Author Topic: Modern bat trees suck expensively  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Modern bat trees suck expensively
« on: July 27, 2016, 09:15:23 PM »
 First of all Japanese motorcycle manufacturers often inconsiderately put the ignition lock under your butt
where it is out of sight , out of mind.  In my absent minded case it frequently causes me to get off the bike leaving the ignition on.  This often results in a dead battery.  This used to be a minor inconvenience.  I would use my emergency jump battery and be on my way with the running engine recharging the dead battery.
 Not any more.  Battery manufacturers now build batteries that if you kill the battery by leaving the key on,
 IT IS TRUELY DEAD.  The battery is not to be reclaimed even by putting bit on a charger for a day and a night.
 This is not just a suspicion.  I spoke with the battery salesman today about this and he admitted it was true.
 The old lead acid batteries are a lot ore forgiving of this type of sin than the modern gell cell and other new design permennently sealed batteries.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Modern bat trees suck expensively
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:02:33 AM »
I know the calcium technology batteries I used to sell were never to go flat. Once the voltage dropped to 12v modern smart chargers would not look at them. They could often be salvaged by putting an old timer type battery charger on, one that continued to pump the amps in no matter what the voltage of the battery was. Once you got the battery to 12.5 v the smart chargers would then start being able to charge them.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Penderic

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 06:20:36 AM »
You got that right.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 06:37:34 AM »
In a digital world, everything is either on, or off. Modern electronic system? On or off....fueling? On or off...mostly binary events.

Carbs, points have no on/off...just an area where it runs poorly, but gets you home....you might limp there, but it works, even poorly...poor running tells you to check it out and adjust it back at the ranch...you might not leave the ranch because your analog bike is telling you something is amiss...

Digital binary events all around us....that can't be McGiver-ed to get it to run...just a system that goes off when it fails....battery, ignition, fueling, trip to the dealer to diagnose...

Yes, the failure rate is lower, but it gives no warning signs....zap, your walking with no options for self sufficiency
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 06:37:34 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »
I've been using Odyssey batteries ever since one came in my Centauro (tho' it had a different brand name on it), and I've not have a problem with 'dead' batteries.

The Odyssey charger hits the battery with a 40 amp current to "wake it up" when it finds it flat.   Forty amps to an old-style, small motorcycle battery would be asking for trouble, either melting it or a hydrogen explosion.   Non-Odyssey chargers won't supply that sort of current, typically.

Even though the new AGM and Gel batteries have their quirks, I'd a million times rather have one of them rather than carrying what is essentially an open bucket of sulfuric acid under my seat, ready to strip the chrome and paint off the bike at a moment's notice .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here