Author Topic: How to stay happy with your bike  (Read 2342 times)

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
How to stay happy with your bike
« on: June 14, 2022, 09:32:46 AM »
Misleading topic, as I obviously don’t have the gene that encourages keeping any one bike for very long. Good thing I have the gene that keeps one wife ay?!  :thewife:

My insurance guy calls me a connoisseur or some such malarkey...

Anyhoo, I am loving the V7 850 but as Kev points out it IS different than the V9 Bobber/Roamer mill. Less torquey down low is my “butt dyno”.  :bike-037:

Once I get any bike dialed in I’m kinda like ok that was fun what’s next. I know I’m addicted and Huzo has some good advice for overcoming this alas, I am a poor student here.  :rolleyes:

So, what’s one to do?
So many bikes, so little time....  :popcorn:

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: How to stay happy with your bike
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 09:38:15 AM »
Don't ask me.  I just keep them all.   :grin:  I have a spreadsheet to keep track of all of them.  LOL
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 09:57:03 AM »
Don't ask me.  I just keep them all.   :grin:  I have a spreadsheet to keep track of all of them.  LOL

Great fleet Dave and a spreadsheet is a necessity I would guess.
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 11:05:06 AM »
What seems to be working for me lately is spending way too much money upgrading to just give it away.

I have no plans to part with my current bikes, but am looking to add something.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 11:05:06 AM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 11:13:55 AM »
Sorry, no help here. I have been riding my own bikes since 1979, a Suzuki GS400 for eleven years, A T-3 which I have owned since 89 and my Norge since 2011. Still ride the last two. Guess I am still "dialing" them in. :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 11:56:59 AM »
Misleading topic, as I obviously don’t have the gene that encourages keeping any one bike for very long. Good thing I have the gene that keeps one wife ay?!  :thewife:

My insurance guy calls me a connoisseur or some such malarkey...

Anyhoo, I am loving the V7 850 but as Kev points out it IS different than the V9 Bobber/Roamer mill. Less torquey down low is my “butt dyno”.  :bike-037:

Once I get any bike dialed in I’m kinda like ok that was fun what’s next. I know I’m addicted and Huzo has some good advice for overcoming this alas, I am a poor student here.  :rolleyes:

So, what’s one to do?
So many bikes, so little time....  :popcorn:

inditx

We might have some of the same gene defects.

I can't explain what has happened of late (maybe I've been distracted by my still relatively young family over the past decade) but my bike ADD has slowed down significantly. I mean like to the point where I'm sitting on the cash for a new one, but have no desire to buy another. Well, not enough to go do it.

Maybe part of it is simply that we've reached capacity (both in reasonable use of the garage space and the number of bikes I can regularly ride and maintain), but as much as I do like other bikes (The Bobber Sport or say the new Low Rider ST) that lust doesn't rise to the level of me giving up anything in the garage for it, so I'm more than happy staying put (for now).

There was a time when a bike never reached 3-4 years old in my possession.

Now I've reached a point where two of the bikes in the fleet we've had for ~ a decade each (and I had one or two others before that which approached or reached that tenure).

Weird.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 12:18:11 PM »
I don't make impulse buys.  I actually am on the other side of the fence and research my motorcycle purchases way beyond what is probably mentally healthy.  On the other hand, I hate buyers remorse. I very rarely make vehicle mistakes. I have well defined performance parameters of what the vehicle must deliver.  Once purchased I tend to keep my motorcycles a long time, as in 15-20 years.  I also ride the ones I have quite a lot, because each bike I own has a very specific purpose.   I own three now, and they serve me very well.  I would like to get to two, but don't think that is possible at this point.

I don't own motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc. just to work on and look at. That's not to say I don't appreciate the aesthetics of a design, I do and  the visual aspect is important.  However, if I am not using it, I find it frustrates me having something just sitting there.  No matter how pretty it might be. Equipment with motors is a kinetic experience for me, not so much a static one.  YMMV.

