Author Topic: Who's using an airbag vest?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
Re: Who's using an airbag vest?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 07:47:17 AM »
I have found that detaching the tether when you want to hop off the bike is no more evasive than unbuckling your seatbelt before you get out of your car. After a few times, it becomes automatic.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2021, 11:19:55 AM »
For two up riding, where would the passenger tether?
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline ajpjive

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »
Shouldn’t be too much of a hassle for a pillion. For my 1150GS and Versys, I keep the passenger tether under the seat most of the time. If I have a pillion, I just pull out the cord, & they clip in. It’s attached under the seat and just snakes up from underneath.
2002 BMW 1150GS
1995 Guzzi 1100 Sport
2009 Kawasaki Versys 650
2001 Buell Blast

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »
Higher end ones do not use tethers but sensors instead. Much like a six axis system on some motorcycles.
GliderJohn

Wonder if it would deploy in a slip and fall situation...
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »

Offline SEG

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2021, 05:39:44 PM »
I have been using a Helite Turtle vest for about five years.  I don't ride without it.  I wear it over a mesh jacket in the summer, and over an Aerostich 1 piece Roadcrafter Classic during other parts of the year.  Connecting the tether becomes (for the most part) second nature.  Fortunately, I have no experience with it being deployed, but I expect that it would work as advertised.  I suppose that in a slow speed tip-over that didn't separate me from the bike, it would not deploy.  I can live with that; I have the air bag vest for the faster speed get-offs, or an accident involving another vehicle.  For peace of mind, and for less than the cost of an ambulance ride, it's well worth it.  Regarding the CO2 canister: I called Helite and inquired how long the canister should last; I was told at least five years, and possibly up to ten.  I'm going to replace the original canister at the five year mark.
2015 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring
MGNOC Member 18315

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2021, 03:12:56 PM »
I finally gave in and ordered the Helite from Motorcycle gear. They were the only ones with a sale price and a $33. rebate card to be used later. As soon as I confirmed the fit I called and used the $33 to buy an extra co2 cartridge and extra teather.
I leave for Az tomorrow with the V85. the 2001 Ev is sitting there waiting for me so time will tell.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 03:21:44 PM »
I think you'll find that after a while, donning the vest and snapping it to the tether becomes as routine as putting on a helmet and snugging down the D-ring.

Hope you never find out if it works!

Offline CTPAINTER

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
Getting two this spring, my wife and I.  AlpineStars tech 5. It's been in my head for awhile, seems like a no brainer when I think of the regret I'd have if something happened without one.

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2021, 09:14:05 AM »
Cycle gear has these on sale.

15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »
I remember seeing a prototype at a show a long time ago (20yrs?) but it was pretty crude.  I forgot about it until I saw a post on this issue on another site.  I looked into the Klim until I found it was a huge subscription fee to get all those sensors to work.  I looked at tether ones and happen to find a used one in almost new condition so I bought it.  I got the Hit-Air vest with three extra CO2 canisters.  I choose it because it has an extra flap/cushion for the head/neck and one for the lumbar region.  It weighs very little and is comfortable over my jackets.  I intend to put some matching Velcro strips on my jackets to correspond to the areas on the vest for armor attachment.  In that way I will be able to remove the jacket and the vest will stay in place.  Overall I think it is a good idea and am looking forward to using it.  I have already installed the anchor tether straps to the V85TT, Norge, and the Berg.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Offline andyals

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 10:07:10 AM »
I've heard that the next big thing being developed is a suit which upon impact envelopes the rider in a giant rubber ball complete with air supply and a week's worth of food and water rations 👍

Honestly if you're that worried about it take the car.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 10:12:45 AM »
Honestly if you're that worried about it take the car.

I'm not an ATGATT type (yet), but I also don't think that this is a good response to those looking to enjoy the benefits of motorcycling while being as safe as they wish to be. We can look at T.E. Lawrence and the progression of the helmet, armour, et al for reference. If you want to be a squid, be a squid. If you want to surround yourself in a bouncy ball of safety, do that. Let folks enjoy motorcycling to the level of safety they wish.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:31:30 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 11:09:03 AM »
What would be the concern with buying a used but never deployed vest? I know someone getting out of cycling who will sell me his.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 01:40:56 PM »
I've been looking at the Helite Adventure Jacket as a good winter and cool-weather riding jacket.  It's being discounted around $100 by several on-line vendors. Even with the discount it's still a $900 dollar item...ouch! (but cheaper than an ambulance ride, no doubt) I want a jacket that is 100% waterproof without liners though. I have no idea how well the Helite sheds water.  I hate having to stop and fool with rain jackets, liners and such.  Usually end up getting soaked before I decide to stop and put them on.  Pity the Helite isn't gore-tex, I'd spend the money on it.  Another problem is, in hot weather, I tend to ride with my 3/4 length jackets partly unzipped to get some airflow.  I'd imagine that would be a big no-no on an airbag jacket.  Any inflation might pull the zipper completely open or apart.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2021, 05:22:59 PM »
If it goes off accidentally you will be a stuffed shirt.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »
Great discussion so far. I'm still on the fence on these, but leaning towards the newest version of the Dainese or Klim untethered models rather than ones with a tether. I will likely only use it on longer multi day trips, and know how dumb and forgetful I am. I have the muscle memory and autonomous actions ingrained and know the 'accidental' deployments would make me miserable.

