Author Topic: keep your eyes on the road  (Read 5249 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
keep your eyes on the road
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »

<br /

hosting pic

and your hands upon the wheel,
 or you could end up with one of these

temp img upload

50 MPH with wife on back
F#@!* me gently

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
Re: keep your eyes on the road
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:00:43 PM »
Shizer! Buy yourselves a lottery ticket. Looks like the kind of stick you play fetch with the bears you have over there. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:02:44 PM »
Ouch!   That's bad, but could have been worse.   Good job holding the bike up and not having the both of you go tumbling down the road ....

Sometimes even if you're looking, something shows up out from under the car or truck ahead, and you can't quite get out of the way .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
 Yeah , but look at the story you have to tell now  :grin:

Really glad the both of you are OK  :thumb:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
Ouch!   That's bad, but could have been worse.   Good job holding the bike up and not having the both of you go tumbling down the road ....

Sometimes even if you're looking, something shows up out from under the car or truck ahead, and you can't quite get out of the way .....

Lannis
Exactly right Lannis, spit out from under the car ahead of us and alone I probably could have yanked around it, but didn't dare not knowing if wifey was holding on or not so decided to thump over it as it was dead square in the road and pretend we were on a 700 lb. dirt bike.  Lot to be thankful for now including a mighty rugged cast wheel.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
Exactly right Lannis, spit out from under the car ahead of us and alone I probably could have yanked around it, but didn't dare not knowing if wifey was holding on or not so decided to thump over it as it was dead square in the road and pretend we were on a 700 lb. dirt bike.  Lot to be thankful for now including a mighty rugged cast wheel.

Thank's Dusty,  just returned from a 1000 mile trip to northern N.Y. and get home and this five minutes from home. 

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »
Shizer! Buy yourselves a lottery ticket. Looks like the kind of stick you play fetch with the bears you have over there.

At least bears arn't friggin poisonous, they'll kill you fare and square. :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:27:35 PM by lucian »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »
 Back in the early eighties I ran over something that made a clank.  When I got out of traffic I stopped and looked but saw nothing wrong.  A couple hours later I had a tire suddenly go flat.  When the tire place fixed my tire a day later,
 They showed me a piece of steel 8 inches long and an inch and a half wide that was found inside my inner tube.
 It had pierced the tire and was inside working against the tube until it sliced into the tube flattening the tire.
 Road debris can get you anywhere it wants.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 09:41:28 PM »
What really pissed me off is that I always maintain a good couple of car lengths at least in front of me, and just before this happened some douche passes us and fills in my zone.  Iv'e got cars piled up my arse and he straddles this piece of space junk and leaves me no time to react. Even worse , every one behind must have seen us launch over this thing and hobble off to the shoulder and not one of them stopped. Loosing faith rapidly!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:42:21 PM by lucian »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »
What really pissed me off is that I always maintain a good couple of car lengths at least in front of me, and just before this happened some douche passes us and fills in my zone.  Iv'e got cars piled up my arse and he straddles this piece of space junk and leaves me no time to react. Even worse , every one behind must have seen us launch over this thing and hobble off to the shoulder and not one of them stopped. Loosing faith rapidly!

I hate seeing that.   It's almost impossible to maintain spacing on a highway like that, because some idiot will say "I see a space I can fit in!" and fills it up.   If you back off, it happens again and again .....

If you weren't sure your passenger was ready, you probably made the right decision.   Riding home from lunch today, coming down off the Blue Ridge Parkway into hot weather, Fay riding pillion behind me on the Stelvio actually fell asleep (she's got a bit of a cold)!    I would hate to jerk the bike around too hard in that case; we'll probably discuss the sleeping on the bike thing .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 02:52:25 AM »
That was a close one!   :shocked:

I had the same thing happen running over an angle iron in PA about 10 years ago.  Same outcome -- broke the tires and kinked the rims.  I've told it before -- won't bore you with the details.  But it's one of the ultimate pucker experiences.  Keep the rim.  You've got bragging rights!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:52:50 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:08 AM »
At least bears arn't friggin poisonous, they'll kill you fare and square. :laugh:

Sharks...limited to a watery domain. Snakes...like most of us just want to be left to their own devices and hate being caught by surprise. Funnel web spiders...scary but apart from the occasional wandering horny male, it's like worrying about aeroplane crashes.

But bears!!?...Big furry fanged, horny and/or hungry, protective wild creatures that share the same environment as us and can out run a deer and climb a tree faster than I can fall out of one. That is worrying.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
glad you're OK
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
Way to control the bike👍

Good driving! Your wife should cook you something special 😁
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
Nice. That's one of the best pieces of junk found on the road I've seen for a while.  :thumb: Good job.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »
Thank's gentle men, I cant really take credit for keeping it upright, just shit luck and maybe a little help from higher up the food chain.  :bow:  Now the "if only I had " moments.  Some of your similar stories are reassuring that the right thing to do is get back on the horse.

