Author Topic: Riding in solitude.  (Read 10088 times)

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Riding in solitude.
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:59 PM »
If you like riding in solitude it is hard to beat Kansas anywhere west of I-!35.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

Re: Riding in solitude.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »
 Yep,for solitude it is hard to beat the high plains , or the road to Hewins .

Dusty

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
Solo is my preferred travel mode!

Just a handful of folks I enjoy riding with.   Including you John. 

Fondly remember crossing over into Missouri on that ferry in 117 degree heat, and being pleasantly surprised at the roads which lay on the other side.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
When I ride alone, I prefer to be by myself.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »
 :thumb see below :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:33:25 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:24:18 PM »
I like riding alone, too.

From a 600-mile ride through central/eastern Washington:

2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:33:26 PM »
Just completed two ten hour days returning home from two separate motorcycle events on the East Coast of Australia.
Nothing better than hitting the "take me home" button on the GPS, putting the Bluetooth Helmet Speakers on and heading west stopping only for coffee and fuel.
That after enjoying a group ride to get to both events in the first place.

I enjoy the solitude as much as I enjoy the company.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:54:07 AM »
I reckon I felt that riding back from the Arctic Circle

72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 06:05:13 AM »
There are a lot of fun curvy roads in middle TN where you will be in solitude with the exception of going and coming from work times, and then it is the dozen or so people who might live off those roads. 

The beauty of interstates and state highways are that they keep most people off the back roads.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
Sometimes and some places, an interstate is an interesting experience. But it doesn't feel like a real solitude adventure like an empty rural US , state or county road arrowing off through the scenery.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »
From SmithSwede:
Fondly remember crossing over into Missouri on that ferry in 117 degree heat, and being pleasantly surprised at the roads which lay on the other side.
That was a nice ride, pleasantly surprised! Did enjoy the company that day. :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 06:56:07 AM »
300k on motorcycles...

Divided by an average speed of....35mph?

300,000 /35=8571 hours.....

8571 hrs divided by a 40 hr work week=214 work weeks

214 40 hr work weeks equals 4.28 years of riding...at 35mph avg

4.28 yrs of riding in solitude avg 35 mph during a 40 hr work week.....

Introvert much?

:bike-037:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 07:18:14 AM »
I'll admit, the solitude is a large part of why I love motorcycles so much. I throw a leg over, start the bike, kickstand up, close my visor and roll out. At that point, I'm in my own little world. Just me, and the machine that needs me. We complete each other, we are the perfect Yin and Yang.

This is a large part of why I have no desire to move closer to where I work. That 45 minute ride is my own personal paradise.   :bike-037:
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 07:42:46 AM »
I prefer to ride alone, have had enough of riding in groups. There are still a couple of guys I'll run with. As far as being alone on the road, doesn't happen often in my little state.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

jwinwi

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
I absolutely treasure the solitude of riding and touring alone but there are limits... Rode Hwy 50 through Utah and Nevada going to the MGNOC National in Grass Valley, CA in 2001. 50 to 60 miles between towns gets a little spooky. As the sun started to set it made me think: What would happen if the Quota started acting up?

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
I ride alone for the most part, but the solitude hasn't been the same since I installed a Bluetooth unit in my helmet. I think it will be a positive addition however; weather alerts, routing instructions, calls from mi esposa, and all that. Still, I think I'll keep a couple of extra helmets around for when I want the world to go away...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »
Flying gliders is a great solitude experience. I generally fly without a radio and generally by myself. I feel like I have escaped earth and nothing can interfere with me until I land, totally in my own little world and totally self reliant.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
While I do enjoy riding with my group of friends, I also prefer solo rides in the end. especially if I feel the need to think stuff through, to unwind or have a one on one ride with God and enjoy the beauty of the countryside. BK

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
For some, riding is a social event. For others, an escape from having to socialize.

For me, motorcycling is meditation. The engine sings a mantra and the mind empties of thoughts not necessary to steering around the curves or pondering the zen of the scenery.

I’m happily married and have solid friendships, but I’ve never had anyone on the passenger seats of the three Guzzis I’ve owned. I’ve attended a couple of rallies to talk bikes, but rode there and back solo. I have on rare occasions enjoyed a group ride, but adjusting my pace to the lowest common denominator and surrendering the ability to veer off the planned route takes some of the fun out of it.

It’s only partly because I’m an anti-social bastard at heart. My jobs have always required dealing with fellow humans of all stripes. I can pass for good company and love hearing interesting people tell their stories.

But my bike is a rolling Fortress of Solitude. I’m lucky to live on the edge of a bustling city where I can ride 15 minutes in any direction and be on a winding road where only an occasional car needs passing. I can almost always manage to get deliciously lost and see new sights.

This forum allows me to participate vicariously in your rides, get and share information on the care and feeding of these quirky Italian bikes, and rub up against personalities both endearing and prickly without hangovers or fisticuffs.

