Author Topic: Thoughts on seat upgrades  (Read 2340 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Thoughts on seat upgrades
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:49:05 PM »
Hey folks-

I'm considering a seat upgrade. I had a Sargeant on my 1200S and it was fine. They have a good promotion running now. Corbin is the other big name- but I haven't tried them.  Any other thoughts (without spending crazy money)?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
Re: Thoughts on seat upgrades
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 10:46:50 PM »
I have had three Corbin seats and personally find them very comfortable, they can move you further back from the bars than you may like though. The thing about seats is they are such a personal choice.

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »
Try an Air hawk or Wild ass air cushion.

I have the wild ass cushion and really like it.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 06:01:36 AM »
I’ve got corbins on 2  bikes that came with the bike. No issues. Bought a Corbin for my versys 650 and it wouldn’t latch. After several phone calls I finally had to make a shim myself that allowed it to work. Or I could return it less 50.00 shipping.
You’ll be fine if it fits but their customer service is non-existent
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 06:01:36 AM »

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 06:32:52 AM »
Check out Terry's Custom seats, he's done 2 for me already and my wife and I are very pleased with his work. He's on vacation now but will return 7/10/19. Great work and a lot less expensive than Corbin or Sargeant. :bike-037:

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 08:17:24 AM »
Not a fan of Corbin. Sargent? Yes! Stick with what works for you!
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 08:34:40 AM »
I have two bikes with recently built Corbin seats. Both are very well designed and the materials are top notch. Far better than the Gunfighter I bought back in the nineties. However, when I received my seat for the BMW, the cover was misaligned. When I called to arrange for a return, they told me that they wouldn't fix it ("It's a hand made item"). My local custom car business fixed it for me, but it cost me fifty bucks. Corbin has a decent product...but really bad customer service.

I also have used a couple of Sargent seats. The build quality was great. The materials weren't as nice as Corbin, but require less care (vinyl vs leather). The turnaround is quick and the customer service was great.

Finally, there is Rick Mayer seats. Comfy, but the build quality was poor (unraveling stitches, incomplete seams), delivery was three months past the promised date, and The guy wouldn't return calls/emails.

So I use Corbins, but I cannot recommend them without saying that they are sorta arrogant to work with. That BMW seat worked great on a recent extended tour...

9-FC29388-6315-41-A7-97-FF-BD8-A86426-F56" border="0

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »
 Neds Auto & Cycle : Riverside Iowa Motorcycle Dealer - Motorcycle.com
https://www.motorcycle.com/dealers/neds-auto-cycle-5168

Over the 50 plus years that I've been riding I've had several different seats. Wish I had known of Ned's many years ago. I recently had a seats made by them.and Jim asked several questions to make sure it would be made according to fitting me.
When I got the seat it looked real good but I wasn't in for the real surprise until I put on my bike and took it for a short ride. Within a mile I knew this was something special. I purposely rode over one the worst street in Rochester for about 1/2 mile. As I rode the street had my bike shaking as it always did but here was the real difference between this seat and the others. The bike would be jolted but I no longer felt it in my behind or back.
With that being said I will never have a different kind of seat put on my bike's. I would recommend Ned's seats to anyone shopping around. You will never find a better seat and will also never find one at a better price.
Ya don't have to believe everything ya think!

Ride All Day,Play All Night!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
I think that new bikes should have the option to just be equipped with a seat pan (at a discount over a complete seat), and the owner get his own seat made.    On a serious touring bike, I never leave the stock seat on it, which makes sense since the chances of a generic, one-size-fits-all seat actually fitting anyone except the tester that first sat on it are near zero.

It's such a personal thing that about all we can do is tell who the seat makers are that have done us a good job. Rich Maund (no longer in business) and Russell Day-Long have made my seats.   I will admit that my Triumph has the "lowered" Triumph custom seat with a Bead Rider on top, and it feels good enough that for once I'm not unbelting $800 for a Russell ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Jabo911

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »
Agree with Terry's Custom Seats. Just had one made by them. I have hip issues and when riding more than 50-60 miles, I'd have to get off the bike and walk around for a couple minutes before riding again. Discussed with Terry and after getting the seat back from Terry's, riding had become a pleasure again. 100 plus miles at a time is a piece of cake now. They will get all my work in the future.

Jim

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 09:57:05 PM »
Bill Mayer Saddles.  Works a treat.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 03:16:37 AM »
People sometimes confuse Rick and Bill Mayer.  Don’t ever do business with Rick.  A 2 minute Google search will tell you why.

