Author Topic: V7 series- What did you change/add from original and why?  (Read 51169 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 series- What did you change/add from original and why?
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »
Good choice!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline grinmaul

• New Egg
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »

BAAK Fender Eliminator
BAAK Seat
GuzziTech Front Fork Air Kit
Custom Fabricated Screen
GuzziTech Head Protectors
Retro Valve Covers
Beatle Fuel Map
CRG Bar End Mirrors/Rhino Adapters
Pazzo Levers
GuzziTech Sump Extender
Mistral Exhaust

Just an fyi, your rear brake fluid looks black, my wifes had turned that colour as well, rather quickly if i recall, yet my stelvio fluid is clear, maybe its the hose they use on the v7's?

still going through the thread so apologies if noticed already.

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »
2013 V7S.
Just today, added the guzzitech full stainless exhaust. Reflashed ECU. Had the Seat Guy build my seat. Ikon rear shocks, Mupo front fork kit. HB mounts and bags, also have smaller bags. Little fairing from my 2003 Ti. Bar end mirrors, heated grips. Removed the silly chrome covers under the gas tank. Aluminum spoked wheels, sealed up for tubeless tires.
JB

John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 07:02:46 PM »
I must say, I do think there may be a V7 in my future. It's a nice size and power/weight ,and kitted out like some have shown here for moderate touring duties looks just right...

- P
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 07:02:46 PM »

Offline NorthernProducer

• New Egg
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »
Changes made to my wife's 2014 V7 Special include Dart windscreen, Throttlemeister cruise control, Guzzi accessory gel comfort saddle and replaced the OEM voltage regulator with the Shindengen FH020AA unit.  That's it so far.
USAF '67-72

Guzzi-less for the moment

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2017, 07:42:29 PM »
2014 V7 Stone

Lafranconi Competizione slip ons, and Beetle map.
BMW sport grips, and heated grip kit.
Ebay bar end mirrors, these required opening up the mounting holes to fit the stock bar end weights.
National cycle fly screen.
Hepco becker Journey rack, luggage mounts, and 40 liter Junior bags.
Ebay fork mounts, and led spot lights
Avon Trail Rider Tires, (front is a rear, flipped around)
First gear tank bag, that gets shared on other bikes.
Emgo top case.
Airhawk seat pad for my sweetie, I have one but rarely use it.
Agostini crash bars.
I think that is it.

photo uploading sites free

image hosting service free
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:04:28 PM by lorazepam »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2017, 08:08:32 PM »
What and why:

Luggage, 'cause I like to take trips.  Centerstand, because it makes it much easier to maintain the bike. Replacement seat now good for many miles, OEM hurt at 100 miles.

Windscreen and crash bars.  Protection from wind and road rash.  Works great!

GPS and heated gear.  Too lazy to look at maps and I don't like getting cold.

thermometer...just because.

horns.  You CAN hear me now.

OEM regulator was charging at 15V so I upgraded to Mosfet

Racetech shocks are so very much better than the OEM ones.  Also installed Racetech in forks. 
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Squinius

• New Egg
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2017, 03:49:42 AM »
I changed the shocks and forks straight away.  Much better for ME.
Agostini pipes cause the sound correct to my ears with a remap to match.
SW-Motec mirror extenders solves that problem.
And, I built my seat up 2 1/2 inches for a little leg room.

I knew I'd do this prior to purchase.  I made the bike what I wanted and no regrets at all.  Love the little bugger to death.
Hi - would you mind posting link to the SW-Motec extenders you bought? I can't spot which ones would be compatible with my V7 Stornello.  Thanks

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
Panniers. Initially I didn't like the look of them but the more I see them and the more I ride my bike the more I'm becomoing a convert.

Offline NorthernProducer

• New Egg
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
Hi - would you mind posting link to the SW-Motec extenders you bought? I can't spot which ones would be compatible with my V7 Stornello.  Thanks

Give Jack Fleming a shout at Jack@roadstercycle.com or call him at 310-766-5222.  He will most likely have a kit for your V7.
USAF '67-72

Guzzi-less for the moment

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
What and why:

Luggage, 'cause I like to take trips.  Centerstand, because it makes it much easier to maintain the bike. Replacement seat now good for many miles, OEM hurt at 100 miles.