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »
I don't make impulse buys.  I actually am on the other side of the fence and research my motorcycle purchases way beyond what is probably mentally healthy.  On the other hand, I hate buyers remorse. I very rarely make vehicle mistakes. I have well defined performance parameters of what the vehicle must deliver.  Once purchased I tend to keep my motorcycles a long time, as in 15-20 years.  I also ride the ones I have quite a lot, because each bike I own has a very specific purpose.   I own three now, and they serve me very well.  I would like to get to two, but don't think that is possible at this point.

I don't own motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc. just to work on and look at. That's not to say I don't appreciate the aesthetics of a design, I do and  the visual aspect is important.  However, if I am not using it, I find it frustrates me having something just sitting there.  No matter how pretty it might be. Equipment with motors is a kinetic experience for me, not so much a static one.  YMMV.

Exactly my thoughts!
The only Guzzi I have had, a 1984 SP/NT, I owned it for 20 years, before I decided it was a handful for my physical condition.
The bike gave me lots of enjoyment, but it also a lot of aggravation due to the stupid things previous owners did to it that compromised its reliability.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 11:25:33 PM »
Ride it and create some memories.
It will morph into less of “what it is” and more of “what it’s done”.
Which one looks better ?

Although both bikes are fundamentally identical in the ways that matter most, the one with the bag on the bag looks like it’s into something good.
When you know in your own mind that even if you sold your bike, it would still be referred to as ******’s old bike, then you know you have bonded.
I venture to say that if I sold my Norge, the average bloke would say..”Oh, you’ve got Peter’s old bike…”

The money doesn’t make it “yours”, the miles do……
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 03:24:46 AM by Huzo »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 11:46:35 PM »
We might have some of the same gene defects.

I can't explain what has happened of late (maybe I've been distracted by my still relatively young family over the past decade) but my bike ADD has slowed down significantly. I mean like to the point where I'm sitting on the cash for a new one, but have no desire to buy another. Well, not enough to go do it.

Maybe part of it is simply that we've reached capacity (both in reasonable use of the garage space and the number of bikes I can regularly ride and maintain), but as much as I do like other bikes (The Bobber Sport or say the new Low Rider ST) that lust doesn't rise to the level of me giving up anything in the garage for it, so I'm more than happy staying put (for now).

There was a time when a bike never reached 3-4 years old in my possession.

Now I've reached a point where two of the bikes in the fleet we've had for ~ a decade each (and I had one or two others before that which approached or reached that tenure).

Weird.

Come on Kev............. no one likes a quitter.     :grin:

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 05:42:04 AM »
Wow.  Nice topic.  I am definitely a bike-a-holic in remission/recovery, I would say.  A number of folks on here used to make jokes about it, some still do on the local Advrider thread, like each time I’d post a new bike they’d make the obligatory  :grin: “Wow, Brian.  You’ve really got that one looking nice for the next owner” kind of thing.   :boozing:

I’m 52 now and in the last 19 years of street riding I’ve had about maybe 35 (?) different bikes?  I’ve had pretty much every iteration of a Guzzi made since say 2002 or so - well, all except a spine frame.  I’ve probably traveled over 250k miles or more on motorcycles, loving nearly every mile.

How did I make it into remission/recovery?  I’m honestly not sure.  I’d love to point to this or that but there was nothing too definitive and besides, I’m still in a bit of denial as per it being a “problem”; rather, I greatly enjoyed each and every motorcycle I owned previously.  The KTM I have now has been there for almost 2 years maybe and I did just last year get this Guzzi California Stone project.  I have tough time criticizing myself or anyone else with this ailment.  Enjoy it while you can, I say. 

For me, well, I got older.  Life priorities changed a bit.  I wrecked a couple times and had shoulder surgery as a result.  I quit riding for about a year, sold all the bikes.  I finally realized on a gut level there was never going to be “The One” motorcycle.  Many other things as well but whatevs.  I’m not saying I’ll never return to it but in similar manner to Kev’s comments above, I’ve now been in the lucky place in life where I have the cash to buy any motorcycle I’d like but I now know better generally what I enjoy and I just don’t see anything that would reward me much more greatly than what I have now.  This sounds all wise and resolute  :cool: but in truth, I could very well start buying them again tomorrow, who knows  :popcorn:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 05:47:57 AM »
hahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha (sorry, couldn't help myself)   :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

I got nothing.

