Author Topic: Help me understand if I'm being CL scammed  (Read 2827 times)

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
Help me understand if I'm being CL scammed
« on: September 14, 2021, 07:35:00 PM »
I put a bike up for sale (the Honda) on CL and within a few hours have a buyer willing to pay asking price sight unseen (except for CL ad pics). Bike is priced fairly..but not a blue light special. Payment is by check (which I prefer). Buyer email addresses don't look spammy. Other than making damn sure the bank agrees the check is good...am I missing something that I'll regret later? This is going way more easily than I expected....which makes me nervous!!
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
Re: Help me understand if I'm being CL scammed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 07:43:09 PM »
I’d say ask your bank how long it takes for check to actually clear not how long it takes to show in your account ( may take several days). The bank can verify the funds but still proceed with caution. I did this with a j 10 Jeep I owned went ok but made me nervous. Everything went well. Also see if they are willing to talk on the phone as not being willing to can be a bad sign. Ultimately if they want the bike they can show up with cash and put down a deposit. JMO
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:45:31 PM by Beowulf »

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:09:42 PM »
Run you are being scammed, next they will tell you that they will send a truck before your check clears and after the bike is gone your bank will tell you the check is no good, my bank takes 2 to 4 weeks to clear, ask for their check numbers so your bank can check it out. The only ones I deal with is on this forum after we have talked a bit. YMMV, keep your insurance up to date after the sell just in case  :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 08:19:31 PM »
I never accept a check payment, especially on a Craigslist vehicle sale. Too many scams being done this way. Just google (check payment scams on craigslist).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:21:34 PM by zebraranger »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 08:19:31 PM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »
Cash in hand is the only way I will sell a motorcycle or any other vehicle. If they bring a certificate bank check, good, follow me to the bank and when I’ve got cash in my hand they get the title. Anything else is a roll of the dice. GMHO
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 07:40:07 AM by Ncdan »

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 08:36:18 PM »
It doesn’t take two to four weeks for a check to clear, unless you’re talking about a check written on a non-U.S. bank. In that case, your bank will need to send the check to the other bank for collection, which if overseas could indeed take that long, if not longer.

I’d accept the check and take it to the buyer’s bank and cash it there. If that’s not possible, tell him you won’t release the bike or the title for a week. Or just insist he pay in cash or by wire transfer if he wants the bike sooner.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 08:42:34 PM »
I agree with the phone conversation, and the check clearing.

I would never agree to buy a bike without at least "Contingent on inspection and successful test ride."

Be watchful for changing stories, etc.  Not sure how much you are selling it for, but buyers can also be warry of carrying cash that can be robbed from them.

You could tell them cash and meet at your bank. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 08:50:05 PM »
One simple way around the distance vs cash in hand is to go to Walmart and do a moneygram or gift card.   They can't back out of that or fake it.  If they're honest, it shouldn't be an issue. btdt.   If they balk, move on...

I've found that lately- more on FB MP than c/l but becoming more common on c/l- is the first person with money in the seller's hand gets it.  First in line means nothing to greedy people, even when they agree to do the transaction with you.  All they want to hear is "I want it- here's the money."    No questions, No agreed-to meeting time to pick up, nothing.  Pay them first and maybe offer them a few more dollars to sweeten the pot and you win.  Not only do you get screwed out of an item, it complicates the scammer scene.

Just get real money in hand, moneygram, well cleared by bank, etc before the item leaves your control.  The scammers use Walmart gift cards because the money is much more likely to stay in their possession...
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 08:52:38 PM »
Whats wrong with direct deposit to your account? Cheques are always iffy.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 08:54:22 PM »
Yes, it’s highly likely you’re being scammed. Watch for them to send you a check above the purchase price so you can give them back the cash difference. Run don’t walk from this “buyer“ unless they pay face to face with cash, at your bank. That way your bank can verify the cash is legit. Or if they pay you with PayPal. If they won’t do either, they’re scammers. Unfortunately, CL is riddled with scammers and it’s often bogus.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 08:56:19 PM »
Run you are being scammed, next they will tell you that they will send a truck before your check clears and after the bike is gone your bank will tell you the check is no good, my bank takes 2 to 4 weeks to clear, ask for their check numbers so your bank can check it out. The only ones I deal with is on this forum after we have talked a bit. YMMV, keep your insurance up to date after the sell just in case  :boozing:

Agreed....***SCAM*** Run...and don't look back!!
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 09:35:17 PM »
Direct deposits to your bank account (via ACH transfer) can be rescinded and recalled by the issuer or the issuer’s bank, with limitation. Wire transfers provide payment finality.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 10:02:06 PM »
Classic scam. Just reply that you will accept only cash and you won't hear from them again. Sorry to say.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 10:16:56 PM »
A real buyer will have questions about the bike. Tell them to call you. They won’t. Also require a bank wire transfer in or cash.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »
If local and a large sum, a Cashiers check can be cashed in a day at the checks origin. Otherwise cash in hand. Item leaves when cash is in hand. 

Offline SteveRivet

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 08:37:07 AM »
I put a bike up for sale (the Honda) on CL and within a few hours have a buyer willing to pay asking price sight unseen (except for CL ad pics). Bike is priced fairly..but not a blue light special. Payment is by check (which I prefer). Buyer email addresses don't look spammy. Other than making damn sure the bank agrees the check is good...am I missing something that I'll regret later? This is going way more easily than I expected....which makes me nervous!!

99.5% chance it's a scam.  If you want to cover all the bases you can ask the guy a couple things about what he likes about the bike;  you'll almost certainly get some extremely generic response that indicates the buyer doesn't even know motorcycles have two wheels. 

