Author Topic: 2000 Jackal Leaks Fuel  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
2000 Jackal Leaks Fuel
« on: May 07, 2021, 02:54:30 PM »
Last time I rode my Jackal, the power started dropping, and I limped to the house. I decided to change the fuel filter. I think that was in 2015. Anyway, I didn't put it back together until today. I'm selling the bike to my best friend, and we got it together.

It will not start. When we crank it, fuel drips out behind a big shiny cylinder on the left side of the bike below the battery. In spite of my incredibly vast knowledge of motor cycle fuel systems, I don't know what the cylinder is. I tried looking it up on some diagrams. I saw something called a carbon filter. No idea what the purpose is.

Anyway, I'm wondering why the bike is pushing fuel out of this thing instead of into the cylinders. Is it possible that injectors plugged with crud could back the fuel up and make it leak elsewhere?

He wants to drag this thing 1500 miles on a weird trailer thing that leaves the rear wheel on the ground, but he's concerned that letting the wheel turn when the engine isn't running will screw something up. Is that likely?

Thanks for the help. Which I assume I will get.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: 2000 Jackal Leaks Fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
IIRC, the charcoal cannisters should be black.  A shiny cylinder is likely the fuel pump itself.

That is a lot of mileage for a wheel on the ground tow.  I can't think of any problems to the transmission.  The rotating output shaft should lift oil onto the bearings.  If you are concerned, you could quickly pull the rear wheel and the drive box and remove the drive shaft from the tube.  Reassemble with no drive shaft and only the rear wheel hub bits will turn and lift their own puddle of lubricant.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »
What he said.   :thumb: 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »
 I wonder if the hose has cracked behind the fuel filter. Maybe it's going on the ground instead of into the injectors.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 03:32:57 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 05:37:00 PM »
You have a puddle under the bike? I would swap out that section of 21yr old hose.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 05:39:59 PM »
"No Smoking!!!"  Especially if someone comes up to where you're working.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 08:55:04 PM »
That is the fuel pump as Patrick says--the fuel filter is under the tank. As I recall there are a dozen or more hoses for the fuel/evap recovery systems on those bikes. PITA to get to them all.

Rich A

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 04:58:04 AM »
Big shiny thing on left side below battery is probably the fuel pump.  If there are leaks it won't build enough pressure to run. I think it would be a bad idea to tow with rear wheel on ground, unless driveshaft was disconnected/
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 08:05:09 AM »
As was said, its the pump. If you follow the lines, the line from the petcock goes to one end, then the other to the filter/engine. The lines can be a bear to get to, but having already replaced the filter, you know that already. As for towing..  Really for what you can pick up a single rail motorcycle trailer for, or how cheap the UHaul motorcycle trailers are to rent, Id just toss that one wheel thing in the scrap pile.
Paul B

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 10:24:49 AM »
We got the pump out. Can't see any damage. Removing a short piece of tubing to rule out holes. If it still leaks, new pump, I guess.

He has been looking for a used trailer. No luck yet.

The Odyssey battery creates a lot more room to play around.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 10:54:32 AM »
Might be a good time to replace all of the hoses.
Charlie

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 11:50:58 AM »
Might be a good time to replace all of the hoses.

Ya, my 02 stone had less then 9K on it, and most all of them were pretty bad..  At least check them over REAL well for hardness, and cracks. Any you dont do now, he will want to do vary soon down the road.
Paul B

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »
Looks like the leak is from the pump, not the hoses.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=2491

Water in ethanol fuel could freeze I think.
There is a connector on wiring leads if you follow it, then you can do post nuts on the bench.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:55:48 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 07:03:24 AM »
This document will tell you all you need to know about the fuel system.
https://dpguzzi.com/efiman.pdf
On page 3 it shows yellow hoses connecting the regulator to both inlet manifolds, that is not correct, the regulator connection should be left to go to atmosphere.
Sitting so long it's likely the pump has gummed up with varnish, sometimes you can get them to break free, I would start by spraying carb cleaner into the inlet and run a couple of wires to a battery.
Try reversing the leads and perhaps a bump to free it up, once free the pump will quickly clean itself out.

Last time I rode my Jackal, the power started dropping, and I limped to the house. I decided to change the fuel filter. I think that was in 2015. Anyway, I didn't put it back together until today. I'm selling the bike to my best friend, and we got it together.

I bought a 2001 EV in Denver that had spent a lot of it's life outside, it ran out of power like that, I eventually found that the filter was plugged with rust, after back-flushing it out the bike never looked back all the way back to British Columbia, I never needed a new filter, the rust is ground up fine by the pump and just sits on the surface of the filter media, it doesn't get into it. A symptom of a plugged filter is a noisey pump, unable to get through the filter the pressure rises until it lifts the internal relief at over 70 PSI. it also causes the pump current to rise from about 4 Amps to over 7
Patrick told me how the recessed filler drain on these tanks plugs with rust, any water in there ends up in the tank where it causes rust, the rust all collects in the filter.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:27:19 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 07:29:51 PM »
Thanks for all the help. The fuel pump was no good. Tonight we put a new one in, and the bike runs like new.

Now to do something about the turn signal stalks, which have dissolved.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 06:29:52 AM »
Nice to hear its up and running again..  My 02 stone just sprung a leak out of the blue just the other day.  Now Im going in and replacing the hoses I didnt replace the first time!!!!!   
Paul B

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 06:54:08 AM »
Thanks for all the help. The fuel pump was no good. Tonight we put a new one in, and the bike runs like new.

Curtis Harper just recently posted some nice looking replacements that Harper's now sells.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline road island guzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 04:29:23 PM »

there's a whole buncha stuff with the jackal rear light setup. it's been a few years since i fixed mine but key points are replace the brake light bulb fixtures with metal housings (the plastic melts / distorts) and the stems on the plastic frame break and or the inserts come out. the stems are the reason that jackals and stones eat turn signal stalks; bend the metal tab and tighten only to come loose again in a few thousand miles. best setup is a threaded rod that runs between them. after the mod the stems won't vibrate loose and self destruct. everything was easy to do, wire nuts, washers and hardware were easy to find. much easier to do everything at once. once the plate is off you'll see what needs to be found and done.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here