Next.

:bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037: :bike-037:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 05:48:29 AM by kballowe »

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 06:54:03 AM »
We call it motorcycleitis. A disease there is no cure for.  Only can be medicated once in a while with a sell-one-buy-another. But don’t worry the government is working tirelessly to separate you from your money so you’ll have nothing and be happy!
1994 California 1100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 06:58:58 AM »
Come on Kev............. no one likes a quitter.     :grin:

:boozing:

Ok, in my defense I have been plotting how to build a carport or additional garage space to take care of that problem.

So I simply need to spend $20-40k so I can spent another $10-20k on another bike.

Yeah, this is gonna get by the CEO REAL easy.... I feel a veto in my future.  :thewife:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 07:31:56 AM »
Ride it and create some memories.
It will morph into less of “what it is” and more of “what it’s done”.
Which one looks better ?

Although both bikes are fundamentally identical in the ways that matter most, the one with the bag on the bag looks like it’s into something good.
When you know in your own mind that even if you sold your bike, it would still be referred to as ******’s old bike, then you know you have bonded.
I venture to say that if I sold my Norge, the average bloke would say..”Oh, you’ve got Peter’s old bike…”

The money doesn’t make it “yours”, the miles do……

Yes, well said and helpful. It is the experiences that make life.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 07:34:37 AM »
Wow.  Nice topic.  I am definitely a bike-a-holic in remission/recovery, I would say.  A number of folks on here used to make jokes about it, some still do on the local Advrider thread, like each time I’d post a new bike they’d make the obligatory  :grin: “Wow, Brian.  You’ve really got that one looking nice for the next owner” kind of thing.   :boozing:

I’m 52 now and in the last 19 years of street riding I’ve had about maybe 35 (?) different bikes?  I’ve had pretty much every iteration of a Guzzi made since say 2002 or so - well, all except a spine frame.  I’ve probably traveled over 250k miles or more on motorcycles, loving nearly every mile.

How did I make it into remission/recovery?  I’m honestly not sure.  I’d love to point to this or that but there was nothing too definitive and besides, I’m still in a bit of denial as per it being a “problem”; rather, I greatly enjoyed each and every motorcycle I owned previously.  The KTM I have now has been there for almost 2 years maybe and I did just last year get this Guzzi California Stone project.  I have tough time criticizing myself or anyone else with this ailment.  Enjoy it while you can, I say. 

For me, well, I got older.  Life priorities changed a bit.  I wrecked a couple times and had shoulder surgery as a result.  I quit riding for about a year, sold all the bikes.  I finally realized on a gut level there was never going to be “The One” motorcycle.  Many other things as well but whatevs.  I’m not saying I’ll never return to it but in similar manner to Kev’s comments above, I’ve now been in the lucky place in life where I have the cash to buy any motorcycle I’d like but I now know better generally what I enjoy and I just don’t see anything that would reward me much more greatly than what I have now.  This sounds all wise and resolute  :cool: but in truth, I could very well start buying them again tomorrow, who knows  :popcorn:

Yes Bp!
Especially there is no panacea, perfect bike, one jack of all trades.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 07:38:12 AM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (sorry, couldn't help myself)   :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

I got nothing.

Next.

Hah!
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 07:40:54 AM »
:boozing:

Ok, in my defense I have been plotting how to build a carport or additional garage space to take care of that problem.

So I simply need to spend $20-40k so I can spent another $10-20k on another bike.

Yeah, this is gonna get by the CEO REAL easy.... I feel a veto in my future.  :thewife:

Good luck, we’re behind you!
inditx

This is the day.....