Windscreen and crash bars.  Protection from wind and road rash.  Works great!

GPS and heated gear.  Too lazy to look at maps and I don't like getting cold.

thermometer...just because.

horns.  You CAN hear me now.

OEM regulator was charging at 15V so I upgraded to Mosfet

Racetech shocks are so very much better than the OEM ones.  Also installed Racetech in forks.

What Horn did you get???

I need louder one as always people love to just step out in front of me...and of course with their music blasting in their cars & earphones in their ears, my awesome beep beep doesn't work a damn
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2017, 10:55:28 PM »
I have the orange on black 2014 V7S, and quickly looked into many of the farkles described here to make it a better tourer, or even a 100 miler two-up.  Saw how expensive it got how fast and noticed a deal on a (slightly) used 2013 Stelvio with many of the comforts I was looking for...so that was my big mod to the V7!  Have spent all discretionary dollars on the Stelvio, but now a couple years in I can see the future: won't be horsing that Stelvio around when I'm 65 years old, so broke down and put a Puig windshield on the V7...red suspenders prolly the next expenditure!  Love them both.
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2017, 11:38:04 PM »
I have the orange on black 2014 V7S, and quickly looked into many of the farkles described here to make it a better tourer, or even a 100 miler two-up.  Saw how expensive it got how fast and noticed a deal on a (slightly) used 2013 Stelvio with many of the comforts I was looking for...so that was my big mod to the V7!  Have spent all discretionary dollars on the Stelvio, but now a couple years in I can see the future: won't be horsing that Stelvio around when I'm 65 years old, so broke down and put a Puig windshield on the V7...red suspenders prolly the next expenditure!  Love them both.
Steve
They're just such totally different things, v like my Sporty and my Road King, that I find it silly to even bring it into the same conversation.

That's not taking anything away from a Stelvio or CARC anything, but someone who wants one doesn't necessarily want the other.

And truthfully I haven't spent more on accessorizing my V7 than I have any other bikes in my life.

Hell my B11 got a windshield, bags, luggage rack, seat, topcase, crossover pipe, painted sponsoons, heated grips, and crash bars.... That's a set of shocks shy of what I added to the V7.

Anyway if we were just making an intellectual argument of dollars, you could buy a hell of a lot of touring and other accessories for a V7 for a lot less than a Stelvio. Shit you could probably still have enough left for a full bike from JAPanInc., not that I'd make that choice.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 06:10:15 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2017, 06:23:18 AM »
Intellectually, when it starts at $1200 to put HB racks and cases on a brand new $8000 bike (and that is just the start of the mods for the V7), I made the choice to put it toward another bike already fitted with many of the mods I was interested in.  Didn't say it was the same bike; said it was my personal decision.  Silly?  I've been called worse :huh:
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 Vespa 250ie

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
Intellectually, when it starts at $1200 to put HB racks and cases on a brand new $8000 bike (and that is just the start of the mods for the V7), I made the choice to put it toward another bike already fitted with many of the mods I was interested in.  Didn't say it was the same bike; said it was my personal decision.  Silly?  I've been called worse :huh:
No insult intended, if you've ever followed my posts you know I'm no stranger to silly.

I guess I was just reacting to the portions of your post that seem to be comparing a Stelvio to a V7 as somehow an answer to the original question of the thread (which was basically how did you accessorize your V7).

I mean it's one thing to say something like "I was going to rig it for touring but decided to go another direction and use a different bike for that" but to me it strikes me as funny to essentially say that I decided it was too expensive to rig for touring so I bought a whole different bike because they're different things at that point no matter how we slice and dice it.

But that said if money is supposed to be the "justification" I find it hard to believe it was "cheaper" to buy a used bike than to buy some luggage. But even if we accept that claim you still have apples and oranges.

