Author Topic: End of the Gold Wing?  (Read 4684 times)

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 11:01:55 AM by steven c »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
Re: End of the Gold Wing?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 08:58:57 AM »
I read somewhere that Honda was discontinuing the Gold Wing completely. I couldn't and still can't believe that. The discontinuation of the manufacturing in the US makes more sense.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 09:44:51 AM »
13 year old article about moving production back to Japan.  All which has happened.

There are no new Hondas at the local shops and all GoldWings being delivered are presold.

Yes, there is a supple chain problem.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 10:00:18 AM »
13 year old article about moving production back to Japan.  All which has happened.

There are no new Hondas at the local shops and all GoldWings being delivered are presold.

I believe this was prompted years ago after Honda was concerned with quality control issues with bikes made in Ohio. That started with the frame issues of the early 1800s through 2005.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 10:00:18 AM »

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »
Sorry wrong link
https://www.advrider.com/honda-kawasaki-suzuki-yamaha-will-axe-several-models-this-year-report/

It says they're eliminating some Gold Wing models, that wouldn't surprise me.  With supply limited production, they'll likely streamline the product line to the most popular and most profitable, just a guess.   

Having looked at them recently, they really keep their value. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 07:28:06 PM »
It says they're eliminating some Gold Wing models, that wouldn't surprise me.  With supply limited production, they'll likely streamline the product line to the most popular and most profitable, just a guess.   

Having looked at them recently, they really keep their value.
That's what I think, I can't see Honda cutting the Wing totally.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 06:18:49 AM »
Ya, I just cant see Honda cutting it. Even if it was the last bike they brought into the US market, they would still have a good market.
Paul B

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 07:56:49 AM »
I also heard the the GoldWing Road Riders Association is closing it's doors too, I've only been a member for four decades.

free picture upload
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 08:45:55 AM »
Read it again.
"Maybe we won’t be that affected by the decision, especially since it seems these are only specific sub-models from series, and because there is a special emphasis on the Japanese market."
The wing is their cash cow in the US.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 09:09:06 AM »
Read it again.
"Maybe we won’t be that affected by the decision, especially since it seems these are only specific sub-models from series, and because there is a special emphasis on the Japanese market."
The wing is their cash cow in the US.
Totally agree👍

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 01:56:47 PM »
Here is a future "visual" for you...AN ALL ELECTRIC GOLD WING!!!

...and you thought the previous Gold Wings were "QUIET" when they passed you on the highway at 80mph+

:laugh: :grin: :rolleyes: :shocked: :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 02:03:00 PM »
According to this article the cuts are specific to the Japanese market and due to emissions restrictions

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/06/japanese-bike-manufacturers-are-cutting-models-to-comply-with-emissions-regulations/

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 06:58:26 PM »
Can anyone explain why the Goldwing engine would be especially vulnerable to emission regulations?   I would have assumed that engine is about the most sophisticated and “car like” of motorcycle engines, and thus the easiest to bring into compliance. 

Unlike, say, a large bore, air-cooled relatively crude Guzzi engine.  Or some 600cc sports bike tuned to absolute max horsepower.

What am I missing ?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 07:11:37 PM »
I am also missing it.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 02:16:49 AM »
I also heard the the GoldWing Road Riders Association is closing it's doors too, I've only been a member for four decades.

free picture upload

Yep I saw that.  As Bob Dylan says, “The times they are a changing”. In my opinion the GWRRA was to zeroed in on elderly riders and did very little to recruit younger (like 40 years old) riders!  I have met many younger goldwing riders who wanted nothing to do with GWRRA because it was full of bingo games and other senior citizen events.  I don’t know if that is why GWRRA dies but it could be.  I was a member for six years but never really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 02:22:11 AM by bobrebos1 »
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 07:29:07 AM »
Hey Bob,

I agree  :grin:  I'm part of that aging demograhic and never really participated in any of the local chapter stuff, group rides, rally's etc.

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 08:53:41 AM »
Can anyone explain why the Goldwing engine would be especially vulnerable to emission regulations?   I would have assumed that engine is about the most sophisticated and “car like” of motorcycle engines, and thus the easiest to bring into compliance. 

Unlike, say, a large bore, air-cooled relatively crude Guzzi engine.  Or some 600cc sports bike tuned to absolute max horsepower.

What am I missing ?

I don't the GW is being discontinued in Japan either- at least for emissions reasons.   The bike mentioned was the 400 naked and a few legacy bikes that Honda didn't want to upgrade/certify. 

