Author Topic: Paint peel due to fuel  (Read 778 times)

Offline drburt

• Hatchling
Paint peel due to fuel
« on: May 08, 2021, 03:53:55 PM »
2001 EV (not that model is relevant)
Noticed today that my petcock and fuel sensor were loose.
Gasoline has gotten on tank and paint has come loose from tank at least an inch around the fittings.
2 inchish bubbles.
I tightened the petcock and sensor, but am wondering what you would do as preventative maintenance on the paint.
I'm guessing that if I don't do something the bubble will spread.
The paint used to look so good! RATS!!
Thanks,
Brent

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Paint peel due to fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 08:42:27 PM »
I think I’d clean it up ,tape it, and brush paint an area around it so it looks sorta like it’s sposed to be there. Easy if it’s black as it’s near the underside
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »
I was just doing some touching up on my 1983 Honda CB1000c, a couple days ago.
I ran across a method of paint touching up a while back when I decided to try another application method besides a paper match, which has been used for decades for touch up by professional body shops.
I had some smoking pipe filters in my tool chest that I keep for various uses. I bent one in half and dipped it into black paint that I had sprayed into the lid. Upon applying to chips on the frame I was amassed how this method actually filled the chip only and virtually disappeared. Only under close inspection in well lighted condition could I see the repair. Practice and experiment on a less visible part of the bike befit attempting the work area desired. Good luck!

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »
I don't think it will spread if you have stopped the leak. I agree just clean it up and cover with matching paint. Just make sure its not an enamel. Gas will eat it in short order. Use a lacquer or best a urethane.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 04:56:47 PM »
I was just doing some touching up on my 1983 Honda CB1000c, a couple days ago.
I ran across a method of paint touching up a while back when I decided to try another application method besides a paper match, which has been used for decades for touch up by professional body shops.
I had some smoking pipe filters in my tool chest that I keep for various uses. I bent one in half and dipped it into black paint that I had sprayed into the lid. Upon applying to chips on the frame I was amassed how this method actually filled the chip only and virtually disappeared. Only under close inspection in well lighted condition could I see the repair. Practice and experiment on a less visible part of the bike befit attempting the work area desired. Good luck!

Or you could do it the 21st century way with a 12 dollar tool like this. Go to 8:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLJnqiBxKtg&ab_channel=AMMONYC

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 05:41:08 AM »
Or you could do it the 21st century way with a 12 dollar tool like this. Go to 8:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLJnqiBxKtg&ab_channel=AMMONYC

Ciao
I reckon I’m just an ole dinosaur, Phil👍

Offline drburt

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »
I appreciate all the input on my paint issue.
It's one of those Red with Cream EVs, so no black.
Now to match the red...

My bubbles are about 2" across each. I don't think this is a case for paper matches, although I'd love to know why in the world would a paper match be used instead of just a small brush.

Thanks for the heads up on paint type. Never would have guessed that enamel is not good for this application.

That's some cool pro/amateur kit for touchup. I might look into that.

Thanks!
Brent

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 04:59:07 PM »
I appreciate all the input on my paint issue.
It's one of those Red with Cream EVs, so no black.
Now to match the red...

My bubbles are about 2" across each. I don't think this is a case for paper matches, although I'd love to know why in the world would a paper match be used instead of just a small brush.

Thanks for the heads up on paint type. Never would have guessed that enamel is not good for this application.

That's some cool pro/amateur kit for touchup. I might look into that.

Thanks!
Brent
I know Brent, one would think a professional body man would keep a small brush but this practice goes back further than my time. The body man that reps my 69 super Bee showed me the technique when I was a kid and I’ve five it ever since. The paper match absorbs the paint snd disperses it very fluidly and controllable. It really fields in pebble strike chips better thing I’ve ever tried.
Anyhow I hope you get your bike back to as normal as possible as I know it’s depressing.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here