Seems I have no space in my scrambled grey matter for new TTP's.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2021, 05:50:57 AM »
Great discussion so far. I'm still on the fence on these, but leaning towards the newest version of the Dainese or Klim untethered models rather than ones with a tether. I will likely only use it on longer multi day trips, and know how dumb and forgetful I am. I have the muscle memory and autonomous actions ingrained and know the 'accidental' deployments would make me miserable.

Seems I have no space in my scrambled grey matter for new TTP's.

My Newport Beach place is just down the street from a large Dianese corporate store.  I tend to buy Dianese jackets for that reason.  My winter/spring/touring textile Dianese coat, while pricey, lasted about 10 years and one freeway slide, needing only a minor repair. 

So I went by a few weeks ago and bought a new textile coat, touring style, gortex, with built in airbag.  Very pricey, but has good coverage in shoulder and neck area.  I am recovering from a heart attack in November, and have a new pacemaker/defibrillator.  I have lost 46 lbs, and now the device feels right at the surface (no more layers of fat) in my shoulder.  I figure the airbag may offer some protection to getting the device scrapped out.

Have not got the jacket yet, looks very nice, but is heavy and I doubt it will flow enough air for SoCal summers.  We shall see.

No subscription fee, but it is $250 to reset if it goes off.

Offline andyals

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2021, 09:39:10 AM »
I'm not an ATGATT type (yet), but I also don't think that this is a good response to those looking to enjoy the benefits of motorcycling while being as safe as they wish to be. We can look at T.E. Lawrence and the progression of the helmet, armour, et al for reference. If you want to be a squid, be a squid. If you want to surround yourself in a bouncy ball of safety, do that. Let folks enjoy motorcycling to the level of safety they wish.

Oh yeah sure but where does it end and at what point do those of us who choose not to use this gear get chastised by those who do.
Its already started actually.
Endless discussions condemning those who don't wrap themselves up in 1.5mm CE approved leather suits of armour have become the enemies of biking.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »

While I am an ATGATT guy I do not shame others who aren’t. Riders make their own decisions, I do cringe (and perhaps judge the intelligence) when I see riders and passengers both young and old ridding in flip flops, shorts, t shirts...just like now in - 30F Mn weather walking around in summer attire...without gloves,hats and parkas. But unless they are my children or family I hold my tongue. People have the right to make such choices, I grew up a Boy Scout and try to be prepared, cus shit happens.

Oh yeah sure but where does it end and at what point do those of us who choose not to use this gear get chastised by those who do.
Its already started actually.
Endless discussions condemning those who don't wrap themselves up in 1.5mm CE approved leather suits of armour have become the enemies of biking.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2021, 04:26:23 PM »
Wanted to come back to this as I was looking at them today possibly for my daughter. I may have misunderstood air-bag vests. Looking at Dainese, Klim, and Alpine Star, they sell vests that go UNDER any jacket. I was thinking vests were worn over a jacket. I believe all three of these brands are using a tetherless technology, "smart" technology.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2021, 04:30:37 PM »
After watching EMTs give the lifeless body of a motorcyclist CPR for over 10 minutes after being hit at an intersection only 2 blocks away from me, I finally pulled the switch and got the Hit-Air vest. The Hit-Air is tethered, and MUST fit over any existing jacket in order to inflate properly. I like it, although I know it wouldn’t cover the initial collision impact should I be t-boned et al.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:31:47 PM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2021, 06:42:53 PM »
I think it's the way to go also. I'm intrigued by the under jacket vests. Though. Was not aware they even existed.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
I've put 10000 miles on the Hellite since Feb. Heavy on the shoulders, sometimes I'm too dumb to hook up the teather, but I'd buy it again. Over the jacket although I do put a big wind breaker over it when very cold.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline averb

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2021, 09:01:54 PM »
Here is a review of motorcycle airbags
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jZryt607U

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2021, 09:55:10 PM »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2021, 10:48:59 PM »
That video made good points. The battery issue with the Alpine Star is I think a non-issue for our needs but a good point to consider. But hands down it looks like the Helite is the way to go. I guess I need to analyze Helite vs. Hit Air.

At this point it won't matter for me due to sizing issues but my daughter is starting to show the first signs of interest. If she's serious I would quickly upgrade her to an airbag system so she's used to it from the get go. Probably a full jacket rather than the vest. We'll see.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline CTPAINTER

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
Wonder if it would deploy in a slip and fall situation...

Yes, happened to my brother, awkwardly sort of fell backwards, next thing he knew, poof!

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2021, 03:27:43 PM »
Has anyone used or have any insight into the effectiveness and quality of the 'cheap' tethered vests? Certainly a $120 vest will not be as good as a $500 one but is it even close?

This one received similar scores and reviews to the Hit Air at 25% the cost: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Professional-Advanced-motocross-protective/dp/B082RRMGXC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=airbag%2Bvest&qid=1624911844&sr=8-3&th=1
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »
Has anyone used or have any insight into the effectiveness and quality of the 'cheap' tethered vests? Certainly a $120 vest will not be as good as a $500 one but is it even close?

This one received similar scores and reviews to the Hit Air at 25% the cost: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Professional-Advanced-motocross-protective/dp/B082RRMGXC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=airbag%2Bvest&qid=1624911844&sr=8-3&th=1

I’d be very skeptical how they’re cutting the cost. And when it comes to protective equipment that could save my life, I’m not sure I necessarily be game for those cost cuts. That said, if airbags cost $3000, I most likely would never buy one.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here