Author Topic: Which is preferable to older riders: McDs or home?  (Read 3941 times)

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
Which is preferable to older riders: McDs or home?
« on: December 03, 2021, 01:38:55 PM »
Do you prefer to ride your Guzzi to the McDonald's in town, where you can sit and coddle your Senior coffee, whilst complaining about everything with the rest of the buzzards?    Or maybe you're the more, percolate your own  on stove top at home?   Hell, them grounds is just as good the second time around too!  (Guzzi content)
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline henwilv

• New Egg
Re: Which is preferable to older riders: McDs or home?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 01:44:20 PM »
Why go to McDonald for anything, unless you are desperate to commit suicide - don't you have a proper coffee shop somewhere, one that sells home made cake?? If not, next time you are in the very bottom left hand corner of Germany (top left hand corner of Switzerland) let me know and I'll introduce you to coffee, cake and Guzzi Gossip Heaven!!

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
I'd rather ride to a spot a pleasant atmosphere. I'm no coffee snob as I happily drink Nescafe instant decaf daily. :bike-037:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »
can sit and coddle your Senior coffee............. ................... WHAT???? Ain't nobody got time for that!   Could be getting those jugs in the BREEZE! And I'm "OK" with mc d's coffee. Better than some worse that others. I WON'T go to Starguts!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 02:45:39 PM »
I've never understood the affinity that many seniors have for McD's (or Hardee's depending on locale)

I would think they're the antithesis of anything the older generations would hold dear.

They're not comfortable
They're not nostalgic
They're not friendly
They lack any character

It seems like McD's is practically chasing everyone over 40 out the door with their kiosk nonsense.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 02:46:25 PM »
But it’s never been about the coffee...

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 02:55:20 PM »
I like Mcd's and I'm a shareholder.  I'd eat there all the time but I realize the stuff is deadly to my longevity & wallet.  My wife hates the place.  No, I don't ride my Guzzi's to McD's to shoot the breeze with the boys and coffee up....not my thing.  I preferred their coffee the way it was several years ago before they decided to compete with StarF's and other ridiculous $4+ latte places.  Anyway, I'm not a coffee connoisseur...I'll drink anyones swill they call coffee.  I've had Jetboil hot water in a cup with a one serving packet of Folgers Instant coffee a number of times at rally's and was damn glad zoom-zoom made it for me. :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 02:57:49 PM by guzziart »
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 03:01:06 PM »
can sit and coddle your Senior coffee............. ................... WHAT???? Ain't nobody got time for that!   Could be getting those jugs in the BREEZE! And I'm "OK" with mc d's coffee. Better than some worse that others. I WON'T go to Starguts!
Yeah I'm with ya on starguts.
Went there one time, they asked me if I want Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte, Mochas, Cappuccino, etc.
Told them I want normal coffee black. The look on their face was.... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 03:02:07 PM »
I've never understood the affinity that many seniors have for McD's (or Hardee's depending on locale)

I would think they're the antithesis of anything the older generations would hold dear.

They're not comfortable
They're not nostalgic
They're not friendly
They lack any character

It seems like McD's is practically chasing everyone over 40 out the door with their kiosk nonsense.

Yeah, the kiosk business is irritating imo.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if McD's went back to not having a dining area like it was 50+ years ago.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:03:22 PM by guzziart »
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 03:30:19 PM »
Im not a fan of McDonalds coffee. When you get used to drinking Cafe' Bustelo at home its hard to drink McDs swill! I even prefer the keurig cup coffee costco sells under their Kirkland brand. The little yellow   medium roast  cups are awesome when I am too lazy to make a proper espresso.

Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 03:37:11 PM »
I'd rather buy a can of beer and relax by a river or creek when out riding.
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 04:54:50 PM »

Summer heat,  McD`s  sweet tea, $1.00, 

free refills. I'm good for a couple.   :boozing:

I like 1/2 sweet and  1/2 not.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »
McD has coffee?  :cool:
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 05:22:18 PM »
Went there one time, they asked me if I want Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte, Mochas, Cappuccino, etc.
Told them I want normal coffee black. The look on their face was.... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

:thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 05:26:07 PM »
Just like when I hike. My thermos has my percolated coffee, and bring PB&J.
It never goes bad if too cold or hot, goes great with coffee too.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »
But it’s never been about the coffee...

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I'll be back on this one

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 05:40:27 PM »
Home for coffee in bed with my wife every morning. McDonalds for two cheeseburgers about three times a year.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 06:01:39 PM »
Yeah, the kiosk business is irritating imo.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if McD's went back to not having a dining area like it was 50+ years ago.

They used to have the standing only tables. Put potatoes into a french fry making device with a big lever (not electric) which would dice the potato into fries. And of course the "dunk cup", $0.03 for ketchup.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 06:33:59 PM »
Well my favorite coffee shop is right up the street and it is very comfortable. The owner gives me a hard time for drinking decaf, calls it brown sadness water, love the banter.

