Author Topic: Making bolts on a lathe.  (Read 703 times)

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
Making bolts on a lathe.
« on: December 27, 2022, 08:30:30 PM »
Putting wrench flats on a bolt using your lathe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCFfvmREacA
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Making bolts on a lathe.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 07:43:03 AM »
That link is a guy making a shell style cutter?

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 08:01:18 AM »
That link is a guy making a shell style cutter?

More than that. That guy is a genius. Maybe I missed it but a slow motion segment of the tool passing over the work would have helped understand how its making flat surfaces.

Pete

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 08:27:16 AM »
When I think about the geometric intersection points that allow this to work it hurts my head.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 08:27:16 AM »

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 04:58:43 PM »
I would have thought the phasing of that drive shaft he cut to be important for the cutter to hit just right to produce the flats.
Didn't look like it was marked for that.
See at 10min 52sec.
Cool project all the same !
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline FarmallA

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 05:23:07 PM »
"I would have thought the phasing of that drive shaft he cut to be important for the cutter to hit just right to produce the flats."

Once the cutter makes the first cut, as long as nothing is changed partway through the process, it establishes it's own phase.

Does that make any sense?

As far as making flat surfaces, I'm just going to have to believe. (not that I don't believe it, but I just don't completely understand.  Thankfully, I don't have to understand).

I wish I still had a half decent machine shop. 

FarmallA
steve
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:34:03 PM by FarmallA »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 05:30:07 PM »
I think he forgot to grease those two bearings :wink:
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 11:12:24 PM »
I don't get it. As far as I can see, just mechanical masturbation. Sure, you can do it, but why bother? You have perfectly adequate machine tools to cut those flats on the mill and be done with it in *much* less time. <shrug>
Whatever.. just *don't* do like he does and leave the chuck key in the lathe chuck while doing other stuff. It's inviting disaster..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 07:35:51 AM »
I don't get it. As far as I can see, just mechanical masturbation. ×SNIP×
Well maturation is fun. Mom was right. I needed glasses. If the Nuns were right I'll have a very warm afterlife.
But you do these sort of mechanical things just because you can. It is another path to a result. It is good to have multiple roads to any destination. It is the sort of thought that led to Wankel engines, constant velocity axle joints and contactless screw air compressors. If we didn't explore alternate paths we'd still be dealing with external combustion engines.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 07:55:35 AM »
I see the original link has changed.  The new link matches the post now.  Making machines to make thousands of parts is something a home shop machinist is not trying to do.  I am able to make bolts and screws with almost any configuration if I desire.  When I desire is when I cannot buy one faster and cheaper.  As Chuck points out Safety first and yes there are plenty of ways to make wrench flats quickly in a home shop without that crazy setup. 

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 08:12:52 AM »
I don't get it. As far as I can see, just mechanical masturbation. Sure, you can do it, but why bother? You have perfectly adequate machine tools to cut those flats on the mill and be done with it in *much* less time. <shrug>
Whatever.. just *don't* do like he does and leave the chuck key in the lathe chuck while doing other stuff. It's inviting disaster..
I was going to comment earlier but didn't due to the fact I am a self taught home mini lathe abuser. It seemed to my the hell didn't he do the flats on a mill. I don't have a mill so I don't have any experience with one other than testing valve springs in the aircraft shop. When I first started working in that shop one of the first things I was told was to never leave the key in the headstock.  :grin:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 08:22:18 AM »
I see the original link has changed.  The new link matches the post now.  Making machines to make thousands of parts is something a home shop machinist is not trying to do.  I am able to make bolts and screws with almost any configuration if I desire.  When I desire is when I cannot buy one faster and cheaper.  As Chuck points out Safety first and yes there are plenty of ways to make wrench flats quickly in a home shop without that crazy setup.
Link was never changed by me. Guess you took the alternate path.
That aside, I've made my share of hex head bolts with a miller and rotary table. But that's not the point here.
His project resulted in a group of points projected in space generating a relatively straight line through a rotating cylinder with a circular path cutter. He generated a repeated chord line on a moving cylinder. I'm sure cutter rpm vs cylinder rpm and the number of cutter inserts are all critical to this working. I'm sure there is a mathematical formula that describes these intersections. As a tool & die maker I delight in the process. As a human, just trying to imagine each tool pass makes my head hurt.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 08:25:15 AM by n3303j »
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 08:39:48 AM »
As a human, just trying to imagine each tool pass makes my head hurt.

Thats the part I haven’t figured out either but this is how learning is advanced. Hegel’s dielectic. Making a hex on a mill with one rotating tool (thesis), making a hex on a lathe with two rotating tools in synchrony (antithesis), and now someone using these two methods to come up with an application using these concepts on something else maybe not even related to shaping metal (synthesis).

Pete

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 10:36:41 AM »
I have most of these machine tools, but nowhere the confidence to embark.

Is it practical?  An astounding 730,000 views in 6 days.  That's entertainment.
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 11:35:34 AM »
The answer to a question no one asked.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here