Prescott, The article is a couple of paragraphs and a minute read and ambiguous.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 08:55:25 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 08:58:20 AM »
Yep I saw that.  As Bob Dylan says, “The times they are a changing”. In my opinion the GWRRA was to zeroed in on elderly riders and did very little to recruit younger (like 40 years old) riders!  I have met many younger goldwing riders who wanted nothing to do with GWRRA because it was full of bingo games and other senior citizen events.  I don’t know if that is why GWRRA dies but it could be.  I was a member for six years but never really enjoyed it.

Look at the Guzzi hobby vs 10 years ago.  We've lost quite a few of the contributors on the board here too that have moved on or lost interest.
John L 

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 09:51:31 AM »
Fortunately for WGC, for everyone who has left, hundreds of new members has joined.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 10:12:04 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »
Building of Goldwings and other bikes were discontinued in Ohio because the factory was needed to build more Honda and Acura automobiles. Much more profitable for Honda than motorcycles. The Goldwing hasn't been a cash cow in the U.S. for many years nor has any other Honda street bike. Side by sides and off road vehicles are what is keeping the doors open at most dealerships, especially in this part of the country. We have a large Honda, Suzuki, and Can Am dealership nearby that has been in business for a long time and sold more than their share of Wings. The showroom is full, but if they currently have five street bikes in there I will buy your breakfast. 

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2022, 08:25:38 AM »
I saw a new GW and it was smaller and sportier than previous. I was not quite sure of the market Honda was after. Still a touring oriented bike but not the lounge chair of the past. None of the manufacturers are reaching out to young people.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2022, 10:36:13 AM »
Fortunately for WGC, for everyone who has left, hundreds of new members has joined.

Dan

absolutely true, but Guzzi in general and WG as well...  There is a big brain trust of solid gold info that is literally dying off.  Thank goodness for Greg Bender and thisoldtractor for archiving a lot of this stuff!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2022, 10:44:44 AM »
It’s not just people dying off, lots of quality folks ie. Pete, Dan etc have left for various reasons. 

I’m not looking to start an argument as to why or what it means, it’s just a loss for the board.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2022, 11:09:27 AM »
Yes this forum like any other forum, members who come and go.
No one is forced to join and can leave whenever they wish.  One can rest assured that WGC will continue to grow and there are plenty of knowledgeable members here.
No one is irreplaceable.

This thread is about Honda Gold Wings being discontinued. Therefore let’s get back to the subject the thread was intended.

Dan

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:21:50 AM by Ncdan »

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2022, 02:27:33 PM »
I saw a new GW and it was smaller and sportier than previous. I was not quite sure of the market Honda was after. Still a touring oriented bike but not the lounge chair of the past. None of the manufacturers are reaching out to young people.

The newer model was supposed to attract a younger buyer. I guess it didn’t work. I would have bought one to replace my 2004 but with its smaller bags it wouldn't work for me and my wife. The luggage was already smaller than my ‘83 BMW RT with top box.

Pete

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2022, 02:40:42 PM »
For the record, the GW isn't being discontinued.  That was settled from my first reply here. 

This discussion is sorta like Seinfield, "a thread about nothing."   :huh:

Yes this forum like any other forum, members who come and go.
No one is forced to join and can leave whenever they wish.  One can rest assured that WGC will continue to grow and there are plenty of knowledgeable members here.
No one is irreplaceable.

This thread is about Honda Gold Wings being discontinued. Therefore let’s get back to the subject the thread was intended.

Dan

John L 

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 03:34:56 PM »
I'm glad to hear they will likely still be available here in The USA. When I picked up my new 1000SX a couple of months ago, it was sitting next to a new GW. I was actually surprised at how compact and approachable it appeared, and I could definitely see myself owning one at some point.

Online Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2022, 12:38:26 PM »
I know the thread's a couple months old now but according to my dealer Honda's keeping the Wing for the foreseeable future, but has been talking of reducing the options and colors to simplify manufacturing. There were 3 models; Goldwing, Goldwing Tour, and Goldwing Tour Airbag) with multiple colors and two transmission choices.
 As of 2022 the Goldwing (base version w/o trunk) is only available in one color matte blue and with only the DCT transmission. The Tour Airbag version only has the DCT transmission as well and is available in blue, only the Tour version still offers a 6-speed manual or 7-speed DCT now, and is available in blue or black.
Further streamlining units for Honda, the base Goldwing also is tasked with filling the sport touring void that the ST1300 previously had for them.
Navydad is right about motorcycles not being as important to the Japanese manufacturers as SxS's and ATV's. The local dealer here sells over 15 profitable SXS's to every 1 street motorcycle.

24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2022, 01:25:08 PM »

For some reason no supply chain issue for Paggio or Triumph.  My dealer is surviving on European bikes while the others are scarce.  He told me he only received 5 Yamaha Tenere 700 since they were introduced, but has sold 40 Aprilia Tuareg 660s in 2022. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here