Author Topic: Train pics & questions  (Read 6134 times)

GeorgiaGuzzi

Train pics & questions
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
So is there anything unique about this engine? I drive across a busy track sometimes 6 times a day. It’s not unusual to see someone parked by the track with a tripod setup. I always want to ask what they’re doing, but I don’t want to offend either. Anyways, this past Saturday and today there was at half a dozen people standing by the tracks, with many cameras etc. I pulled up and stopped, bc I never argue or even risk arguing with a train. Anyways, several people started gesturing for me to “get my nether regions across the track posthaste”, or something along those lines. I did, and noticed there was a train about to get going on the sidetrack. It looked relatively normal, but I snapped a pic of it to ask the train people here who know more than I

Said locomotives

This pic I snapped just because the other week.

And finally, when the train stops thiiiiiiiiis far away from clearing the crossing, you know you’ve done pissed in the universe’s cheerios.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:14:25 PM by GeorgiaGuzzi »

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: NGC - Train pics & questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »

Looks to be a couple of Union Pacific Electro Motive Diesel power units. Standard of the industry, However you gotta watch those train fanatics, they're worse than Guzzisti's. My oldest brother plans his vacations around this or that train related excursion annualy .

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 08:45:26 PM »

I have a couple of these in my Lionel collection. They are the SD70 ACE
The EMD (Electro Motive Division) SD70ACe (often nicknamed "Ace" or "The Ace" by most railfans, builders, and employees) is a type of six-axle, 16-cylinder, 4,300hp AC-traction diesel-electric locomotive which was first introduced in 2004 (the prototypes built the previous year), and has been in production since 2005.

Lots of horsepower.

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 08:53:19 PM »
If your pictures were actually taken in Georgia, the excitement may have been due to the presence of Union Pacific engines, a long way from their normal stomping grounds. Train fanatics, aka foamers, tend to get worked up when something unusual is in the area. I am assuming those tracks are now owned by Norfolk Southern based on the second picture.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:55:01 PM by PeteS »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 08:53:19 PM »

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 10:23:19 PM »
If your pictures were actually taken in Georgia, the excitement may have been due to the presence of Union Pacific engines, a long way from their normal stomping grounds. Train fanatics, aka foamers, tend to get worked up when something unusual is in the area. I am assuming those tracks are now owned by Norfolk Southern based on the second picture.

Pete

You are correct. Pics were taken in Atlanta proper, just off Bolton Rd. And most trains are the black ones like the second pic. Maybe they got lost? 😂😂😂

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:00:27 AM »
I saw BNSF engines in North Carolina a few years ago.  I asked about it then, and I was told it had to do with a freight backlog and rail companies leasing engines from each other.

Or something to that effect.

As for the people gathering at grade crossings with cameras, they are "trainspotting."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:02:29 AM by nc43bsa »
1990 MilleGT

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 05:48:00 AM »

Pete

Thats my guess also. Big honking UP power, running in a strange place.

Im a huge train fan myself, and as I sit reading this, and drinking my coffee, im looking at the main line between albany NY and Boston Mass right out my window about 100 feet away..  I do enjoy when a odd ball comes by.
Paul B

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 06:36:57 AM »
I am also a train fan but more into model trains, 1940 era. My commute to work crosses the old New York Central, now CSX mainline from New York/Boston to Chicago. I have seen UP, BNSF including some in their old Southern Pacific and SF Warbonnet paint schemes on those tracks as well. Not so much into modern trains though. I am fairly clueless when it comes to diesels made after about 1960.
I do have 4 UP SD70ACe's in the Building America, Spirit of UP, and George HW Bush schemes, my only modern power.
This was taken by a friend a few years ago just down the road from me. Its the Union Pacific Business train led by an engine called Spirit of UP. It was named after a WWII B17 that was funded by the employees of the UP during The war..

Pete
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:50:11 AM by PeteS »

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »
UP at present has a lot of locos not being used. NS instead of buying new units leases locos from UP.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:04:38 PM by Two Checks »
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
BNSF have a big yard just up the road from me in New Westminster British Columbia. It's interesting how the railroad companies share each others tracks and rolling stock.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
Ran across lots of trains the past two days. Belington, WV.

Oakland, Maryland.

Got another picture of this monster in Rowlesburg, WV. Could not figure out how to get closer. :(

Oh, and one plane.

He lost the run of himself.

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 06:43:26 PM »
Nice pics John!

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 07:31:19 PM »
The "monster" appears to be a Jordan Spreader. Best google the name as it evolved over the years. It was a multi function tool that could plow snow and spread ballast on the track.

Pete

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »
Thanks, GG.  I wish I had D Kalals talent.  I just point and shoot.

Pete:  Yeah, we had the ID on that monster from Charlie, I think.  I photographed it previously on one of my rambles.  I was really hoping to get down to it this time but just couldn't find the access road. 

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 09:16:37 PM »
The "monster" appears to be a Jordan Spreader. Best google the name as it evolved over the years. It was a multi function tool that could plow snow and spread ballast on the track.

