Author Topic: Dry vs Wet Clutch?  (Read 14170 times)

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
Dry vs Wet Clutch?
« on: November 25, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »
I have placed a down payment on a 2016 V7-II Stone that should arrive near the end of December or early January but I have some questions regarding how to drive the bike when it arrives.
    - my previous bikes have all had wet clutches.  Standard practice with a wet clutch (at least for me) is to intentionally let it slip when driving slowly and to leave the bike in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged, my left foot on the ground and my right foot on the rear brake pedal while waiting at a stop light, even if waiting for several minutes.  No problem with a wet clutch but will this be hard on a dry clutch?  Do you guys leave the bike in neutral with your right foot on the ground so you can quickly shift into first when the light changes or do you just hold in the clutch lever?
     - why do they call it a V7 Stone?  We're they "stoned" when they were trying to think of a name or does stone mean something in Italian?  And what does the "7" infer?
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Dry vs Wet Clutch?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »
Do you guys leave the bike in neutral with your right foot on the ground so you can quickly shift into first when the light changes...?

That's what I usually do.  The "7" is a simplification of about 750cc. 

Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:03:08 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
 Stone refers to a non gloss paint , although my buddy's stone is shiny , so yes , maybe they were stoned  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
That's what I usually do.  The "7" is a simplification of about 750cc. 

Welcome to the forum!
Me too
Always to one side of the car in front so I don't end up as meat in a sandwich.

Welcome to the forum, you don't have to be crazy but it helps.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:14:57 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 07:01:59 PM »
Sometimes I get really wild and put TWO feet down.  But I'm crazy like that.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Swordds, Welcome to the group and congrats on getting your V7.

I do not hold the clutch in while waiting for a light.  Any time I stop for more tan a few seconds I put the bike in neutral and release the clutch. The reasoning behind the statement and actions is simple. The clutch release bearing(throw out bearing) is very small and highly loaded. In an area of limited cooling, high loads and little or no lubrication, keeping the pressure on is not good. I know that some will jump up and say they have been holding in the clutch for fifty years, I say, OK. In a wet clutch arrangement at least there is some oil to help lube the bearing, but the bearing is working for no good reason, why do it? If you think cars behind you will run over you forget it you can out run any of them and if you watch the lights you can put the bike into gear a few seconds before the light changes.

Good luck, be safe.
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
The V7 name goes back to earlier, and very successful, small block machines.  Thus the reference is similar to the way the 1400 cc bikes are named California or Le Mans, both are historic Guzzi names.  The bikes are not 700 cc, nor are the new V9 bikes 900 cc.  In fact, the Norge 1200 and Stelvio 1200 are not actually 1200cc...you gotta be flexible.  Have another glass of wine.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
No problem with a wet clutch but will this be hard on a dry clutch? 

Just drive it. There is little difference. Well, wet clutches are easy to damage if you use the wrong lube. Not an issue with a dry clutch.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:34 PM »
To me, the biggest difference is dry clutches are not great for high throttle, high RPM clutch-slipping starts from a dead stop, as in drag racing type starts.  At least it's not good for the longevity of the plates.  Oh, and they have a cool jingly clinky sound when the engine is running and you disengage them.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:40 PM »
Standard practice with a wet clutch (at least for me) is to intentionally let it slip when driving slowly and to leave the bike in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged, my left foot on the ground and my right foot on the rear brake pedal while waiting at a stop light, even if waiting for several minutes.  No problem with a wet clutch but will this be hard on a dry clutch?     
Sorry to burst your bubble, but....YES problem for a wet clutch or any clutch.
You shouldnt sit at a standstill with ANY clutch wet or dry for extended periods of time. All you are doing is glazing up the clutch friction plates,heating up the steel plates and loading up the throwout bearing and gearbox input shaft bearing and on a wet clutch heating up and putting friction material into the oil.
Any time you have the clutch disengaged for anything other than selecting gears or smoothing out the drive while riding slowly in traffic is a negative. Obviously the latter isnt exactly great but its less harmfull than bunny hopping along.
Any clutch is at its happiest when fully engaged.
Ciao

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:04:36 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »
The V7 name goes back to earlier, and very successful, small block machines.  Thus the reference is similar to the way the 1400 cc bikes are named California or Le Mans, both are historic Guzzi names.  The bikes are not 700 cc, nor are the new V9 bikes 900 cc.  In fact, the Norge 1200 and Stelvio 1200 are not actually 1200cc...you gotta be flexible.  Have another glass of wine.

