Author Topic: still in love? V85tt  (Read 4900 times)

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
still in love? V85tt
« on: June 24, 2021, 10:16:18 AM »
 Appx. 2 years ago, I bought one of the first V85TT's available, serial number 53.  Today, I will reach 15,000 miles on my ride home.  Am I still in love?

Mechanically:
Almost immediately, I have a complaint about the bike and that was vibration through the handlebars.  It turned out that MG bought a batch of out of round Anekees and this was promptly cured by a new front tire under warranty.  After that, one very minor issue with the right side exhaust cover that vibrated enough to shear the metal off leaving a hole.  I solved that myself with a washer holding the piece down and some lock-tite.  Other than these 2 minor issues with the tire not even being the fault of the bike, it has been totally clear sailing mechanically.

Modifications:
This bike has needed nothing really and the only mods have been for comfort and convenience.  Cal-Sci tall shield for cold weather riding. Deflector for stock and large shield carried over from previous bikes. Sheepskin, not absolutely needed, but nice.  Cat eliminator pipe. Center stand. This is a very short list compared to most bikes I have owned.

Running:

Mileage has been constant at around 50 mpg on average.  Driveability improved with the cat eliminator with more acceleration from as low as 2500 rpm and a willingness to rev harder at the high end of the dial with a little more sound and a lot less heat on the shins and feet.  I always felt the bike had the right amount of power, it just feels more useable now.  The bike has always started quickly and settled into a smooth idle around 1100 rpm.  It always drives away without stumble.  It may be smoother now, but it would have been very gradual. In contrast, on my 1400, the smoothing was  very noticeable.  The bike is always smooth and well behaved. 

Maint:

The shop did the initial service at 900 miles and I have done the 6,000 and 12,000.  Valves did not really need any adjustment after the initial service.  The oil level was just a little below half at oil change time and except for being dark looked like it could go right back in.  No plugs or air filter yet. As simple as an old BMW airhead to service.  My first set of tires lasted a little over 9,000 miles, might have gone 10,000, but I am conservative about tire changing.  Now with the center stand, I will save myself a lot of money at tire change time.

Overall:

This is still one of the most fun to ride bikes I have had and the practicality cannot be denied.  With the luggage and a dry sack, I could pack for a 2 week trip if I ate out.  I think the suspension suits me better now with some miles on it.  I weigh 200 and at first it felt a little stiff, now it is good and with about 50 lbs of luggage, it is excellent.  It is not the best interstate cruiser because it is light and you sit up high, but it is very acceptable.  One of my past bikes was a BMW K1200RS which was one of the best interstate cruisers every built, so competition from my past is very hard to beat. The V85 is happiest on backroads with sweeping turns (like every other Guzzi).  Between 30 and 90 mph, it is a blast to ride with just the right amount of torque to pull you through the turns and enough engine braking that you barely have to think about braking with the lever or pedal. 

Still in Love:

I would say yes, I can't think of any other bike I would prefer at this moment or one that does more of the things I like to do with a bike. 

Finally:

The compliments per gas stop are off the charts from any previous bike.  People just walk over as if drawn by a magnet and always want to ask about it.  So, if you are an introvert, don't buy this bike.
Blue Guzz

Online Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
Re: still in love? V85tt
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 10:56:52 AM »
Thanks for the review  :thumb:
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 11:11:10 AM »
 Being truly happy with ones bike.
PRICELESS.
CONGRATS!!!
It took a Guzzi to get me back to that point.
..and nice little write-up. :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »
Yes! Bought the bike this year and only have about 1/10th your mileage. Glad to hear about your ease of ownership - hopefully I'll share your experience.

I also added a CalSci Large for the highway and will be chopping my OEM screen to eliminate the helmet buffeting. Using a low comfort saddle with is arguably the most comfortable OEM saddle I've had. Considering a sheepskin for 'butt burner' length rides.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
Thanks. You have further increased my desire to sell the Bobber Sport (the most fun to ride bikes I have had) and get a V85. The Bobber Sport had been great and more fun to ride than I had expected. If I could figure out a way ro increase the luggage capacity I would most likely keep it. The small tail bag is full with a tire plug kit and slime pump with a few things that may help get home if it ever has a roadside problem. Never had any problems with it and no reason to expect any to happen. But if I go on a day ride and need a jacket in the AM and want to remove the liner after it warms.....no place to put it. Great bike but somehow my wants have changed and I seem to "need" a V85.  :evil:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
Let me offer a little amplification in regard to the interstate ride.  In no way is it unstable or unsafe feeling.  For me, there is plenty of power to cruise at 80mph or to pass.  It's only when you compare it to a dedicated sport tourer that weighs at least 100lbs more, has body work and is lower to the ground does it pale in comparison.  One technique is simply to get in the right lane, set the cruise for 70 mph and let everyone pass you.  Much more relaxing than playing cat and mouse with the big rigs and distracted cage drivers.
Blue Guzz