And you mention other changes you would have made to the V7 but wouldn't those changes have enhanced the ownership experience of the V7 regardless of whether you had a Stelvio for touring also?

I guess I'm just saying it was a bit off topic at that point (but hey I do that too).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Flea

• New Egg
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
What Horn did you get???

I need louder one as always people love to just step out in front of me...and of course with their music blasting in their cars & earphones in their ears, my awesome beep beep doesn't work a damn

Not sure which one he has but I've heard tons of good things about this one. Check out the youtube
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-soundbomb-compact-air-horn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqgM8Z5RI38

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
1st thing I'd do is change it to a big block
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
Kev--whatev.  How many people here stopped with bags?  Seat, suspension, exhaust, windshield, crash bars, etc etc etc.  I am sure a number of the very excellent mods to the base v7's described herein have cost as much as the bike.  My intent was to describe where I went with it, not to denigrate the bike.  "Love them both" was my sign off.  And still do, and I admit my future plans are probably going to involve completely kitting out my V7.  And likely doubling my purchase price, or close enough that I won't be able to afford a Japanese make after all.  I can does mathuhmatics too...
2013 Stelvio NTX
2007 Vespa 250ie

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
Kev--whatev.  How many people here stopped with bags?  Seat, suspension, exhaust, windshield, crash bars, etc etc etc.  I am sure a number of the very excellent mods to the base v7's described herein have cost as much as the bike.  My intent was to describe where I went with it, not to denigrate the bike.  "Love them both" was my sign off.  And still do, and I admit my future plans are probably going to involve completely kitting out my V7.  And likely doubling my purchase price, or close enough that I won't be able to afford a Japanese make after all.  I can does mathuhmatics too...
I've kept a spreadsheet on the accessories I add to bikes in the past decade and a half or so. And it generally agrees with what I recall from the decade or so before that. I generally spend a couple of thousand on a bike in terms of things like windshield, seat, bags, crash bars etc. That includes the CARC I owned, and the Oilhead (bikes you could have argued should have been more uh well prepared for the road).

*Shrugs*

Truthfully the only one I ever got close to doubling the price on was the Jackal, but in it's defense it started exceptionally cheap and I wound up modifying it heavily both mechanically and cosmetically.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »

OEM tank strap, tank grips, side covers, center stand, rear rack
Dart flyscreen
ADV monster LED bulb
CRG barend mirrors
Vespa Grips
Renthal bars
Agostini crashbars and pillion pegs
Shindengen mosfet regulator
MAS injector covers
Knight Design lowered pegs
Skene visibility lighting front and back
SC Project 2-1 exhaust
GT-RX ECU flash
Matris front fork kit
IKON rear suspension
Brown SEM vinyl painted seat
And finally Genuine EBAY headlight grill, front turn signals, and motocross crossbar for my RAM mount

Can't forget the black plastidip and various black zipties either lol

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
Wow a 2 into one exhaust. Just today I fitted the Staintune mufflers I bought months ago. Early days but I'm not sure I want such an aggressive sound. First impressions in this thread  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=91923.0

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »
dvb - that SC-Projects exhaust system? Can you tell us more about it - how did the fitting go? Deat ails requested. How does it perform? Did the ECU adjust? Or did you have it re-mapped? Do the stainless headers discolour quickly (it looks like it) or did you do any pre-running treatment?

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »
Deat ails requested. How does it perform? Did the ECU adjust? Or did you have it re-mapped?

He lists a "GT-RX ECU REFLASH" which I believe means basically a Rexxer sold by Guzzitech with whatever mapping Todd has developed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:36:20 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
He lists a "GT-RX ECU REFLASH" which I believe means basically a Rexxer sold by Guzzitech with whatever mapping Todd has developed.

Yes, I figured a re-map would be wise, especially if going on the MUI G3 bike, but that only means increased familiarity with Guzzidiag (always a good thing) & more quality time with Mark, plus some more long rides to Wagga. And I have family there too.

