Author Topic: California stone weeping oil from swing arm?  (Read 645 times)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
California stone weeping oil from swing arm?
« on: July 29, 2019, 07:02:05 AM »
Ok so my 02 stone has a little weeping oil drip from the little hole in the swing arm near the  u joint area.  They put a weep hole there, so it must not be
Uncommon...   but anything I should
Be worried about? I haven’t done any diagnostic yet, just getting my ducks in a row at this point.  Wondering if it’s a trans or rear bevel box seal that’s causing it. Is there any thing common?   Something I should look for first? Is it normal and just wipe it up when it drips??  It’s not a lot.  There will be a drop on the garage floor after it sits a few days and a oily haze on the swingarm and peg bracket next to it
Paul B

pete roper

Re: California stone weeping oil from swing arm?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 07:55:19 AM »
It's the grub screw hole for the security screw for the UJ support bearing. While there *might* be an issue with a weepy seal or oil from the bevelbox migrating up the swingarm, (Do you ride two-up or heavily loaded often?) most likely it's just weepage from the bevelbox oil that gets flung up the swingarm.

Check the oil levels in your bevelbox and gearbox. If they aren't depleted by more than a few ml stop worrying and just clean the grub screw area with degreaser and then contact cleaner before smearing a smidge of silastic over it, (This can easily be pried out if you need to change the shaft.) end of problem until you get weeps from the stub axles that secure the swingarm.

Pete

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »
Just to echo what Pete said. My 2004 did the same, and I encountered a few others.

Just clean up the screw hole and put some sealant on it. Keep an eye on the level in the transmission and rear drive. It is very likely a non-issue, just a little leak around that set screw.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
Thanks guys!!  That’s why it’s great here!!  Ya it’s just a off and on drop so I figured it was not a huge deal.  Bike only has 9 k on it.  I’ll check fluids and keep a eye on it.
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here