Peter Y.
UMm no, the V7 Sport was a Big Block.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 09:56:47 PM »
The original V7 was a loop frame. 1966.

canuguzzi

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
Way over thought. At a stop light, leaving the bike in gear and the clutch level in isn't going to hurt a darn thing.

Its a clutch. Ride the bike and enjoy it. There is no different way to ride any MG than any other bike. The less time you spend wondering if this or that is different the more fun you'll have.

BTW, welcome.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 10:38:22 PM »

- my previous bikes have all had wet clutches.  Standard practice with a wet clutch (at least for me) is to intentionally let it slip when driving slowly and to leave the bike in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged, my left foot on the ground and my right foot on the rear brake pedal while waiting at a stop light, even if waiting for several minutes. No problem with a wet clutch but will this be hard on a dry clutch?  Do you guys leave the bike in neutral with your right foot on the ground so you can quickly shift into first when the light changes or do you just hold in the clutch lever?

That's the way I ride my dry-clutch Guzzis.

I only go into neutral if it's a reeeaally long wait.  Otherwise, I like to be in gear so I can move ASAP.

My tall-geared Sport 1100 requires slipping the clutch in 1st gear when moving at a walking pace.  I've done it for years with no ill effects.

That being said, the V7 is geared pretty low.  For a Guzzi, anyway.  My V7 Special will idle smoothly around at 1500 rpm in 1st gear.  My sporty Guzzis have never been so forgiving at a walking pace.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:52:07 PM »
The original V7 was a loop frame. 1966.

Wasn't that original loop called a V700 ?

Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »
My V700 had a V7 decal.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:33 AM »
Way over thought. At a stop light, leaving the bike in gear and the clutch level in isn't going to hurt a darn thing.
Hard to argue with that kind of enlightening technical input.
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Vasco DG

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 03:25:58 AM »
Depending on a host of factors damage may be more likely to occur in these sorts of scenarios but at the end of the day it's a clutch, wet or dry, designed to work in an everyday road environment.

While I wouldn't recommend sitting at lights with the clutch pulled in any more than I would recommend, (On bikes that you can do this on.) setting the idle speed as low as it will go because it "Sounds cool!" But at the end of the day unless you're a completely witless fuquetard just make sure your bike is well set up and ride it.

Pete

Offline Ighani

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 04:47:56 AM »
Swordds, I do the same thing at stops. I don't care so much about the clutch's health as I do my health. Being in gear and having both hands on the controls gives me chance to get out of the way quick when I realize the SUV coming up behind me isn't gonna stop in time. And as Kiwi Roy says, leave an escape path when stopped.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 05:27:04 AM »
Swordds, I do the same thing at stops. I don't care so much about the clutch's health as I do my health. Being in gear and having both hands on the controls gives me chance to get out of the way quick when I realize the SUV coming up behind me isn't gonna stop in time. And as Kiwi Roy says, leave an escape path when stopped.

:1:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 05:41:13 AM »
 What I know about wet clutches from racing; A dry clutch can transmit about 30 percent more power without slipping than the same type wet clutch. Clutch slip on modified old Birt bikes is a problem. my racer uses cheap Taiwan clutch plates running in a few ounces a ATF and works better the other guys with fancy wet clutches.   Many bikes have wet clutches because the clutch is contained in the primary drive section with gears or chains needing lubrication.
 On old Brit bikes due to transmission design, the rider will always pull in the clutch and kick the bike over to free the wet clutch plates before starting the engine. I don't sit at traffic lights with by manual shift  vehicles or bikes with the clutch disengaged...But... ..At busy intersections I do leave the bike in gear just in case I need to get out of the way in a hurry...

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 06:56:51 AM »

Dry clutches tend to be used on bikes with the crankshaft in line with the frame (Guzzi and older BMW Boxer twins .... although new water-cooled BMW twins use a multiplate wet clutch mounted on front of engine.) I don't drag race my bikes, or do burn outs, so my dry clutches last a long time.  Unfortunately, what has killed two of my Beemer dry clutches is that they didn't stay dry.  The engine rear main seal failed on both bikes, oil saturated the clutch plate, and the clutch began to slip, requiring replacement.  This of course meant removing the swingarm and transmission to access the clutch .... a rather lengthy job.

This vs a multi plate wet clutch which is (a) designed to be run in oil, and (b) if it fails, is easily accessed (usually) by removing the cover on either the right or left side of the engine.

