Author Topic: Can these issues all be tied to fuel?  (Read 814 times)

Offline raulnor

• New Egg
Can these issues all be tied to fuel?
« on: June 22, 2022, 09:28:20 AM »
Hey there. So yesterday I filled up my Stornello with Shell 89 octane, about 4.5 gallons, the rest in the tank was Phillips 93 that was a couple weeks old. This morning when I went out to ride, I noticed a few issues.

1. Both when the bike was cold and after warming it up/riding, when I pulled the clutch in at a stop the engine would stumble between 1k-1500 RPM and nearly stall. It would fix itself after 4-5 seconds of this and return to steady idle at 1800 RPM, but it's concerning that it happened EVERY time I came to a stop with the engine at idle.

2. The traction control and ABS lights were randomly lighting up and blinking while going down the road at a steady speed. The speedometer dropped all the way to 0 and back up a few times also, and the tach seemed to bounce around more than normal also.

Could these be fuel octane issues, or do I need to start looking at other problems? I put a beetle map on it 2 weeks ago and it's been running perfectly until I put this new fuel in it. But I've also seen posts of people's battery connections coming loose which causes similar issues, but those are normally just linked to the dash or ignition problems?

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Can these issues all be tied to fuel?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 09:39:02 AM »
From my experiences, I don’t think bad fuel would be causing your ABS, MGCT, and gauges to act wonky. This reads as electrical to me.

Are all your lights working correctly—tail, brake, turn signals? Possibly a bad brake switch?

Are all your fuses good? A shot 20A fuse will cause all the gauges and ABS to peace out.

Did you recently change tires? If so, have you done the traction control reset?

Are your ABS sensors and sensor disc bolts/screws properly tightened?

Last but CERTAINLY not least—are your battery terminals properly tightened? Battery running well?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:39:53 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline raulnor

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 09:42:04 AM »
Lights all seemed fine before i headed out this morning, but I'll check them again before I leave. I'll be able to check the fuses and battery connections before I ride it again, and the tires did get changed at the dealership before I purchased the bike. Do you have a link to directions on how to reset TC? It's just strange that it's been fine for the past 3 weeks of riding, and today is when all the issues decide to rise up lol.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 09:51:56 AM »
Do you have a link to directions on how to reset TC?

It’s in your manual :)

If it was recently serviced, I’m betting it’s the battery connections. But there’s a reason I don’t gamble.

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 09:51:56 AM »

Offline raulnor

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 09:57:05 AM »
Unfortunately, the manual was not provided with the bike, and I can't find the Stornello manual anywhere online except GTM, which they want to force me into a subscription to access.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:02:27 AM by raulnor »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »
Unfortunately, the manual was not provided with the bike, and I can't find the Stornello manual anywhere online except GTM, which they want to force me into a subscription to access.

What about requesting one from Guzzi?

http://manuals.motoguzzi.com/

In the meantime, the other V7 II owners manuals should suffice enough, which you can find on Cadre Cycles and I THINK Greg’s This Old Tractor site. Besides the mapping and 2-1 exhaust, there’s not much difference between the model variants.

Offline SSGG Geezer

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 10:17:59 AM »
Cadre Cycle has many models service and owner's manuals on line on their site for download.
Here is the link to the site.https://cadrecycle.com/moto-guzzi-owners-manuals-2/

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 10:21:59 AM »
Cadre Cycle has many models service and owner's manuals on line on their site for download.
Here is the link to the site.https://cadrecycle.com/moto-guzzi-owners-manuals-2/

Except, they don’t have the V7 II Stornello’s manual. But they do have the V7 II Stone/Special/Racer manual. I’m surprised the Stornello isn’t included, unless the Stornie was a late add-on to the II lineup.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 10:24:44 AM »
Definitely not a fuel issue. Most likely an intermittent electrical connection. As well as the battery, check the ground connections. I'm not familiar with this particular bike, but there may be more than one ground wire bolted to the transmission. Might as well reseat all the fuses too. 

Offline raulnor

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 10:25:40 AM »
What about requesting one from Guzzi?

http://manuals.motoguzzi.com/

Says that the VIN is associated with someone else and to go to Customer Care, then the customer care gives no way to actually open a trouble ticket with them. So this'll be a fun process to figure out. I'll get a normal V7II manual for now then and keep working on this, thanks for the link!

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 11:44:36 AM »
Also, I would load test the battery.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline raulnor

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »
Problem solved! The negative connection on the battery was just loose enough that the contact was intermittent as the bike vibrated (idle issues) or bounced on the pavement (dash issues). Tightened it down and it's running smooth again. Thanks all!

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 01:30:45 PM »
Always a relief when it’s something simple :)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 01:51:59 PM »
Says that the VIN is associated with someone else and to go to Customer Care, then the customer care gives no way to actually open a trouble ticket with them. So this'll be a fun process to figure out. I'll get a normal V7II manual for now then and keep working on this, thanks for the link!

One way around this might be the Moro Guzzi App for the optional bluetooth link to the bike for some models. I never bought the hardware for the link, but I downloaded the app on my last phone and through the app you could download whatever owner's manuals you wanted, it didn't have to be attached to a VIN.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:52:25 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline raulnor

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 02:44:43 PM »
One way around this might be the Moro Guzzi App for the optional bluetooth link to the bike for some models. I never bought the hardware for the link, but I downloaded the app on my last phone and through the app you could download whatever owner's manuals you wanted, it didn't have to be attached to a VIN.

I'll give that a shot, thanks for the tip!

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
I have had this off throttle stalling issue with my Stornello . On mine it happened after long downhill decent  on steep 4 WD  track. Never found the cause not fuel or oil in air box.The fix was doing a Guzzidiag relearn throttle and auto relearn parameters . Stalling gone back to normal. Also I have had this problem with and without beetle map . I would definitely do another throttle relearn etc with Guzzidiag see if that works .
Duncan

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 06:02:03 PM »
Problem solved! The negative connection on the battery was just loose enough that the contact was intermittent as the bike vibrated (idle issues) or bounced on the pavement (dash issues). Tightened it down and it's running smooth again. Thanks all!
Really, the battery terminal was loose, well that's one for the books. These tricky problems can be hard to find sometimes. Glad you got it sorted.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 06:47:35 AM »
 :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here