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
Malik- The SC Project fitted up fine, if I didn't have the crash bars it would have been a 1 beer job, but manipulating it around the bars and lining stuff up and pulling exhaust springs with just one pair of hands turned it into a 2 beer job.

Performance is probably a wash, prevailing thought on most Harley forums say that a 2-1 is the ideal setup for performance but who knows. I mean you lose a good chunk of mass and maybe you get some lowered mass centralization but I'm not fooling myself into thinking I got any extra measurable ponies. It does FEEL a bit more quick and nimble to me though.

As far as fueling went I come from the KTM school of "adaptive fueling" so I kept the baffles and stock filter in and it ran fine (fine meaning no worse than stock) without a reflash, but I decided to throw a BMC filter in there too so I contacted Guzzitech to write me a map for my setup, one map w/ baffles and another w/o baffles. The reflash worked great, especially in my Brooklyn Queens Expressway commute where low speed/throttle is the name of the game if I'm not splitting, during bad traffic I can drop the revs on my bike down to below 1000 rpms before it starts trying to buck me off whereas before on my totally stock bike if I went under 3000 rpms the bike would buck and jerk if I wasn't modulating my clutch to death. All through the revs it feels so much smoother and punchier but peak power/top speed hasn't changed much for me.

The stainless steel did discolor pretty quick but alot of the discoloration now is just baked on road grime, the header that goes across the oil sump gets hit with alot of crud that gets kicked up by the front tire and whenever I bother to really clean the pipes the color lightens up quite a bit.

Pre-running treatment, I let all my sealants set up for 24 hours, wiped the exhaust down with WD-40 then I idled the bike for 15 minutes while various stuff smoked off the pipes.

Overall I love the SC Project 2-1, the looks, fit and finish are top notch, the sound is definitely different than the gurgle of a 2-2 pipe on a V7, it changed the whole character/attitude of my V7 closer to what I want my bike to be like. I see tons of V7's running around where I live and I've never seen another bike that has my exhaust, which is a point for the SC Project to me. The only downside for me is that I lost the ability to mount my chin fairing or a sump guard since the header runs right in front of the sump.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »
DVB, the prevailing thought on Harley forums that 2-1's are good is reality, for Harleys, especially when compared to the traditional non-crossover, prone to mid-range loss from reversion, setups like drag pipes.

But Harleys are famously choked by lack of pipe on purpose to get owners to spend on accessories and benefit greatly from opening up (10-20% on pipes and/or intake depending on the model and restriction point).

And even if they share a muffler one higher flowing muffler in a pipe that doesn't promote reversion is an improvement.

I understand you wondering about total volume, but I think it's a case that it's still more. And even though it's 2-1 I have to wonder if, even at high RPM, the cylinders are ever fighting for volume or each using it somewhat independently (think of the cadence at idle back and forth between cylinders).

Regardless, smallblocks don't generally benefit from such thing as they are largely more efficient from the factory.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:32:44 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2017, 01:37:36 AM »
Malik- The SC Project fitted up fine, if I didn't have the crash bars it would have been a 1 beer job, but manipulating it around the bars and lining stuff up and pulling exhaust springs with just one pair of hands turned it into a 2 beer job.

Performance is probably a wash, prevailing thought on most Harley forums say that a 2-1 is the ideal setup for performance but who knows. I mean you lose a good chunk of mass and maybe you get some lowered mass centralization but I'm not fooling myself into thinking I got any extra measurable ponies. It does FEEL a bit more quick and nimble to me though.

As far as fueling went I come from the KTM school of "adaptive fueling" so I kept the baffles and stock filter in and it ran fine (fine meaning no worse than stock) without a reflash, but I decided to throw a BMC filter in there too so I contacted Guzzitech to write me a map for my setup, one map w/ baffles and another w/o baffles. The reflash worked great, especially in my Brooklyn Queens Expressway commute where low speed/throttle is the name of the game if I'm not splitting, during bad traffic I can drop the revs on my bike down to below 1000 rpms before it starts trying to buck me off whereas before on my totally stock bike if I went under 3000 rpms the bike would buck and jerk if I wasn't modulating my clutch to death. All through the revs it feels so much smoother and punchier but peak power/top speed hasn't changed much for me.

