Author Topic: Improving the dash on an 850 T3  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Kane

• New Egg
Improving the dash on an 850 T3
« on: June 13, 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
This is the dash currently on the bike:

This is in shade with ignition on and engine not running. The neutral, oil, and gen lights are illuminated, but in sunlight these light are so dim that it’s pretty hard to see if they are lit or out.
So, any thought on how to improve the visibility of the dash lights?
I’m wondering if the plastic becomes more opaque as it ages. Would a stronger bulb help, and can one run stronger bulbs without incident? Are there better version of the dash that the original can be swapped out for?
It would be great to hear how others have dealt with this.
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 05:29:24 PM by Kane »
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Improving the dash on an 850 T3
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 05:34:58 PM »
LED lamps for the warning lights can improve the visibility a great deal.

I had a old RE 500 that you couldn't read the speedo at night, it was so poorly illuminated. I put all LEDs into it and voila! It was like a new machine. Could easily read the speedo at night and the warning lamps were all visible in daylight!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline guzzifan

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »
The path to dash-enlightenment is well-travelled on this site. 

What you need are led bulbs that are a direct fit and work 100% better than stock.  I have done this mod to my Convert and I only wish I’d done it sooner.  Search for the thread on this site. I recall the vendor’s name was Superbrightleds.com or something like that.  Very little cost, quick shipping and a perfect fit…and no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way other than being a customer.

Offline Kane

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »
Thank you, guys. Appreciate the specific advice and info.

Cheers!
2001 V11 Sport
1978 850-T3
2009 Ducati 1100 Hypermotard

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 06:59:48 PM »
Had the original dash on my T3 until I high sided it about 6 years ago. Indicator lamps were not visible in daylight.

High side totalled the dash and I bought a direct replacement from MG Cycle.

No problem seeing the indicators through the "fresh" plastic.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=276&products_id=4483

'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 08:55:02 PM »
My favourite bulb from Superbrightleds.com is the 194 because it incorporated a rectifier and is non polarity dependent.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/194-led-bulb-1-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/197/
I usually do away with the socket and solder wires direct to the lamp, they should outlast the bike and you don't need sockets with their additional connections.
If the wires have become corroded over the years they will be impossible to solder, in that case you can retain part of the old wire lugs as a soldering aid.
The generator LED will not draw enough current to trigger the alternator but you can do that with an equivalent resistor in parallel. I think 20 Ohms should do it.
If you are running LEDs in the turn signals you may need to modify the idiot light in the dash to prevent cross-talk, that's dead easy with a pair of diodes.
Don't buy the resistors to put in parallel with the flashers, they are not necessary.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:12:28 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »
Only issue with LED on a T3 has to do with exciter current required for the Bosch alternator. The incandescent bulb passes enough current to start the rotor magnetic cycle. An LED indicator might require adding a resistor into the circuit to feed the rotor at startup.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 09:38:26 PM »
My favourite bulb from Superbrightleds.com is the 194 because it incorporated a rectifier and is non polarity dependent.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/194-led-bulb-1-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/197/
I usually do away with the socket and solder wires direct to the lamp, they should outlast the bike and you don't need sockets with their additional connections.
If the wires have become corroded over the years they will be impossible to solder, in that case you can retain part of the old wire lugs as a soldering aid.
The generator LED will not draw enough current to trigger the alternator but you can do that with an equivalent resistor in parallel. I think 20 Ohms should do it.
If you are running LEDs in the turn signals you may need to modify the idiot light in the dash to prevent cross-talk, that's dead easy with a pair of diodes.
Don't buy the resistors to put in parallel with the flashers, they are not necessary.
Only issue with LED on a T3 has to do with exciter current required for the Bosch alternator. The incandescent bulb passes enough current to start the rotor magnetic cycle. An LED indicator might require adding a resistor into the circuit to feed the rotor at startup.

Greg Bender sells a ready-made "bootstrap harness" that allows the use of an LED in the "Battery" warning light without causing problems.

I'm still using the sockets and have had zero issues.

I've also had no problems with LED signal indicator lights and LEDs in the signals themselves as well. Just switched to an LED flasher unit is all.
Charlie

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »
I fitted a different version of this dash that has turn signal indicators. It's from a V50 of some sort. It is easy to tap the turn signal wires. The dash has a "brake" light that indicated low brake fluid; I rewired it to indicate the brake light was activated. I also added a relay to the low beam indicator lamp indicating the headlight is on, which I found to be an unnecessary nuisance at night; it now illuminates to warn when I have forgotten to turn the headlight on.

+1 on the LED conversion.

Moto
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:53:19 AM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »
I fitted a different version of this dash that has turn signal indicators. It's from a V50 of some sort. It is easy to tap the turn signal wires. The dash has a "brake" light that indicated low brake fluid; I rewired it to indicate the brake light was activated. I also added a relay to the low beam indicator, which I found to be an unnecessary nuisance at night; it now illuminates to warn when I have forgotten to turn the headlight on.

+1 on the LED conversion.

Moto

This is a V50 III dash.

Charlie

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 09:20:11 AM »
As said LED bulbs may help, however if too bright then they can be distracting at night time especially the high beam headlight.
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »
This is a V50 III dash.

Now that you mention it, I recall having been uncertain about the origin of the dash, which I got as a NOS part from eBay. Someone later claimed that T3s had turn signals, so maybe this is a later T3 dash. You can see my repurposed brake and low beam headlight-on indicators in this photo:

It's been a very fine upgrade from the original one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:55:54 AM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
UPDATE: I found a product brochure for the 1979 V50 II that shows the dash I have. You may have to squint.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/moto%20guzzi/moto_guzzi_v50%20ii%2079.htm

So maybe a search for a V50 II dash would turn one up.
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 06:05:19 AM »
If the High Beam light is too bright add a resistor in series, try a 47K Ohm and you might have to go as high as 100K Ohm.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
I just noticed that mg cycle has the dash that I pictured earlier with the additional warning lights but the same basic style as the T3 (in addition to the original version as posted earlier):

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=276&products_id=4480
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here