Pete

Yep. I posted a link to a website that confirmed what it was on the Tag-O-Rama topic.

Kind of surprised to see Western MD #82 at Belington. I guess the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley isn't running any excursions out of Elkins right now and they're using other locomotives for freight operations. #82 is an EMD BL2, one of the few in existence and even fewer still running.

Charlie

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 09:25:07 PM »

Went to the Big Boy 4014 in Coffeeville, Ks.
He drew a pretty big crowd. Hmmmm, seems like a different world  :sad:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:28:43 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 05:34:27 PM »
I have passed this building in Grafton West Virginia a hundred times.

I took a closer look today and saw:

Well damn. Is that the old B&O depot?  Grafton is awfully rundown but it used to be a hopping place.

Also, while out riding today I found this impressive looking rail bridge. Impressed me anyway.

Offline saxontaylor

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »
Something about railroading that sticks with you...i still have dreams (& nightmares) about riding the rails - 35 years after leaving the job.
Hours were too cRaZY for me.
Fun job...when the weather is nice!

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »
I have passed this building in Grafton West Virginia a hundred times.

I took a closer look today and saw:

Well damn. Is that the old B&O depot?  Grafton is awfully rundown but it used to be a hopping place.

Also, while out riding today I found this impressive looking rail bridge. Impressed me anyway.

Great photos. I used to go out to Grafton about once a year. There was a great little restaurant called the "Four Corners" right at the intersection of 50 and 119. About 12 years ago, it was torn down and replaced by a Walgreens.  :angry: I'd always stay at the Crislip Motor Lodge.

Something about railroading that sticks with you...i still have dreams (& nightmares) about riding the rails - 35 years after leaving the job.
Hours were too cRaZY for me.
Fun job...when the weather is nice!

I think about my (very) short railroad career, no dreams or nightmares though. Only 22 years ago for me. Crazy hours was why I left too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:01:52 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 12:00:07 AM »
So I saw an interesting Norfolk Southern car and engine parked on the sidetrack I go past. I had to take a picture.

Looks kinda old timey. Anyway I thought it was cool and figured I’d share. Thanks, Robert

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:17 AM »

Norfolk Southern research train....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH575y1HZE0

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
Thanks Paul! That was very interesting.

Offline Gary Scott

• Guzzigary
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Gary Scott
    • guzzigary52@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 07:02:13 PM »
  Vinita,Okla
  on any given day there is a guy with about 10 camera's set up taking pic's{ a little rail knowledge} BNSF runs east - west through town but Union Pacific runs North-South an the tracks cross each other you talk about noise clickety clack.
Rain or shine the guy sets there taking pics.
Must get pic's an sells them.
 Gary
Retirement is treating me just fine.
Working part time now, more hours now than when i was working full time it sucks

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2020, 11:58:16 PM »
You have probably seen one of these traveling slowly on the rails near you. It measures any track misalignment using a light beam and corrects it.
If the rail is low it grabs the rail and pulls it up then tamps the ballast under the cross-tie.
I repair quite a few of the alignment detectors and invented a derail alarm for the buggy.

This one is folded up with the buggy in the travel position, normally the buggy is pushed out about 20 feet in front and shining Infra-red light beams back at the main unit.
The light beam passes across a shadow board you can see just in front of the cab to the detector at the rear of the unit.
https://www.american-rails.com/tampers.html
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 12:11:02 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2020, 07:03:58 AM »
Great pic, GG.
Thanks for the info, Roy.  I've a book about a Kiwi who was a Gran Prix mechanic for Lotus in the 60's.  Clever buggers, you NZers.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 09:57:06 PM »
One of my post retirement jobs is transporting BNSF railroad crews on dead heads and dog catches. A couple of times I have transported metric train crews to the airport so they can return to their home yards. They come from all over to do this specialized job.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 08:45:01 AM »
 ^ So I'll bite , what's a "dead head or dog catch" ?  Peter

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
Dead head is crew going back to the yard. Dog catch is picking up the crew at a siding or some other remote location.  I did a dog catch with an assist this morning at 3a.m. Crazy hours.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »
I saw BNSF engines in North Carolina a few years ago.  I asked about it then, and I was told it had to do with a freight backlog and rail companies leasing engines from each other.

Or something to that effect.

As for the people gathering at grade crossings with cameras, they are "trainspotting."

I dropped a crew off at a train last week. One of the motors, as the crews call them, was marked "Ferro Mex". Yup, a Mexican locomotive. Surprised me.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 11:22:53 PM »
One of my post retirement jobs is transporting BNSF railroad crews on dead heads and dog catches. A couple of times I have transported metric train crews to the airport so they can return to their home yards. They come from all over to do this specialized job.
kk
Where is the home office for BNSF, I'm asking because they have a facility just down the road from me in New Westminster British Columbia, their trains seem to use CN tracks.
Kind of a neat name Burlington Northern Sante Fe
I found this map
http://www.acwr.com/economic-development/rail-maps/bnsf
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:27:10 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here