It’s cheaper than therapy.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
There is so much noise in the world today its a treat to get away from it any way you can.

:-)

Unless it's Fay's voice in my ear over the Sena as we ride the country together.

If I have a choice between riding alone and riding with my best girl, it's going to be the pillion-in-a-million every time ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

canuck750

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »
For some, riding is a social event. For others, an escape from having to socialize.

For me, motorcycling is meditation. The engine sings a mantra and the mind empties of thoughts not necessary to steering around the curves or pondering the zen of the scenery.

I’m happily married and have solid friendships, but I’ve never had anyone on the passenger seats of the three Guzzis I’ve owned. I’ve attended a couple of rallies to talk bikes, but rode there and back solo. I have on rare occasions enjoyed a group ride, but adjusting my pace to the lowest common denominator and surrendering the ability to veer off the planned route takes some of the fun out of it.

It’s only partly because I’m an anti-social bastard at heart. My jobs have always required dealing with fellow humans of all stripes. I can pass for good company and love hearing interesting people tell their stories.

But my bike is a rolling Fortress of Solitude. I’m lucky to live on the edge of a bustling city where I can ride 15 minutes in any direction and be on a winding road where only an occasional car needs passing. I can almost always manage to get deliciously lost and see new sights.

This forum allows me to participate vicariously in your rides, get and share information on the care and feeding of these quirky Italian bikes, and rub up against personalities both endearing and prickly without hangovers or fisticuffs.

What he said  :thumb:

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »

Post of the year.  I tips me hat to you :bow:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »
Flying gliders is a great solitude experience. I generally fly without a radio and generally by myself. I feel like I have escaped earth and nothing can interfere with me until I land, totally in my own little world and totally self reliant.
GliderJohn
John, there is a glider club that I go by everyday when I'm working. It's in Davie county, NC, on NC 801. Just wondering if you may know those guys.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 06:59:58 PM »
I don't do "group" rides where you just show up to an unknow group of folks. I don't do rally's as that's not my thing. I do have a select very small group of friends I ride/travel with and its great. We all get along and can ebb and flow as needed. I also like to ride solo its a different experience.

Traveling alone is exceptionally fun for 2 or 3 days then it get a bit lonely.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
From Ncdan:
John, there is a glider club that I go by everyday when I'm working. It's in Davie county, NC, on NC 801. Just wondering if you may know those guys.
Thats about 800+ miles east of me. I don't fly out of my region nor contest fly so I really only know local pilots. It is a small community socially.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »
Riding alone in solitude is magical. If I wasn't married to the Fabulous Mrs Wavedog I would be a solo motorcycle vagabond following the seasons around the country. Or I would have sailed solo over the horizon and disappeared. Fortunately for me, the Fabulous Mrs Wavedog has held an incredible fascination for me and has kept my head in reality for 38 years and my life is better for it.
 Now days I ride with one or two friends for health reasons.

Once I did get to spend 28 days on the road riding and camping by myself.  I discovered that I am ok with what goes on inside my helmet.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:53:12 PM by wavedog »

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 08:00:38 PM »
From Perazzimx14:
Traveling alone is exceptionally fun for 2 or 3 days then it get a bit lonely.
I hear you but...I don't think I could describe myself as either an extrovert or an introvert, just right on that fence line.
When I am extended traveling alone and just for the sake of riding I find myself becoming more extroverted because I am more open to company and interaction. So at fuel stops, food stops and motels I meet new people and have some great interactions that I would have not have had otherwise. I also try to frequent the walk directly into your room motels (becoming less common) for one reason being that people tend to hang out outside creating more interaction opportunities. YMMV.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
Being on the fence of extrovert and introvert is described as ambivert as I typically am. With that said I do prefer solo riding unless with a couple of my closest friends.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 12:53:49 AM »
I kinda like riding by myself. I can go as fast or slow as I want and stop anywhere anytime for whatever reason. There are times though that it would be nice to have just a few riders along.

With that said. I was headed from Los Angeles to Yuma. Was riding alone except for the 60 bazillion cars on the freeway to San Diego. I stopped in El Centro for gas. Got back on the freeway and shortly 2 bikes came up to me. We were going about the same speed and headed the same place so I sped up a bit and rode behind them. Did I mention they were cruising at 80mph. We were all rolling along happily until two others came upon us. One of the two was easy to ride with, he knew how to ride in a group. The other guy scared the "S" out of me. I never knew where he was going to be, kept speeding and slowing. I think his buddy tamed him down. Then it was a pleasant hour ride with people that I did not know. Had a few cold ones at the Yuma Run with the guys I rode with. Nice bunch of guys. But when I headed home, it was just me and about 3 hours of desert until I hit SD, then the 60 bazillion cars again. Rats!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 04:08:36 AM »

I reckon I felt that riding back from the Arctic Circle

Yes.
It's a bit like that North of the Arctic Circle..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:12:38 AM by Huzo »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here