Offline hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »
You summed it up pretty much.After I lowered my seat is when my TT really clicked with me. If anyone who put a Y pipe on and want to sell their cat,I'm interested in buying one

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 01:20:49 PM »
You summed it up pretty much.After I lowered my seat is when my TT really clicked with me. If anyone who put a Y pipe on and want to sell their cat,I'm interested in buying one

Where are you located? The Cat is big and heavy - will be expensive to ship...
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
Send you a PM

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 05:15:38 PM »
Still the nicest bridesmaid I’ve ever had...

So...Yes, she knows I really like her even though my Norge is #1

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »

Considering a sheepskin for 'butt burner' length rides.

The sheepskin transformed the comfort of my B750 Breva.

Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 08:33:44 PM »
I also bought mine early on, September 2019, serial #33.  My first adventure bike.  Traded in my 1400 Touring.  Circumstances and another Guzzi I love to ride have kept the mileage to about 6,000 so far.  Mods to date have been the tubeless Alpina rims, red body work, a Y-pipe, center stand, and recent removal of the hump from the seat has me rethinking getting a custom seat and instead just having it recovered to fill in the divot it left.  I’ve been through several windshield iterations and have settled on the Madstad.  I don’t think there is much left to do as it seems to hum along just fine at any speed with fueling that seems flawless, other than a brief erratic idle on cold start and the suspension works for me.  No appreciable oil use after the first service.  No mechanical issues at all.  This is the snappy Italian blazer to go with the California SS comfortable shoe.

2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Phil/TX

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 08:38:18 PM »
You summed it up, I have just 1600 miles on mine, and simply love it. I currently have a great collection of bikes, but any time I leave the neighborhood it’s my choice. Due to my wife’s health I can no longer take long rides, however those Sunday morning rides 150 miles, are just great, but better on the V 85 TT.

"You will seldom regret what you have done, but you will always regret what you have not"
2014 V7 Special
20 Guzzi V85TT Coast Guard (super chicken)
23 V100 S Mandello ( wing man)
1973 Puch 175 Enduro
2003 BMW R 1150 RS
1972 R75/5 with sidecar

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 09:17:34 PM »
Thanks. You have further increased my desire to sell the Bobber Sport (the most fun to ride bikes I have had) and get a V85. The Bobber Sport had been great and more fun to ride than I had expected. If I could figure out a way ro increase the luggage capacity I would most likely keep it. The small tail bag is full with a tire plug kit and slime pump with a few things that may help get home if it ever has a roadside problem. Never had any problems with it and no reason to expect any to happen. But if I go on a day ride and need a jacket in the AM and want to remove the liner after it warms.....no place to put it. Great bike but somehow my wants have changed and I seem to "need" a V85.  :evil:

If you want and v85, great, go get one!  But come on, add a set of H&B c-bow bag mounts and you super easily add 46L of carrying capacity with very little in the way of ugly.   Don't blame the bike, for your wondering eye!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:36:01 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 09:28:28 PM »
always forget to mention the "humpectomy".  removed that right away getting much more sliding room.
Blue Guzz

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 09:54:42 PM »
always forget to mention the "humpectomy".  removed that right away getting much more sliding room.

I find the 'hump' offers a surprising amount of lumbar support which really helps my lower back. Multi-hour rides are not a problem with it in place.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 09:56:36 PM »
Forgot to mention I'm still drawn to the looks of the V85TT. Here's a couple pictures of mine from the NH rally

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:07:58 PM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 10:07:41 PM »
I used a sheepskin for a long-ish trip recently.  Don't expect it to transform the bike into a long-distance couch.  The V85 was pretty comfortable, but any bike after enough hours will be torturous.  My limit was 10.  The next 4 were less than fun.  Use a cover for awhile, then take it off to give yourself some variety. 
I also run a CalSci large shield like some others do-  it provides very good protection and I am totally satisfied with it (I'm 5'10", 32" inseam- very average).  The bike pushes down the highway at an indicated 80mph very well.  My GPS says that is actually 75mph.  Any faster and the noise and turbulence really starts to build up and the gas mileage drops quickly.
Maintenance has been...a breeze.  I love Guzzi's for this.
This bike is close- so close- to being a bike I could say that I'll keep forever.  But...it isn't.  It is a small block motor and is fundamentally different than the big blocks.  I have an 850 El Dorado for comparison.   like the small block for it's well-mannered characteristics, but it is too close to beemer-like for my tastes. Too smooth, too linear.   I'll keep this bike for awhile, then try something else. 
Maybe it is just me.  I've been married forever (happily), but I like to shop around on bikes. :boozing:
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 02:25:54 AM »
If you want and v85, great, go get one!  But come on, add a set of H&B c-bow bag mounts and you super easily add 46L of carrying capacity with very little in the way of ugly.   Don't blame the bike, for your wondering eye!
Jeez Chad you’d make a great wife, you just can’t stand to see him enjoy himself..
He was just wondering, hence the wondering eye that you mention at the end of your post.
Now of course if he had a wandering eye, well that would be a completely different thing... :wink:

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 04:42:51 AM »
Let's ask The Mad Hatter!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 05:46:16 AM »
"to hump, or not to hump, that is the question" 
Blue Guzz

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2021, 06:07:02 AM »
>SNIP<   I'll keep this bike for awhile, then try something else. 
Maybe it is just me.  I've been married forever (happily), but I like to shop around on bikes. :boozing:

My lovely and understanding wife of 40 years called me a "motorcycle polygamist" when I had a few bikes in the stable. Last 15 years it's only been one at a time. I guess that makes me a 'serial monogamist'...
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 07:21:48 AM »
My lovely and understanding wife of 40 years called me a "motorcycle polygamist" when I had a few bikes in the stable. Last 15 years it's only been one at a time. I guess that makes me a 'serial monogamist'...
Yep, I'm on that spectrum.  I have several bikes, but one is usually my main ride. I like to change up the main bike every once in a while...5-10 years.  There are just so many good bikes out there, and my wife is so accommodating! 
I like the V85- I have no big complaints about it and I have many compliments. It is a solid, good looking, dependable machine.  But, I don't think it rises to the love or lust that I had for, say, my V11 sport or my Ducati Multistrada. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »

I looked at the C-bow but they do not list the Bobber Sport and I can only think it is due to the shock resivour. So without the luggage I then notice other things that do not quite fit my "needs" (desires) and another bike looks just so much more appealing. Maybe I should stop reading this forum and other bike related site as I am easily influenced.  :evil:

I (like others have mentioned) have managed to keep the same wife while trading bikes every year or so. Cheaper, easier and much harder to find a suitable replacement that could tolerate me.  :laugh: Enough similar replies to almost justify a thread of it's own......

Another thing in the back of my mind is that at 63 (64 soon) I know there will be a day in the future when I will not be able to ride. So I want to indulge myself in different bikes while I still can. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »
Very reasonable reply Caffeineo, I’ll accept your desire to move on, you have my blessing.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »
Appx. 2 years ago, I bought one of the first V85TT's available, serial number 53.  Today, I will reach 15,000 miles on my ride home.  Am I still in love?

Maint:

The shop did the initial service at 900 miles and I have done the 6,000 and 12,000.  Valves did not really need any adjustment after the initial service.  The oil level was just a little below half at oil change time and except for being dark looked like it could go right back in.  No plugs or air filter yet. As simple as an old BMW airhead to service.  My first set of tires lasted a little over 9,000 miles, might have gone 10,000, but I am conservative about tire changing.  Now with the center stand, I will save myself a lot of money at tire change time.

Nice review. About the oil, do you mean the level was down to halfway between full and one liter down, as opposed to half the total volume of oil?

Offline Cranky Inline

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2022, 11:47:18 AM »
I am a new member and this is my first post. Thanks for the review and all the comments. I recently bought a V85tt new. It just had it's 900 mile service. I am just settling into the bike and loan payments so I appreciate the positive review of reliability. 

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2022, 01:09:26 PM »

I feel the same way about my T7. I'll be riding it in the Rockies nxt week. Can't wait! I can't stop anywhere without someone asking "what in the hell is it?"  :grin:  Dual sports are THE BEST!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:09:59 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2022, 02:23:13 PM »
I am considering my V85TT an all roads Sport Touring bike.  I will go down gravel and dry dirt roads, but leave the jeep trails to lighter bikes.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2022, 04:19:16 PM »
update:  she is at 22,5oo miles now.  no problems to report.  Did plugs and airfilter at 18,000 at home.  On 3rd set of tires that went on about 18,000, but I did pick up a screw in the rear just before I was ready to change the tires so did that one a little early.
This spring, I did think I wanted to lower it, but Enzo at Cadre adjusted the rear suspension for me and it rides better than ever.  Taking a longish ride this weekend.
Still happy with her.  Nothing else out there I would want to replace it with.  Might get a companion bike to go with it for puttering around.
Blue Guzz

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here