Author Topic: Modular or full face?  (Read 3671 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Modular or full face?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »
71, I like my Neotech.  So far as fogging my glasses- it's a modular, very easy to open up and immediately clear.  The helmet vents well when going, and you can crack the face shield (HJC won't stay cracked at speed in airflow), or just open up the hatch (it doesn't catch air like the HJC so you can keep it open on the highway).  I find the Shoei the best for glasses actually.

I've never heard of bugs coming through vents.  I always wear ear plugs anytime I wear a helmet. 

We have different experiences for sure.

Does FC-Moto have them for $300?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
My first helmet was an HJC modular. IS max (IIRC). That was replaced by an HJC IS Max 2. They were OK but got very loose very quickly. They also started sounding creaky. I lost confidence in them. That was when I decided to try the Shoei NeoTec. At $600 I was very disappointed. If fit better than any helmet I'd ever worn but had some big issues. It would fog my glasses. The vents would literally pump gnats and mosquitoes directly into my ears. Most of the summer I would ride with the vents closed because of this. On longer rides (more than an hour) I wear ear plugs and only then could I open the vents.

When it got to be 5 years old I bought an X-Lite N1004 Modular (made by Nolan) on sale for $450. It was $650 new. It felt cheap. The chin bar rubbed on my chin. The brow was very tight. The paint was very poor. I would have felt ripped off if I'd paid $300 for it. I immediately sent it back to Revzilla.

Next up was the RPHA 90 from HJC. It fit snug but not overly so. I figured it would break in a bit so I took it for a ride. I can wear it for about an hour. It's just too tight on the forehead. Worn for 3 hours. Paid $450 for it. Asking $300. Size XXL. (24.4" or 62-63cm).

Finally I bought last years NeoTech from FC-Moto in Germany. This is the same model I'm replacing (and has all the same problems). The only difference is the ratcheting chin strap and lack of DOT sticker. I paid $600 for that one. This one was $330 shipped.

I would like to have a full face but I wear glasses. I want the safest gear possible but if I dwell on the issue of safety too long I just go crazy. You just can't obsess about safety and still be able to ride. I've decided that Aerostich suits, Sidi boots, good gloves and quality modular helmets is good enough.

All HJC/RPHA helmets have removable pads that come in three thicknesses.  You can mix the pad thickness to create a custom fit.  It’s probably why my el cheapo, $100 HJC is so quiet.  I bought pads that customized the fit and went thickest around the bottom pads.  It makes it a pain to get on and off But no air whistles past my ears. 

If you pull the forehead pad on your RPHA it’ll have the thickness on a tag.  Call up Revzilla and for ten bucks you’ll have a helmet that fits.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 02:59:46 PM »
That was my approach with all three of my HJC lids also, John. The XXL works for me fore and aft, but I put the cheekpads from an XL in it and-presto-I have a long-oval HJC. Shoeis fit me best, but the price is really a show-stopper for me...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:03:47 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
71, I like my Neotech.  So far as fogging my glasses- it's a modular, very easy to open up and immediately clear.  The helmet vents well when going, and you can crack the face shield (HJC won't stay cracked at speed in airflow), or just open up the hatch (it doesn't catch air like the HJC so you can keep it open on the highway).  I find the Shoei the best for glasses actually.

I've never heard of bugs coming through vents.  I always wear ear plugs anytime I wear a helmet. 

We have different experiences for sure.

Does FC-Moto have them for $300?

They did have 'em for $300. I see they've gone up a bit. They have frequent sales though. https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?

Some people don't have issues with bugs getting into the vents but I do. Last summer I tucked a couple of foam ear plugs into the holes in the EPS. That worked too.

I carry a pair of contacts with me now. Last summer I rode up to Aerostich. I crossed the bridge from Superior into Duluth in light misty rain in 45 degree temps. Had to ride with the visor open and use my gloved fingers to clear (smear) the water from my glasses. Closing the lid was NOT an option. Fogged glasses never happened in my HJC IS Max 2.

This is why I refused to splash out $700 for the new NeoTec 2. This is why I tried two other helmets before re-buying the old NeoTec from a German retailer.

All HJC/RPHA helmets have removable pads that come in three thicknesses.  You can mix the pad thickness to create a custom fit.  It’s probably why my el cheapo, $100 HJC is so quiet.  I bought pads that customized the fit and went thickest around the bottom pads.  It makes it a pain to get on and off But no air whistles past my ears. 

If you pull the forehead pad on your RPHA it’ll have the thickness on a tag.  Call up Revzilla and for ten bucks you’ll have a helmet that fits.

I was unaware that HJC offered different thickness pads for the RPHA series. I'll look into that. Thanks. These are great lids.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
71, you know the Neotech comes with a pinlock insert as standard equipment?   It can take a few minutes to fit in.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
71, you know the Neotech comes with a pinlock insert as standard equipment?   It can take a few minutes to fit in.

That's not the issue. My glasses fog up.

My glasses have never fogged up in any other helmet.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:30 PM »
I'm a die hard Arai fan. They really fit my head, quiet, and high quality. I use the Sena 10U which fits inside the helmet with a handle bar remote.
As Mr. Arai will tell you in his video, modular helmets are not as safe. You will see many Formula 1 drivers wearing Arai, and Arai does not pay them as they used to (from what I understand, but who really knows).
When you're pretty like me, it's worth the extra $, you know - get what you pay for. The one thing I don't care about Arai is their graphics are not my taste, I usually get the solid color.
Kirk

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
That's not the issue. My glasses fog up.

My glasses have never fogged up in any other helmet.

My HJC modulars were much worse since the faceshield wouldn't stay cracked open and I couldn't ride it at speed with front hatch open.  I can do both my Neotech. 
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here