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 07:43:49 AM »
p.s. The wife says I enjoy the hunt, negotiations and closing the deal. Can’t argue with these reasons but it is something more with bikes.

Appreciate all the “help”, keep em coming!
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2022, 07:57:25 AM »
For me it is always the bike. If I get tired of it I let it go, if I don't I keep it.

Bikes I've kept: 1979 XS1100 (owned since 1984), 1978 XS 750 (owned since 2000), 2007 Griso (2015), 2016 Stornello (2018), 1976 Convert (2020), 2008 1200 Sport (2020)  Cant see letting any of them go with the exception of the Griso due to ergonomics. Hoping Mana Bars will fix that.

Bikes I've Sold because they lost the draw or weren't special enough to keep: Honda CB350, Kawasaki LTD 454, Yamaha VMAX (regret selling), Kawasaki C10 Concours, BMW RT1100, Yamaha FZ 6, 8V Norge, MGX-21. All great bikes but had no staying power.
Then there is the Yamaha FZ 1 that I didnt sell, but wrecked........

I am always making tweaks and adjustments to my bikes to make them better suited or interesting to me, but ultimately if I don't get that "AHHHH" feeling when I ride or drive it, it doesn't stay long............
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 08:11:35 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 08:19:51 AM »
The longest we've ever kept a motorcycle was ten years.
A 2008 Harley FLSTF "Fat Boy"

Had a Gl1800 Honda Gold Wing for five years.
A Harley Dyna for six years.

?

Most everything else left after a year or two or three. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 08:21:48 AM by kballowe »

Offline adventurelounger

• New Egg
  • Two Wheels Good
    • Longitude & Gratitude (my personal motoblog)
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 02:46:23 PM »

Great post and great vexing question. This may be a little out in left field, but I recently started keeping my V7II Stornello at a motorcycle storage facility in Brooklyn called Gotham Depot Moto. I'm a part-time city person, and wanted to have a bike I could ride around Brooklyn and Manhattan on the weekends or days when I'm city-bound. The facility is filled with 50 awesome bikes of all stripes, from Triumphs to Guzzis to Ducatis, Yamahas, vintage BMWs etc. And an equally diverse and interesting set of owners. The weird thing is that being around all these other bikes...many of which I've lusted after or thought of buying at one point or another...has dampened my appetite for ownership. I get to see them, chat about them, and folks are shockingly generous about offering a ride on them (hey, you wanna take it for a spin?). And so just the exposure to them—with my beautiful Storny nestled in the mix—has curiously sated my appetite to acquire or own them. And what it's made me more interested in are the people who ride them, and going on little jaunts around Greenpoint or Williamsburg and getting to know the riders with the bikes.

I did say this is a bit of a "left field solve" for loving the bike you're on, but one insight (for me at least) is that if you can find conditions where you're around other bikes and riders, it seems to lessen that private, in your head, internet-fueled urge for "yet another bike."
2023 Moto Guzzi V85 Guardia d’Onore
2022 Triumph T120 Gold Line
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stornello

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2022, 04:14:56 PM »
 :thumb: adventerlounger
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2022, 06:59:41 AM »
Bought and sold close to forty bikes over the last fifty years. The Bonneville has been with me since '74, my Cal since '01, the Monster since '19. They're keepers.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2022, 03:35:00 PM »
 :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 03:58:44 PM »
Well. I failed the test too. I traded my 20 V85 on a 22. Tee in Charlotte made me a very fair trade. Great people.

HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2022, 04:10:03 PM »
Yes but.
The question was… HOW do you stay happy with your bike ?

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2022, 05:23:08 PM »
 :popcorn:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2022, 05:43:53 PM »
Yes but.
The question was… HOW do you stay happy with your bike ?

Maybe he just answered: "Trade it for one with fewer problems"?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2022, 08:19:03 PM »
Maybe he just answered: "Trade it for one with fewer problems"?
Well yeah Kev.
A lot were just saying, “I’ve got my new ***** and I’m really happy”.
 But our Man wanted to know what has gotten you to that state of mind.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here