I've told the story of hanging out with 20 some odd Vincent riders at the event , won't retell it here , but it was pretty dang cool .

Dusty

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
The OP is much younger than most of us , like half the average age .

You mean I'm NOT the only young'n around here? There's hope!  :laugh:

Personally, I've always been on the fence about Sturgis. Part of me wants to go once, just for the experience. On the other hand, I feel like the insane traffic and crowds will drive me insane.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Online Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 01:10:27 PM »
In 2017 we camped on the way out. We had no reservations for rooms when we got there but had no problem finding a room, stayed in a nice little family owned place in Custer and it was very reasonably priced. The attendance was down that year  drove right into town with plenty of parking. Been there other years and it was total gridlock. Be safe out there !!
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »
What’s wrong with Loverboy and Twisted Sister??? 

Kidding of course. But honestly, what harley guy listens to Loverboy??  My wife even agrees they’re kinda wimpy.
7th & 10th SF retired

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »
Nice morning here , rainy , any chance we can not ruin it by having a hoo haw waving contest ? Thanks .

I vetted the OP , seems we are OK fellas , just a Guzzi owner who is young enough to still get excited about things .

About Sturgis , if you stay on the fringes lots of cool stuff happens , you might be surprised at how many Moto Guzzis show up .

Dusty
Just a little courtesy to a couple of new posters Dusty.
Excited at the prospect and wanting to share.

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »
I have a twisted sister.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:16 PM »
I've never been much convinced by the arguments about things that I know I would hate, like "You've got to try it once just to say you've done it"  or "You won't know if you like it or not until you try it".   

There's a long list of things you could say that about.   Some of them are things that might happen in the showers in prison.   "How do you know you won't like it until you try it?   Until you've been there, you're just speaking from ignorance!"   Uh, no thanks.   I prefer ignorance.

You get the idea, anyway, without my adding to the list of examples...... !

Anyone who goes, I hope they ride safe and have a good time.   I'll be 2000 miles southeast and sidling toward the coast ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »
I've never been much convinced by the arguments about things that I know I would hate, like "You've got to try it once just to say you've done it"  or "You won't know if you like it or not until you try it".   

There's a long list of things you could say that about.   Some of them are things that might happen in the showers in prison.   "How do you know you won't like it until you try it?   Until you've been there, you're just speaking from ignorance!"   Uh, no thanks.   I prefer ignorance.

You get the idea, anyway, without my adding to the list of examples...... !

Anyone who goes, I hope they ride safe and have a good time.   I'll be 2000 miles southeast and sidling toward the coast ....

Lannis

I agree about missing Sturgis Rally, go if you're rally fan.  But not about missing the Black Hills.   Like the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, you've got to see Rushmore and Black Hills.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 10:55:28 PM »
 I never go East from here , the bugs and humidity are unbearable , and the crowds of people are horrible , or so I hear . Why risk it ?

Dusty

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 07:08:24 AM »
Hope you have a blast, the Black Hills are beautiful.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 07:15:40 AM »
I agree about missing Sturgis Rally, go if you're rally fan.  But not about missing the Black Hills.   Like the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone, you've got to see Rushmore and Black Hills.

Oh yeah.   On our long trip last year, we spent 3 days in and around the Black Hills and the Badlands and points all around.   

I had made the mistake of putting the town of "Wall" on the map to see what "Wall Drug" with free ice water and nickel coffee looked like.   Geeze Mareez, talk about a tawdry tourist trap, jammed up with old guys in shorts, black socks, and dress shoes.  The coffee wasn't bad but we just stayed long enough "to say we'd seen it" and 15 minutes after we left, we were nearing the Badlands, which IS worth the trip!

The Black Hills are worth a ride from anywhere ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:21:03 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2019, 07:40:27 AM »
Would never go to Sturgis, but I have tried to ride or at least drive the badlands 4 times while crossing the country...  every time, driving rain, snow, darkness or a mechanical snafu has caused me to drive right by :-(
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »
I just got back from a family trip to the Black Hills this weekend.  Absolutely beautiful as it was as green and lush as I have ever seen them.  Traffic wasn't too bad but already the Hills are alive with the sound of loud piped (and even louder radios) dressers as the early arrivals are already on their way.  I also stopped in to Wall Drug, first time I had been there since I was twelve.  It has certainly expanded in the sixty years since I last saw it and was an expensive stop as the wife stocked up on moccasins and potpourri and what not for the granddaughters.  If you have never been to the Hills, you need to go.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here