Author Topic: Kiss me I'm Irish  (Read 5766 times)

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Kiss me I'm Irish
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
Kev:  Where from in Ireland?  City?  Townland?  Are you familiar with Gabriele Woeltje's book on the history of the (O MEACHAIR) MAHER clan?  I have a copy if you would like to borrow.  I have Maher history from north Tipperary but it is 5 generations back.  See these links.

http://mahermatters.com/2015/07/23/o-meachair-the-story-of-a-clan/

http://www.amazon.com/%C3%93-Meachair-The-Story-Clan/dp/0692244174

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 04:07:59 PM »
Kev:  Where from in Ireland?  City?  Townland?  Are you familiar with Gabriele Woeltje's book on the history of the (O MEACHAIR) MAHER clan?  I have a copy if you would like to borrow.  I have Maher history from north Tipperary but it is 5 generations back.  See these links.

http://mahermatters.com/2015/07/23/o-meachair-the-story-of-a-clan/

http://www.amazon.com/%C3%93-Meachair-The-Story-Clan/dp/0692244174

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

THANKS - just ordered on Kindle!

I know he was born and raised just outside of Dublin, but I know that's not where his family was originally from.

His uncle Seamus Brady (my grandmother's side, who our little man is named after) fought with the North Longford Flying Column of the IRA in the war for independence.

I'll have to ask my uncle when we finally have Dad's Irish Wake because my uncle has done a good bit of research into the family line.

Kev
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
Gotta dig out some of the Bushmills that I have stashed.  Bought 3 cases at a U.S. Customs seizure auction.  Real cheap.  Apparently being smuggled in.  Was less than a $1.00 a pint.   Yeah, I know there's better Irish whiskey but none better at the price.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:17:07 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
THANKS - just ordered on Kindle!
I know he was born and raised just outside of Dublin, but I know that's not where his family was originally from.

Ask two very detailed questions.  First, does he know which SEPT you are from?  Septs are subdivisions of Clans.  There are nicknames for the various septs so that the locals can keep them organized.  Maher has perhaps 500 septs!  Second, can you identify the townland from whence they came?  The 'townland' is the basic unit of Irish geography.  In size it can be as small as one farm or as large as several modern subdivisions.  Only the postman and the locals know where the townland boundaries are located.  My Hayes line ancestry comes off of two adjacent townlands; one has two houses and the other has six.  Irish rural postal addresses don't use street numbers, house names, or postal codes.  Just the surname and the townland will get it delivered.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2016, 08:18:59 PM »
Ask two very detailed questions.  First, does he know which SEPT you are from?  Septs are subdivisions of Clans.  There are nicknames for the various septs so that the locals can keep them organized.  Maher has perhaps 500 septs!  Second, can you identify the townland from whence they came?  The 'townland' is the basic unit of Irish geography.  In size it can be as small as one farm or as large as several modern subdivisions.  Only the postman and the locals know where the townland boundaries are located.  My Hayes line ancestry comes off of two adjacent townlands; one has two houses and the other has six.  Irish rural postal addresses don't use street numbers, house names, or postal codes.  Just the surname and the townland will get it delivered.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Noted

Will do.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2016, 03:42:50 AM »
My mom's side of the family migrated from Ireland around 1900.
My grandfather 's brother became the first non U.S. born Govoner of Pennsylvania since the founders of America. (His name is Tener and was Governor around the late 1930's after a pro baseball career )

Ireland is only a three hour flight from here so maybe soon I can visit her.🍀🍀

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
Tom:  I know you are living in Germany but not sure of your citizen status.  I doubt you have yet converted to German citizenship.  You likely qualify for Irish Citizenship and an EU passport.  If so, I'd recommend that you go through that process to ease your ex-pat status.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2016, 11:52:19 AM »
Sorry for your loss.My dad passed in the middle of the night before Easter at 85.I was sleeping at his place with the windows open and a strange wailing woke me.I never heard that sound before or since but I recalled his banshee stories he scared us with as kids.

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
Tom:  I know you are living in Germany but not sure of your citizen status.  I doubt you have yet converted to German citizenship.  You likely qualify for Irish Citizenship and an EU passport.  If so, I'd recommend that you go through that process to ease your ex-pat status.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

I'm not an ex-pat, I'm just an American living abroad. Not looking to become a German citizen. My U.S. passport gets me everywhere , no problem.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here