The bad thing is that all my "Wild Hogs" buddies went through to become "Mild Hogs" and are now just "Moldy Hogs" as in, not riding any longer. :~( :cry:

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »
Years ago as working stiffs, we would go to Mcd's for coffee break on the run for a quick cup of joe and would enjoy seeing some of our local retirees there enjoying there daily meet up for coffee time . Some were fathers of friends of mine and others were locals we all knew from a small town growing up. most if not all of them were WWII vets , some Korea and some Vietnam era. I remember them telling us to get back to work and cover there social security. We'd laugh and go back to work with our cheap brown water. I remember thinking, man these guys are here every day like clock work, I don't get it. Slowly over time I no longer saw them at coffee break but instead shared stories about the last time I saw them at a funeral  home with their families. Not long after that chapter passed  , still a working stiff I started seeing friends a bit older but of my generation at Mcd's starting the same ritual. Another generation of retirees following in the footsteps of the previous . I started looking forward and hoping I would get to join them someday before too many of us were not able to attended. I really wish I hadn't felt so obligated to get back to work and instead had sat with the earlier crew to listen to their conversations, I can only imagine. Once my helper and I were in line ahead of the elderly  crew and I paid their tab in advance and the cashier knew exactly what the total would be as it was the same every day they came. That day we sat and drank our coffee with them and shared a few laughs and I noticed when we all got up to leave that most of them had not even finished or touched  there coffee .  I joked with on of my friends dad about tossing the coffee I had just  so graciously paid for and he laughed and said , " son , we don't come here for the coffee , but thanks just the same.
Got to hand it to Huzo , nailed it again buddy!  It ain't about the coffee.

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »
Since a lot of states don't have rest areas on the two lane highways I use Mickey D's for my breaks. Usually a clean restroom, air conditioned, something to drink if you like, and the dang things are everywhere.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 07:08:58 PM »
Personally, McD is my standard breakfast place for “on the road” adventures.  Plenty of calories, quick and consistent.   Vastly better than the “free breakfast” stuff served at Holiday Inn and the likes.  Gag. 

But if I can find a popular local diner or Mexican place, I’ll go there instead. 

One of my best trips to McD was one morning near New Iberia, Louisiana.  I happened to sit next to a table of old, but animated Cajun men.  Speaking Cajun.  Fascinating to listen to, even though I understood very little. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 08:15:05 PM »
the kaffee is drinkable,  well, not to you snobs...... :coffee:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 09:07:08 PM »
Years ago as working stiffs, we would go to Mcd's for coffee break on the run for a quick cup of joe and would enjoy seeing some of our local retirees there enjoying there daily meet up for coffee time . Some were fathers of friends of mine and others were locals we all knew from a small town growing up. most if not all of them were WWII vets , some Korea and some Vietnam era. I remember them telling us to get back to work and cover there social security. We'd laugh and go back to work with our cheap brown water. I remember thinking, man these guys are here every day like clock work, I don't get it. Slowly over time I no longer saw them at coffee break but instead shared stories about the last time I saw them at a funeral  home with their families. Not long after that chapter passed  , still a working stiff I started seeing friends a bit older but of my generation at Mcd's starting the same ritual. Another generation of retirees following in the footsteps of the previous . I started looking forward and hoping I would get to join them someday before too many of us were not able to attended. I really wish I hadn't felt so obligated to get back to work and instead had sat with the earlier crew to listen to their conversations, I can only imagine. Once my helper and I were in line ahead of the elderly  crew and I paid their tab in advance and the cashier knew exactly what the total would be as it was the same every day they came. That day we sat and drank our coffee with them and shared a few laughs and I noticed when we all got up to leave that most of them had not even finished or touched  there coffee .  I joked with on of my friends dad about tossing the coffee I had just  so graciously paid for and he laughed and said , " son , we don't come here for the coffee , but thanks just the same.
Got to hand it to Huzo , nailed it again buddy!  It ain't about the coffee.
👍

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 09:37:00 PM »
 I ate a McDonald's burger today, it's been a long time but the one dollar burger tasted just like they did 40 years ago. Dry and grainy but strangely interesting....McDo nald's has terrible coffee as most coffee shops...

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2021, 10:48:47 PM »
Most of the McDonalds where I have been lately have closed their dining rooms.  Not convenient when on a bike.

I only drink a mug of coffee in the morning and that is it for caffeine.  Using a drip maker and Folgers 1/2 caffeine is what my wife buys. 

I have been on road trips where I pop into a McDonalds for a break and then find myself the center of attention while the locals ask me questions and regale me with stories of the bikes they used to ride, or have stashed away in the basement or barn. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 09:49:59 AM »
I am a coffee snob and McD is not on the radar, for food or coffee. But hanging out with buddies is OK and I might make an exception..... but not at McD.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 10:51:12 AM »
My wife and I are coffee snobs. We have a drip coffee maker that grinds the beans and then brews the coffee. I won't order coffee anywhere. McDonald's, rather not but my wife loves their fries. Once in awhile I will go in and order a couple of their crappy plain burgers and fries just for old times sake. Most of the other fast food joints a4e much better.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »
I'm a spring chicken compaired to most of you old coots...  I prefer a nice solitary scenic overlook with a water bottle and an apple from my tail bag
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
McDonald's coffee is like Coors light. Not worth the water it took to make it nor worth my time to drink it. 

Hard to bead a good pot of home perc 'ed coffee. Electric percolator is faster and easier than stove top percolators. YMMV.

Nailed it right there! Their crap tastes like water compared to the good dark roasts I make at home!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here