I’ve had three great Corbin seats but their customer service is atrocious.  If it’s wrong they won’t fix it.  The Sargent I had was decent but they don’t dish the seat, it’s more of a straight line.  Terry Adcox has earned an excellent reputation the last few years and he does a ton of V-Strom seats. 

I’m not sure which bike you’re looking to get a seat for but Russell Day Long is seen on more Iron Butt bikes than any other brand.  The big ones they make are ugly but crazy comfortable.  They have a new line of seats that don’t have the huge wings off the side and they actually look pretty good while also being super comfortable. 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »
They have a new line of seats that don’t have the huge wings off the side and they actually look pretty good while also being super comfortable.

The "huge wings" on the seat are what make it what it is.   You NEED huge wings if you have a huge .... well, never mind.   Get one that's comfy for you ... !

Lannis

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
The "huge wings" on the seat are what make it what it is.   You NEED huge wings if you have a huge .... well, never mind.   Get one that's comfy for you ... !

Lannis

I know!  Those spring suspension wings are super comfortable but they look kinda like a dog's prolapsed rectum.  It's fine on a larger touring bike but Jonathon has a CB1100 and a R1200R.  A traditional Day-Long would ruin the lines.  He likes sailboats, expensive watches and attractive women with bad judgement.  He's all about the lines.......

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
I know!  Those spring suspension wings are super comfortable but they look kinda like a dog's prolapsed rectum.  It's fine on a larger touring bike but Jonathon has a CB1100 and a R1200R.  A traditional Day-Long would ruin the lines.  He likes sailboats, expensive watches and attractive women with bad judgement.  He's all about the lines.......

Well, I just did 1200 miles or so going up to Mid Ohio and back on my Russell.   I'm all about my arse.   Nobody, much less me, can see what the seat looks like when I'm sitting on it.   Who cares what it looks like when I'm NOT sitting on it?  Well, he does, I guess.....  :thewife:

Lannis

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 04:58:04 PM »
I’ve had a half dozen mustang saddles and loved them all. No break-in time, great from the get go. However like 90% of the aftermarket business, good luck getting one for a Guzzi:(

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 09:52:51 PM »
The Day-Long saddle was invented by Rocky's father, Bill Mayer Sr.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »
Hey folks-

I'm considering a seat upgrade. I had a Sargeant on my 1200S and it was fine. They have a good promotion running now. Corbin is the other big name- but I haven't tried them.  Any other thoughts (without spending crazy money)?

I have a corbin on my Breva. It's great, except it's a full inch+ lower than stock...  it also cost too much, but I got mine used off ebay.  It weighs at least 20lbs
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
Neds Auto & Cycle : Riverside Iowa Motorcycle Dealer - Motorcycle.com
https://www.motorcycle.com/dealers/neds-auto-cycle-5168

Over the 50 plus years that I've been riding I've had several different seats. Wish I had known of Ned's many years ago. I recently had a seats made by them.and Jim asked several questions to make sure it would be made according to fitting me.
When I got the seat it looked real good but I wasn't in for the real surprise until I put on my bike and took it for a short ride. Within a mile I knew this was something special. I purposely rode over one the worst street in Rochester for about 1/2 mile. As I rode the street had my bike shaking as it always did but here was the real difference between this seat and the others. The bike would be jolted but I no longer felt it in my behind or back.
With that being said I will never have a different kind of seat put on my bike's. I would recommend Ned's seats to anyone shopping around. You will never find a better seat and will also never find one at a better price.

Or a nicer guy— Jim is the salt-of-the-earth dude!!
1994 California 1100

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 01:14:00 PM »
Hey folks-

My Corbin set the seating position back more than I like ... but it sure is COMFORTABLE !    :grin:

quick image host

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 06:33:33 PM »
I have a Bill Mayer Saddle (Ventura, CA) on mine and it would be tough to be happier with it.  It changed the bike from being a couple of days at 500 or so miles to an Iron Butt certificate bike.  Much cheaper than having my butt modified for long distance riding.

I did a ride-in appointment with Rocky - the took photos of my on the bike, did some measuring  and asked questions about where the stock seat didn't feel good.  A couple of hours later they sent me out to ride for about 20 minutes on the first cut.  Again some questions and some more trimming and adjusting.  By noon, I had a seat the felt good, does not look like a tractor seat, and looks nice on the bike.  At first glance, you can't tell it's not a stock seat.  Subtle changes made a lot of difference.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »
I also have a BMS on my Norge.  The stock seat was the worst I've ever experienced.  The BMS is everything the stock is not.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:50 PM »

Thank god I'm sensitive, tho. 

BTW, regarding the woman comment- I can think of a certain hot redhead with really poor judgement....

Here's a sailboat for you...
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here