Author Topic: $2,200 Bassa...  (Read 1001 times)

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
$2,200 Bassa...
« on: August 08, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re: $2,200 Bassa...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
I wonder if that's the correct mileage. It looks to be in very good shape for 100K--i.e., some of the fake chrome (sidecovers) and turn signals should have been gone by now. I can't tell for certain, but it looks as though the normally shiny rh valve cover has been replaced.

Rich A

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
No...it says Odo Broken. Typical of Guzzi gauges from that period...

SR

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 12:36:24 PM »

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 12:36:24 PM »

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 02:31:14 PM »
This is a pretty desirable model.  Tubeless spokes, pegs instead of floorboards.  I’d be tempted if it were closer.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »
It looks very good for 100.000 miles but the owner has no incentive to fib about that, I'm sure its good value.
It probably has one of the old P8 ECUs, not that there is anything wrong with that, they just take up too much room.
I would purchase a Speedhut gauge configured to match the original and drive it from a pulse input.
How could you go wrong at $2,200, a great fly and ride, phone the guy and see what other info you can get.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:05:03 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 04:07:14 PM »
One of the early versions of the modern era California Guzzi motorcycles was the 1999 model named the V11 Bassa. The Moto Guzzi Bassa was a step up from the V11 Jackal, and had a retail price of $11,290 in the US market. That was still a bit pricey for motorcycles in the US in 1999; however, the California Guzzi has pretty much always been a higher-end motorcycle. Actually, the 1999 Bassa was priced $100 less than Guzzi’s 75th anniversary edition of the 1996 California 1100i.

Some of the main features of the Bassa were electronic fuel injection, adjustable front and rear suspension, linked braking system consisting of dual front discs and single rear disc. The ever-famous 1100 v-twin (V11), 1064cc actual, was a transverse 90 degree air-cooled beauty based on the smaller V7 engine design Moto Guzzi introduced around 1967. This same engine had been proven increasingly reliable over the years and is thankfully still in production today. The Bassa’s horsepower and torque were considerable for it’s 545 pounds (dry) weight with 77 hp and 70 lbs-ft respectively.

The Moto Guzzi Bassa color options for 1999 included Pearlescent White Metallic, Blue with Silver, Brown with Champagne, and Black. Personally, I’m a fan of the blue with silver version.

Moto Guzzi replaced the Bassa in 2001 with the California Special, but even with it’s short few years of existence, the Bassa name continues to hold a special place in the history and evolution of the Guzzi California.

From Moto Guzzi California group...

Offline kindoy2

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 10:31:01 PM »
The guy is a very nice older guy, straight forward and no BS. Not a Beginner. I spoke to him about a month ago when it was down to  $3,500...He started at $4,200!
He has already purchased a newer BMW so he just needs the room ...and hates to see it just sit...it has always been his commuter bike.
He said it is the correct mileage, he has had it since new and does all his own servicing, he put a clutch in it himself a few years ago. I would have bought it but something else came up..then the ad was gone so I bought another Bassa like it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:44:18 AM by kindoy2 »
1999  Bassa, 2002 Scura, 2022 Ducati Supersport 950S
Previously..2000 V11 Greenie sport, 2001 Rosso Mandello, 2003 Rosso Corsa...and about 100 other mostly Italian money pits...

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 10:52:38 PM »
IMHO, the Bassa was the best of the best of the California series. Too bad it only lasted for two model years, 1999 and 2000. I say best of the best because it had the spoked but tubeless wheels, adjustable forks, fork drain holes on the bottom and fill holes on the top of each fork leg and the upgraded and smaller ECU which didn’t hinder the seat comfort.

I thought the side covers, the rear fender and the rear tail light were also the best of any California. The rear fender and tail light were so good, the EV adapted them as well. Agostini made a fantastic injector cover that beautifully blended the Basaa side cover chrome trim to the head. Without the Agostini injector covers, the side cover to head aesthetics just didn’t flow that well.

The overall styling of the Bassa corrected much of the goofy aesthetics (tail light/chrome side panels etc) of the original EV. The same as what the Eldorado 1400 did for the original styling of the CA Touring 1400. Though Piaggio really didn’t support the 1400 line much.

But Moto Guzzi did support the Bassa with an EV style rear passenger backrest with a built in luggage rack. They also offered several windshields for it as well as the Swiss made leather saddlebags that are pictured on the black Bassa in the link above. The Jackal, Stone and California Special lost nearly all the high level attributes that made the Bassa so nice.

On both my 1999 Black Bassa and the 2000 Blue/Silver Bassa I swapped the footpeg subframes for the EV floorboard subframes. I also used the V10 Centauro handlebar and risers, the Agostini injection covers and I had the valve covers chromed.along with a few other accessories.  I gladly rode well over 100K miles between those two Bassas.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:03:25 AM by TN Mark »

Offline SteveRivet

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
IMHO, the Bassa was the best of the best of the California series. Too bad it only lasted for two model years, 1999 and 2000. I say best of the best because it had the spoked but tubeless wheels, adjustable forks, fork drain holes on the bottom and fill holes on the top of each fork leg and the upgraded and smaller ECU which didn’t hinder the seat comfort.

I thought the side covers, the rear fender and the rear tail light were also the best of any California. The rear fender and tail light were so good, the EV adapted them as well. Agostini made a fantastic injector cover that beautifully blended the Basaa side cover chrome trim to the head. Without the Agostini injector covers, the side cover to head aesthetics just didn’t flow that well.

The overall styling of the Bassa corrected much of the goofy aesthetics (tail light/chrome side panels etc) of the original EV. The same as what the Eldorado 1400 did for the original styling of the CA Touring 1400. Though Piaggio really didn’t support the 1400 line much.

But Moto Guzzi did support the Bassa with an EV style rear passenger backrest with a built in luggage rack. They also offered several windshields for it as well as the Swiss made leather saddlebags that are pictured on the black Bassa in the link above. The Jackal, Stone and California Special lost nearly all the high level attributes that made the Bassa so nice.

On both my 1999 Black Bassa and the 2000 Blue/Silver Bassa I swapped the footpeg subframes for the EV floorboard subframes. I also used the V10 Centauro handlebar and risers, the Agostini injection covers and I had the valve covers chromed.along with a few other accessories.  I gladly rode well over 100K miles between those two Bassas.   

I agree.  I had one for 13 years and loved it.  The 99's and maybe some of the 2K's had the upgraded forks and wheels, and the handlebars worked for me better than the conventional EV.  Only thing I would have liked was an inch or two more of legroom, and 20% more power.

Steve
2014 R1200GS

Previously:  1999 Bassa, 1972 Eldorado, 1986 Lemans IV, 2008 1200 Sport, 2011 Stelvio

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here