Author Topic: Loud Pipes!  (Read 13769 times)

Offline Yan

• New Egg
Re: Loud Pipes!
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »
People who ride motorcycles with excessively loud pipes do this for no other reason but to attract attention.  This is OK except that it is extremely bothersome to other road users and to people living close to roads. It is also in most places illegal to make that much noise although for unknown reasons rarely enforced.

I can prove my first statement by the following thought-experiment: suppose I can design a spectacular-looking & super-quiet pipe that is sold together with an app that can produce whatever type of exhaust you desire. You connect your phone to the ECU and put your earphones in. Select your pipe on the app's menu, set the volume to the desired level, and off you go. In theory this pipe+app should sell like hot cakes as you can pick your exhaust sound and your volume, depending on your taste or mood. Any other road user can hear your muted pipe and is not bothered.  Do you think I will sell any of these apps?

(correct answer: No)
2007 Griso 1100

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
Actually they sell a bunch of these..
http://www.soundracer.se/ :drool:

People who ride motorcycles with excessively loud pipes do this for no other reason but to attract attention.  This is OK except that it is extremely bothersome to other road users and to people living close to roads. It is also in most places illegal to make that much noise although for unknown reasons rarely enforced.

I can prove my first statement by the following thought-experiment: suppose I can design a spectacular-looking & super-quiet pipe that is sold together with an app that can produce whatever type of exhaust you desire. You connect your phone to the ECU and put your earphones in. Select your pipe on the app's menu, set the volume to the desired level, and off you go. In theory this pipe+app should sell like hot cakes as you can pick your exhaust sound and your volume, depending on your taste or mood. Any other road user can hear your muted pipe and is not bothered.  Do you think I will sell any of these apps?

2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »

At one of my favorite breakfast places I heave ho the Norge up the crown to have my exhaust pointed other than in the direction of those seated outside eating. I've even had someone help after they asked why I was pushing the Norge and I explained what I was doing.

Recently, I was parked in front of an outdoor restaurant, and instead of starting up the bike less than five feet from the people eating at the tables, I just pushed the bike a few feet to the street, started it up and went on my way. There is no reason to be rude to people, and my CX isn't that loud, but still.

Seriously, some people are just jerks and if they didn't have loud pipes, it would be something else.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »
.  His sounds like he stuck bamboo slats in his spokes.  I walked around it one day as he was parking it and asked him if that's what made the silly noise.

:grin: funny.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2016, 06:08:59 PM »
I was at a bike night last week (many HD's) and there was one guy especially proud of his bike and the noise it made.  I commented to him that the bike was absolutely gorgeous but the guy that sold him the mufflers ripped him off cuz they didn't work.  He just stood there with a puzzled look on his face while his buddies laughed.

canuck750

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »
Loud exhaust on anything is annoying.

Around here the four door, full size 4x4 pickup with a lift kit and a tire package out sells most everything else, at least for the 20 ~ 35 year old segment and those over 40 who will never grow up. The must have accessory to compliment the blacked out F250 is a set of loud pipes, replete with a base ball cap worn backwards and white sun glasses. On the back window of most of these rigs is a HD sticker, they probably don't actually own a HD but it seems to be a required status symbol.

I have tried to understand the mind set of a 40 year old guy that needs to blast around town in a rig decked out for an assault on ISIS, loud pipes competing with the bass on his stereo and tailgating anyone that won't get out of his way. Narcissistic jerks have been around for a millennium but I think the number of loud pipe bikes and rigs on the road is evidence that there is an upswing in this behaviour.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »

I think BMW was one of the first manufacturers to pipe electronic engine sounds through the stereo so the driver could enjoy the sound of his/her vehicle which was purposely muted for sound emissions purposes.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2016, 07:07:24 PM »
we gots an 'lectric car in town with leopard spots and a loudspeaker that plays engine noises on account of it sneaks up on old people and gives them a conniption.  The lady what drives it can put in sounds for the kind of car she'd rather be driving.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
Loud exhaust on anything is annoying.

Around here the four door, full size 4x4 pickup with a lift kit and a tire package out sells most everything else, at least for the 20 ~ 35 year old segment and those over 40 who will never grow up. The must have accessory to compliment the blacked out F250 is a set of loud pipes, replete with a base ball cap worn backwards and white sun glasses. On the back window of most of these rigs is a HD sticker, they probably don't actually own a HD but it seems to be a required status symbol.

I have tried to understand the mind set of a 40 year old guy that needs to blast around town in a rig decked out for an assault on ISIS, loud pipes competing with the bass on his stereo and tailgating anyone that won't get out of his way. Narcissistic jerks have been around for a millennium but I think the number of loud pipe bikes and rigs on the road is evidence that there is an upswing in this behaviour.

