Author Topic: Irish MC road racing  (Read 1505 times)

oldbike54

Irish MC road racing
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
 Rough year so far , a fatality at the Northwest 200 , Ryan Farquhar is back in intensive care after his crash , not a safe year .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Irish MC road racing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:39:31 AM »
Rough year so far , a fatality at the Northwest 200 , Ryan Farquhar is back in intensive care after his crash , not a safe year .

Dusty

I saw that a few days ago.  He was 20 something.  Looked like a nice chap.  Don't think that kind of racing ever has a safe year.  :rolleyes:

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:51:51 AM »
I love to watch it, I hate to watch it. It is truly the last frontier in road racing.

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:17 AM »
Netflix has an incredible documentary about the Dunlop racing family (two generations of brothers) titled "Road".  It's a really great movie with lots of historical footage and gives the personal side of road racing.  I obviously knew of the IoM TT but had no idea there was so much racing on local roads through villages and the countryside.

I don't know if these racers are better than closed course riders but for sure, they're way crazier!  Greasy leathers from working on their own bikes, sleeping in vans, multiple races in different classes during the weekend, etc.  Oh, and the walls, trees, and lamp posts.

Highly recommended.
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:17 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:53:20 AM »
 We hear so much about the IOM TT , but the real racing in that series is at places like Cookstown , the Southern 100 (also on the Isle) , the Northwest 200 , etc . Incredibly dangerous , hell even the fans are at risk . Low budget , but Guy Martin's poster at Dainese is larger and hangs above Rossi's.

Dusty

Offline Duc-Duc-Goose

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Yeah, you know it's crazy when the GP guys raise an eyebrow.😉 I remember watching the TT one year when a rabbit came hopping across the roadway between riders. Speaking of which, I am riding in NC this week, and damn near hit a wild turkey that shot across the road in front of me. I was doing 60 - can't imagine the pucker factor if doing 135!

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the film on Netflix; always looking for bike stuff as I don't have cable.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

twowings

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »
"Road" is heartbreaking...as someone of Welsh ancestry, I can empathize with the resignation to fate of the Irish/Welsh/Scots coupled with the need for speed...even though the end result was death, I'm glad Joey, Rober,t, et al. had something to lift them out of the dire poverty and hopelessness imposed by the English rule...

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 05:59:17 PM »
"Road" is a great documentary which really shows the relentless obsession these guys have for racing motorcycles faster than common sense dictates . Simply amazing !
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here