Author Topic: In Market For New Jacket  (Read 5679 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: In Market For New Jacket
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »
A thread drift here but-

I really like leather. Finding good leather is not as easy now as once was the case.

I am lucky.  I have a pristine original First Gear (FG) below-the-waist leather Kilimanjaro jacket WITH the matching pants and they are in the rare brown color.  That is a helluva outfilt, lemme tell ya.

I also have a FG Stealth leather jacket with zip-to matching pants. 

One of the best and newest leather pieces that I have is actually an official Guzzi 3/4 jacket made by Dainese.  The California???? I love it. *edit* I think it's called the Vintage Jacket.

Old time, I also have a genuine Harley Davidson Cycle Champ police-type jacket that I bought 38 years ago when I bought my Low Rider.  It's in great condition and I still wear it.

For long distance, multi-weather cladding, I bought a new BMW 2-piece suit about a year ago. I also have a few other textile jackets that I've picked up in the last few years.

Leather feels the best for me.  The only inconvenience is that I must take separate rain gear for my leather. I know it's heavier and all of that but I find leather the most comfortable of all motorcycle protective gear.

Still, that TourMaster Transition was a lot of jacket for the money.   A best buy. They now have the Transition 4.  I had the original Transition and then the Transition 2.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:43:54 PM by leafman60 »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 05:36:49 PM »
Motoport, Motoport, Motoport.

Custom made for your size, put together as you decide with armor, extra slide protection, reflector, etc. etc. The Kevlar jackets are amazing. I have nearly 100,000 miles on one and love it. Made here and bulletproof.

Wayne (the owner) is a great guy to do business with and will make sure jacket fits like a glove.

Yep. My old Motoport is living out in SoCal in semi retirement after a full and adventurous life. What was red is now pink, black is now grey, but it soldiers on..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

janusz

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »
<CUT>
One of the best and newest leather pieces that I have is actually an official Guzzi 3/4 jacket made by Dainese.  The California???? I love it.
</CUT>

I have to agree 100%, just bought one.

Offline steelby

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
I've got the Klim "lattitude" and it's longer all around, comes down below the belt.  I'm 6'2", so I don't like the high waist styles either. 

Great venting, good 4 season jacket.  Lots of pockets, and protection.  Highly visible.  A little pricey around $600, but top quality and should last forever.  Wife got the women's "lattitude" also, and it too comes down lower, but is fitted better for a woman.  Same protection and visibility. 

Check out you tube video, or revzilla.com.  Free shipping and will exchange sizes if not right.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
Many folks don't want to spend over $1000 for a riding suit.

Three jackets that are a very good buys are:

1.  TourMaster Transition

2.  First Gear Kilimanjaro

3.  First Gear Kathmandu

Check with NewEnough (Adventure whatever)

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Years ago, I had an Transition and I was very impressed with it.  I currently have a high-dollar riding suit but, really, that inexpensive Transition performed equally well.

The Kilimanjaro was my first jacket after I bought the goose.  It was really nice, until the temps got over 75F.  The venting on it was poor, just chest vents and under arm IIRC.  I think they have improved the venting a bit since them.  Was waterproof though.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »
I can say with confidence that Vanson jackets come with shoulder and elbow armor, and they're very well made, to last a lifetime.  I bought my Drifter model at the factory in Fall River, MA, an experience in itself!  I had lesser satisfaction trying to buy pants there, however.  Their "real" motorcycling pants are meant for racing and I'm sure they work well for that purpose, but they're much too heavy and stiff for street riding.  They might break in, eventually, but, at age 74, I don't have the time.  Their other leather pants are not really designed for riding, except perhaps for short jaunts to the local Starbucks.  Too tight fitting, to low in back, no armor.  I got a pair of cheap Bilt Spirit leather pants at Cycle gear, they do the job.

Another fan of Vanson here.  Real quality stuff, although more suited to the racer than the tourer.  Here's my old thread on that topic:  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=46374.0
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:34 AM »
Many folks don't want to spend over $1000 for a riding suit.

Three jackets that are a very good buys are:

1.  TourMaster Transition

2.  First Gear Kilimanjaro

3.  First Gear Kathmandu

Check with NewEnough (Adventure whatever)

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Years ago, I had an Transition and I was very impressed with it.  I currently have a high-dollar riding suit but, really, that inexpensive Transition performed equally well.

I bought a TourMaster Transition 4 to replace an old First Gear Kilimanjaro.  I like it a whole lot better than the FirstGear.  It is my winter riding jacket.  I have two perforated Dianese jackets I wear most of the year and absolutely love.

I very seriously considered a Vanson, but have a hard time buying without trying.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline novaboy

• New Egg
    • Big land Adventure Films
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 07:31:48 AM »
Olympia gear is awesome, I've had they're ADV style jacket and pants for 4 years. Great quality, warm and waterproof, if you're looking for something to tour in. I've ridden with it from 85 degree temps to below freezing.

Met the owner Kevin at AIMExpo last year. Super nice guy.

Check out these guys:

http://olympiamotosports.com/

I have one of their leathers (prob. 11-12 years old) which they no longer make, but there ballistic gear is outstanding and priced well for what you get.  I can also say the customer service is outstanding.  I contacted them a couple years ago for new armor and a couple zipper pulls for my leather.  Mind you the jacket had been out of production for nearly ten years.  No problem, set me up cheap.  A real pleasure to deal with.

robdrobd

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 04:45:06 PM »
I bought a Kilimanjaro in great condition on ebay for $45. I an very happy with it so far.

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
Hello;

Get the matching pants and use the back zipper.. It will keep the jacket from riding up.

Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here