As long as the dry plate clutch doesn't fail, I'm ok with it.  However, when/if it fails, swingarm and tranny must be removed, access provided by 'crabbing' the frame (at least on newer oilhead Beemers.) Don't know from experience if Guzzi frames can be crabbed.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

redrider

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
I have bikes with both and one with a dry running in an oil lubed primary(Norton with all metal plates, sintered bronze and steel) All of them stay in gear when stopped while watching the rear for idiots. Waiting for the train with traffic stacked up behind and we are in neutral. So the situation constantly changes but the only thing constant is the lack of proper care and adjustment. THAT will greatly affect your clutch. FWIW, I replaced the Mille clutch at 140K. Rear main seal wept and since I was in there...

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »

Don't know from experience if Guzzi frames can be crabbed.

Crabbing a Tonti frame makes ME crabby  :cry:

Dusty

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 10:22:16 AM »
I have placed a down payment on a 2016 V7-II Stone that should arrive near the end of December or early January but I have some questions regarding how to drive the bike when it arrives.
    - my previous bikes have all had wet clutches.  Standard practice with a wet clutch (at least for me) is to intentionally let it slip when driving slowly and to leave the bike in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged, my left foot on the ground and my right foot on the rear brake pedal while waiting at a stop light, even if waiting for several minutes.  No problem with a wet clutch but will this be hard on a dry clutch?  Do you guys leave the bike in neutral with your right foot on the ground so you can quickly shift into first when the light changes or do you just hold in the clutch lever?
     - why do they call it a V7 Stone?  We're they "stoned" when they were trying to think of a name or does stone mean something in Italian?  And what does the "7" infer?

Swordds, first let me congratulate you here on obtaining a certainly wonderful, gorgeous motorcycle.  I love my V7 like no other ride ever and I'm sure yours will be that much better even.

Second and finally, welcome to the board.  By opening your first post with a mechanical non-issue question, I do fear you may already have too much in common with the geezers on here and will henceforth be a lifetime wg member.   :grin: :thumb: :boozing:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:23:13 AM by bpreynolds »

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »

"Geezers ?"

Come on Bipper , no geezers ... oh never mind , even I am not capable of that much bull poopie  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »
A clutch that is dry when it should be wet will present issues. 
A clutch that is wet when it should be dry will cause similar concern. 

I've always thought that a clutch is best when it's not being actuated.
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

bpreynolds

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »

"Geezers ?"

Come on Bipper , no geezers ... oh never mind , even I am not capable of that much bull poopie  :laugh:

Dusty

Term of affection, Dusty.  Term of affection. 

56Pan

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 10:55:32 AM »
I've been riding for almost 50 years and have never been in a situation at a light where I had to "get out of the way quick."  Maybe I've just been lucky.  I was seriously schooled by my father, however, about breaking clutch cables.  You don't want to be stopped, in gear, if that happens (and it did to him on an old Goldstar).  I've had the clutch cable on my new V7 stretch while I was in heavy traffic on a hot day - that's no fun either.  I sit in neutral at lights and try to use the clutch as little as possible.  But that's just me.

Agree big time.  Definitely do not want a clutch engaging in 1st at a redlight.  BTDT, got the T-shirt. Damn near got me killed.

canuguzzi

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
If you have enough time to worry about your clutch cable snapping at a stop light, you have spent too much time worrying and not enough time enjoying riding.

The short time you might spend at a stop light or stop sign isn't going to make one bit of difference, it the cable snaps or the clutch fails, it was going to do it anyway.

If your cable snaps and you launch into the intersection, obviously you are in lala land and not paying attention.

The clutch was created and designed to be used. Dragging or slipping the clutch excessively is harmful to them, like anything, the operative function here is excessive.

A lot more people get hit from behind at stops than people have clutch cables snap at stop signs or lights.

Anyone worried about a clutch cable snapping or the clutch wearing out hasn't ridden where steep hills exist. Most likely, they've never ridden two up and loaded or been in heavy traffic.

You can buy auto tranny motorcycles, for the clutch operation challenged.

If you want to worry about something, that clunck you hear when putting the trans in gear because you wanted to save your clutch or its cable was the sound of metal hitting metal.

Clutches, like brakes, are wearable items, one day you might have to repair or replace it. Before that time, you will have spent many times that amount changing oil and filters unless you ride very infrequently so as not to get the oil and filter dirty.

Its a clutch not a chastity belt.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here