The problem is that the asshats that do that are hostile, belligerent overgrown children -- and the wannabees are worse.  The attitude that says "I'm gonna f*** your ears till they bleed and if you object you're gonna need a dentist" can't be dealt with in an adult, rational manner.  The only means of getting relief is unfortunately, to either bitch slap harder and faster than they can or "rat them off to the law" as the asshats say.  I'm in favor of whatever it takes.

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »
canuck750 described the loud pickup truck crowed around here perfectly. I have assumed they were all high school kids and would hopefully someday grow up but perhaps not. I  think loud is just loud and those who think their loud bikes are acceptable because they sound good are just fooling themselves and attempting to rationalize inconsiderate behavior.  My V7II is completely stock still I wish it were less loud. When I pull into a parking spot near others I try to shut the engine down as quickly as I reasonably can and when I drive off I make sure I am suited up, sitting on the bike and pointing in the right direction before starting up. The sounds of nature are much nicer than the sounds of motorcycles (my opinion of course). If an aftermarket company were to market an exhaust system for my V7II that provided a "significant" decrease in loudness (say something like 10dB?) with a not too significant decrease in hp (say less than 5%?) I would be interested in buying it. Obviously I am just playing with numbers but if anyone knows of a company marketing a quieter motorcycle exhaust system I would like to know about it. I have seen a system for ATVs advertised but not one for Motorcycles.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
 Had a demufflercated HD next to me at a stoplight , 25 year old rider , young lady on the pillion , rider keeps blipping the throttle . He turns his head to tell his passenger "I like to hear my MC run" . She can't hear him , so he repeats himself , this time in a louder voice . Still draws a blank stare from the young lady . I finally lean over and in a loud voice say , " Yeah , but maybe the rest of us don't want to hear it run" I think he would have bowed up like a Halloween cat  , except like the cat , logic meant nothing  :evil:

Dusty

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »
Riding my wife's Breva 750 I pulled in to park at a local club.  Two fellas I know who both ride loud Harley's walked over and one commented on how quiet the bike was, I said "motorcycles don't need to be loud" they both walked away with kind of confused looks on their faces.  Sometimes I think the only reason people ride Harleys is to annoy others with their loud exhausts, if they couldn't make loud noises they wouldn't ride a motorcycle at all.  For some it really is all about the noise and attention.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »
lol, I stopped at the nearby bike shop today to order a new rear tire for an upcoming road trip. While talking to a couple beemer guys out front a guy pulls in on a v rod with straight pipes. We could hear him coming for miles. It was the loudest friggin thing on two wheels I have ever heard. When he shut it down and walked by I asked him why so loud? He said it was a high performance bike and needed to breathe. I said really? , I didn't know HD made a high performance street bike. He pointed at my 1100 tuono factory and said it would spank that jap sport bikes ass!  What do you say to that? Funniest thing was he was hoping to get an inspection sticker and the tech sent him packing because of the pipes.   So there is some justice. :thumb:

Offline Yan

• New Egg
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
I think BMW was one of the first manufacturers to pipe electronic engine sounds through the stereo so the driver could enjoy the sound of his/her vehicle which was purposely muted for sound emissions purposes.

Wow!!!  I stand corrected!
2007 Griso 1100

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2016, 10:12:26 PM »
Wow!!!  I stand corrected!
Yeah, this is common practice for a number of manufacturers. Some play fake engine sounds over the stereo, like BMW/Porsche/Lexus. Some have a dedicated speaker for this (VW soundaktor). Some go the low budget route and poke a hole in the firewall (Subaru and Ford). Most modern sporty cars have enhanced engine sounds in the cabin.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2016, 10:58:44 PM »
I said really? , I didn't know HD made a high performance street bike.

V-Rods aren't slow.  They'll do a 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds.  I don't think any publicly available stock Guzzi will do quite that well. 
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2016, 11:21:54 PM »
V-Rods aren't slow.  They'll do a 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds.  I don't think any publicly available stock Guzzi will do quite that well.

Some show a few years ago staged a match race between a V Rod and an early 80's UJM . The V Rod owner was kind of an arrogant twit , loved it when the UJM smoked the HD 3 straight races  :evil:

Not slow , well , compared to other slow bikes  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2016, 11:37:10 PM »
Motorcycle manufacturers should have stock ECU modes for different exhaust sound profiles.....

Then we can save lots of money by not having to change /modify the pipes.  :thumb:

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »
"So make an automatic circuit that beeps your horn once a second.."

Heh. Like the turn-signal buzzer that was on my CB750 when I first bought it. Holy hell that thing was annoying. Never left my signals on, though.