The stainless steel did discolor pretty quick but alot of the discoloration now is just baked on road grime, the header that goes across the oil sump gets hit with alot of crud that gets kicked up by the front tire and whenever I bother to really clean the pipes the color lightens up quite a bit.

Pre-running treatment, I let all my sealants set up for 24 hours, wiped the exhaust down with WD-40 then I idled the bike for 15 minutes while various stuff smoked off the pipes.

Overall I love the SC Project 2-1, the looks, fit and finish are top notch, the sound is definitely different than the gurgle of a 2-2 pipe on a V7, it changed the whole character/attitude of my V7 closer to what I want my bike to be like. I see tons of V7's running around where I live and I've never seen another bike that has my exhaust, which is a point for the SC Project to me. The only downside for me is that I lost the ability to mount my chin fairing or a sump guard since the header runs right in front of the sump.

All sounds positive, but I have a spring puller (works handily on the Agostinis) so, I afraid, it might still be only a 1 beer job (I might be able to push it out to 2, if I try).

You have a 1TB bike that normally uses 2 lambda sensors - did your headers have the threaders for the 2? I spoke with SC-Project Oceania & they seemed to think that they could fit only 1 lambda. (But aa it is is built in Italy to order, it may not be the case). The whole system for the price of mufflers alone is attractive.

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2017, 02:23:31 AM »
Malik- I totally forgot about the sensors, they do have the sensor holes but the right header hole is in a super inconvenient spot over on the front-right side of the bike, what I ended up doing was cutting the sensor wire free from the main wiring loom tape and running it thru the space in the middle of the bike to reach the sensor hole, but the way the sensor screwed in was not designed well and the wire ended up rubbing against the oil sump and heats up laying on the crank housing. My ecu flash turns the o2 sensors off so I ended up blocking the holes off and totally disconnecting the lamda sensors.

So the exhaust does have the threaded holes on both headers but I STRONGLY recommend not trying to use them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:03:26 AM by drawnverybadly »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »
Malik- I totally forgot about the sensors, they do have the sensor holes but the right header hole is in a super inconvenient spot over on the front-right side of the bike, what I ended up doing was cutting the sensor wire free from the main wiring loom tape and running it thru the space in the middle of the bike to reach the sensor hole, but the way the sensor screwed in was not designed well and the wire ended up rubbing against the oil sump and heats up laying on the crank housing. My ecu flash turns the o2 sensors off so I ended up blocking the holes off and totally disconnecting the lamda sensors.

So the exhaust does have the threaded holes on both headers but I STRONGLY recommend not trying to use them.

Many thanks for that. Sterling.

Offline waxi

• The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.
  • Gosling
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2017, 02:01:21 PM »

Nothing too drastic:
- OEM cafe seat
- "Mito Guzzi V7 and Griso Parts" black tank strap
- Beetle map
- Oil catch can
- Gearbox breather "mod"
- Removed plastic covers on top of the forks (why the heck would anybody want to hide those two beautiful alu bolts???)
- Agostini crash bar
- Hella strong tone (dual-tone) horns (not yet mounted in picture above)
- Griso rim decals
- Proper NGK spark plug caps (plugs also changed)
- Dart piranha flyscreen... later sold.
- Agostini handlebar crossbar
- Some nicer alu tyre valve caps
- CTEK battery maintainer/charger connector
- Zip-tied various cables, checked tightening torques and replaced main clamp on throttle body because folks on the assembly line are incapable to do their work
- ABUS Detecto 8077 disc lock fits perfectly under the seat
- Bell Bullitt helmet and Helite airbag leather jacket for the rider

I think this is it. I'm still with Olle shocks and stock mirrors. Will also change those when the day comes...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:28:38 AM by waxi »
Moto Guzzi V7 II Special, 2015
Moto Guzzi Nevada, 1998
Tomos Automatik A3 ML, 1987, oldtimer

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here