I got talking to a BMW guy this morning I met on my coffee run . I parked the griso next to his r 1000 r and when he came out of the store we started comparing close calls. He had been across the country three times and only had two incidents. One like mine with a bent rim and flat and another that has us all beat. He was riding at night on rt. 66 heading out west when he saw an irregularity in the pavement ahead.  Turns out it wasn't the pavement at all but a heavy rubber tarp like the tractor trailers use. He slowed as much as he could and ended up with it folding up and flipping over the top of him. He ended up having to crawl out from underneath it at night in the middle of 66. I guess never  assume your always  going to go over things.
Makes you think.  I guess I can say I've pretty much bonded with the cali now. I owe it our lives, what a super MC,

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »

Everyone remarks how you only use a tenth of your brain. No one remarks why. This is why. When you only have a split second, your nine in reserve explodes like an air bag so's you can throw all ten tenths at the problem. Time goes ten times slower, you think ten times clearer, means there's ten times better chance you live to tell the tale.

Takes an hour or so to pack those nine reserve tenths back in their pressure container once you've let the little bastids out. Laughing seems to help.

Whole thing helps you appreciate life.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »

Everyone remarks how you only use a tenth of your brain. No one remarks why. This is why. When you only have a split second, your nine in reserve explodes like an air bag so's you can throw all ten tenths at the problem. Time goes ten times slower, you think ten times clearer, means there's ten times better chance you live to tell the tale.

Takes an hour or so to pack those nine reserve tenths back in their pressure container once you've let the little bastids out. Laughing seems to help.

Whole thing helps you appreciate life.
:1: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 11:09:51 PM »
Not panicking, hitting the brakes and locking up the wheels is probably what saved you. With the wheels still spinning, the gyroscopic forces kept the bike upright.

Many years ago I had a similar close call. The car ahead of me went over a large piece of semi trailer tire. It wound up hitting the crash bar at 60mph. As it went past it glanced off my foot and left it a little sore.

Ever since, I've made it a habit riding in the tire tracks rather than the center grease strip. Besides it being less likely hitting something the vehicle in front just passed over, there's also less chance of picking up a nail or something that can flat a tire.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 06:45:45 AM »
Some years back my wife and i were riding a rural blacktop on the T-3 when somehow I managed not to to see a very deep pothole. Hit it dead on between 50 and 55mph. We both cleared air over the seat My wife said that she thought for sure she was going off the bike. Pulled over and could not find any damage. Those wire Borrani wheels are tough as nails. I am also kind of surprised the forks didn't collapse.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »

Dave,

Yes, it's hard to leave that safe gap in between vehicles down here in greater Boston.  Everyone is an idiot.
Glad you pulled through.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »
Thank's Dusty,  just returned from a 1000 mile trip to northern N.Y. and get home and this five minutes from home.

And another Pope's blessing story for moto guzzis
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
That rim has earned medical retirement with a medal and full pay - put it on the wall in the garage and let it tell stories to the other rims.

" You kids don't know what tough is - when I was on active duty, we HAD to be tough .... "

Or, to quote Christopher Moore (Isle of the Sequined Love Nun), " All men were tampons once - things were better then ".

Go get the book, I promise you won't regret it.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »
I know what that's like. Rush hour, 70mph, 1988, R100RT a cinder block appears from under a truck. Only choice, ride it out. Front wheel looked a lot like that one, not quite as bad, but it immediately went flat. Got safely pulled over and 4 way flashered it to work. Overnighted a wheel and bearing set to the BMW dealer, new tire and underwear, good to go.
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
AF1 to the rescue, new rim ordered. will source a new tire locally, even though there is no visible damage to the one that took the hit. I worry about possible chord damage or something invisible. For the cost of a front tire I think the smart thing to do is scrap it. :sad:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
Dave,

Yes, it's hard to leave that safe gap in between vehicles down here in greater Boston.  Everyone is an idiot.
Glad you pulled through.

Joe

Thank's Joe, be careful down there.   Never thought  I'd have zero time to react to something like this. Just got lucky I get to tell the tale.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
AF1 to the rescue, new rim ordered. will source a new tire locally, even though there is no visible damage to the one that took the hit. I worry about possible chord damage or something invisible. For the cost of a front tire I think the smart thing to do is scrap it. :sad:

Yep, it's history.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »

Ya...I would hang it up as a "trophy" as I survived that...

beside that, not much you can use it for...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »
Good advice Thanks guy's, it's in the trash.  Now I just hope my fork seals aren't blown or worse. We'll know soon enough. Fingers crossed

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »
I'd be looking under her skirt...what kind of shock load does that make on the steering head bearings? Any bulges around the frame tubing? Any parts or pieces snapped in the cockpit? I mean that's a lot of force with no place to go
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here