Chirp...chirp...chi rp...chirp...

I think you're on to something, If they all believe loud pipes save lives, then maybe we should create a wind-powered noise maker. Like a  deer whistle, but for humans. See if they walk the walk.

Junkers - 87 siren!  This audio track concludes with an appropriate end for the open piped crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ504TGDpE

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »
Yeah, this is common practice for a number of manufacturers. Some play fake engine sounds over the stereo, like BMW/Porsche/Lexus. Some have a dedicated speaker for this (VW soundaktor). Some go the low budget route and poke a hole in the firewall (Subaru and Ford). Most modern sporty cars have enhanced engine sounds in the cabin.

I think I remember seeing on Top Gear that some version of the F-Type Jag had an on/off switch for the sound too.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2016, 10:37:14 AM »
Some show a few years ago staged a match race between a V Rod and an early 80's UJM . The V Rod owner was kind of an arrogant twit , loved it when the UJM smoked the HD 3 straight races  :evil:

Not slow , well , compared to other slow bikes  :rolleyes:

Dusty

So?

Really that's two particular bikes (and possibly the difference between 2 particular riders).

Don't get me wrong, the ignorant bastid on the Vrod was a certified TWIT.

MCN puts the Tuono at 10.28-11.19 and the Vrod 11.38-12.07 so yeah a twit, but NOT exactly slow.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2016, 10:41:34 AM »

SO ????

So what ????

Well he said , the she said  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
The righteous indignation and condescending perspectives on this crack me up... If you don't like loud pipes, fed cripe's sake, don't listen! :evil:

"His "open pipes" annoy me, endanger kittens & babies and are ONLY meant to draw attention but, if you don't like my expensive, hard to find and exceptionally tasteful aftermarket snob-xausts... Well, you're simply a lower class of rider and generally unworthy of my aural offerings!"   :boxing:

Truly though - most open exhausts, of which, more and more are on "Cafe" bikes, make me wanna pitch a broom handle in their spokes. I just keep reminding myself that it's probably just some guy having fun on the cheap. Broad considerations on my part, that, considering what a fine upstanding lad I was throughout my own youth.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
The righteous indignation and condescending perspectives on this crack me up... If you don't like loud pipes, fed cripe's sake, don't listen! :evil:

Todd.
How do I not listen when they are drowning out the audio from the movie I am watching on the TV in my living room? The loud pipes violently and rudely impinge on my life and there is nothing I can do about it.  And I *like* motorcycles and the sound of a fine engine. 

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
How do I not listen when they are drowning out the audio from the movie I am watching on the TV in my living room? The loud pipes violently and rudely impinge on my life and there is nothing I can do about it.  And I *like* motorcycles and the sound of a fine engine.

Just "takin' the piss" a little in relation to the usual; "If you don't like it, change the channel" or "If he's pissin' you off, just don't pay attention".

To be sure, I get the perspective of one person's liberties in exhaust choices can be another persons acoustic invasion. I have Screaming Eagle crap tubes on my Sportster and though they are "OK" when behaving (though honestly, still a bit too loud) I can't really get on it responsibly for the ridiculous noise. At one point, one of the baffles came out - probably the PO only slipped them in for the sale - and it was simply unrideable.

It absolutely presents as me IMPOSING my exhaust on others if I'm not careful. Someday, those nasty beasts will be down the road but I'm still looking for the replacements.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline aschem

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2016, 02:05:29 PM »
I can handle a very loud bike for a few seconds as it goes by my house. My neighbor's lawn mower, weed eater, leaf blower, edger, chain saw, power washer (about 2-3 hours every weekend) bothers me more than a speeding bike going past my house.
Speaking of louder. It seems now that I am actually riding the CALVIN, my exhaust tone seems to be louder than when it had only 1,500 miles on the bike. I am at 5K, and the mufflers have more rumble when opening the throttle.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2016, 02:25:50 PM »

According to this site http://0-60motorcycletimes.com/
The 8V 2013 Stevio turns an 11.3 sec @ 118 mph  1/4 mile.
Red 90 Mille GT

oldbike54

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »

According to this site http://0-60motorcycletimes.com/
The 8V 2013 Stevio turns an 11.3 sec @ 118 mph  1/4 mile.

One of our members has a 1400 that will do 247 MPH  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
Yes, but that was 247 indicated, actual was probably 5 mph slower. And I vote with atavar. I  would like to get a bumper sticker "Loud Pipes are for Losers" but what good would that do?  Hopefully the fad is dying out, like boom-boxes.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »
I prefer the bumper sticker I once say that said "Loud Pipe = Small Penis"

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here