-Steve
2014 R1200GS

Previously:  1999 Bassa, 1972 Eldorado, 1986 Lemans IV, 2008 1200 Sport, 2011 Stelvio

Online inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »
What they said.
Cash is king.
Heck even a wire transfer can be rescinded after the fact.
Offer to meet up at the local police station, that clears out the chaff.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline D Knaus

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 08:56:31 AM »
I am buying a bike from an implement dealer who also handles bikes. (so he can sell the 4-wheelers and side by sides.)  I will make a wire transfer from my bank to his.  Easy and sure.  He said it takes up to 4 weeks for a check to clear nowadays.

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »
Don't. Do. It.

Anybody with real money to spend is going to want kick some tires first.
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »
Agreed, the atypical online scam.

The last time I ran across one of these, I had contacted a CL listing for a boat. Seller wanted me to send a money order for payment, and he would ship the 17’ sailboat, right to my house. He would cover all shipping cost.

I told him that my nephew, a state Leo, lived just a few miles from his town, and he will check out the condition of the boat, and make a cash payment for it. He ignored my email, again insisting that I send a check ASAP. Never heard from him again.

Here is a typical CL scam. This is posted on multiple craigslist sites throughout the country.The images were stolen from a EBay listing.

https://delaware.craigslist.org/mpo/d/wilmington-1991-honda-vfr-bike/7367866573.html
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:38:09 PM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
Get them to send you the cash via Western Union. Since they are offering full price (and assuming you had a little bit of flexibility in your asking price) offer to cover the cost of the Western Union process (probably cost you $30 to $50 or so) keeping their net cost the same.  You will get the cash in your hands within a few hours and Western Union has outlets all over the place.

I've sold many wristwatches to people using this method.

Online dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 07:54:56 PM »
     I'l gladly pay you on Tuesday, for a hamburger today....
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 09:16:07 PM »
Cashier's Check via Registered Mail?

Justsp it ballin.....
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:19 PM »
Agreed, the atypical online scam.

The last time I ran across one of these, I had contacted a CL listing for a boat. Seller wanted me to send a money order for payment, and he would ship the 17’ sailboat, right to my house. He would cover all shipping cost.

I told him that my nephew, a state Leo, lived just a few miles from his town, and he will check out the condition of the boat, and make a cash payment for it. He ignored my email, again insisting that I send a check ASAP. Never heard from him again.

Here is a typical CL scam. This is posted on multiple craigslist sites throughout the country.The images were stolen from a EBay listing.

https://delaware.craigslist.org/mpo/d/wilmington-1991-honda-vfr-bike/7367866573.html

Around here crazy priced cargo trailers are the big scam.  They are focused on the new immigrants needing an enclosed trailer for their work tools. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 11:01:21 PM »
Stop payments can be made on cashier's checks.  I also don't like people coming to my house, casing it for what they may want to steal later, so if you are paying cash we meet at my bank, if you are paying by check we meet at your bank.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 07:46:08 AM »
Stop payments can be made on cashier's checks.  I also don't like people coming to my house, casing it for what they may want to steal later, so if you are paying cash we meet at my bank, if you are paying by check we meet at your bank.

So, you are willing to come 5 hours to my bank?  If so, you might as well bring the bike with you.   :bike-037:

Most used bikes I have bought have been up to 5 hours away from me.  I always have the cash hidden in my vehicle until I see the bike and the title are all in order and match the person's drivers license.  These have all been $4000 and under purchases though. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »
My Van Van purchase was interesting.  I saw the add on Craigslist up in Indiana.  Contacted the seller who hadn't cleared the title yet. 

He was coming my way for business so we decided that he would bring me the bike and a bill of sale and I would pay him half the money.  He demonstrated that it was his bike by showing me his drivers license and registration.

Then when he mailed me the Title and I was able to successfully transfer it to my name, I paypal'd him the rest of the funds "friends and family".

So, we had mutual trust / distrust involved in the transaction.  We met at my house so he could see I was legit.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 08:34:57 AM »
My Van Van purchase was interesting.  I saw the add on Craigslist up in Indiana.  Contacted the seller who hadn't cleared the title yet. 

He was coming my way for business so we decided that he would bring me the bike and a bill of sale and I would pay him half the money.  He demonstrated that it was his bike by showing me his drivers license and registration.

Then when he mailed me the Title and I was able to successfully transfer it to my name, I paypal'd him the rest of the funds "friends and family".

So, we had mutual trust / distrust involved in the transaction.  We met at my house so he could see I was legit.
This is an example of probably the best scenario in which to purchase a used vehicle/bike from an individual.
I will not do any business dealings using texted communications, my first requirement is the seller MUST TALK TO ME BY PHONE FIRST, then the dealing can begin.

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 08:39:03 AM »
Dan,

Very much agree with your sentiment, however the trust/ relationship factor that twowheeladdict describes, is pretty rare today. In my experience, sellers and buyers are too impatient these days to invest time in a transaction. Just my 2 cents.

This is an example of probably the best scenario in which to purchase a used vehicle/bike from an individual.
I will not do any business dealings using texted communications, my first requirement is the seller MUST TALK TO ME BY PHONE FIRST, then the dealing can begin.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2021, 09:11:34 AM »
Dan,

Very much agree with your sentiment, however the trust/ relationship factor that twowheeladdict describes, is pretty rare today. In my experience, sellers and buyers are too impatient these days to invest time in a transaction. Just my 2 cents.

Then they just need to be trading bikes in, and buying from dealers. 

When buying a used bike, how do you know it is being honestly represented if you don't ask questions, feel out the seller, and then decide if it is worth the trip to go look at?

And conversely, when selling, feel out the buyer to determine if he is just a test rider or a serious buyer.  I personally don't allow test rides without money in hand.  That weeds out most of the tire kickers, but doesn't guarantee a sale.  I've ridden a few that were total disappointments. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here