Author Topic: NGC auto suggestions  (Read 2072 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
NGC auto suggestions
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »
Hello there- seeing as this esteemed group has opinions and input on just about everything, please chime in and help me find a replacement car.

I currently have a 2012 Rav4 with a V-6. Just got T-boned and may be getting out of the car.  It has plenty of power to tow, combined with a short wheel base (easy to get around tight places like where I live. It mostly gets filled up with tools and I am on the highway often.

The problem is that new(er) Rav4s do not come with a V-6 and have anemic tow capacity. The logical step would be a Highlander or 4 Runner to get the 3.5L 6 again.  However, I'm open to suggestions with other makes.

Reliability is #1 with me. I like to do my own work (Guzzi content). I don't care about all the latest electronic gadgets. I drive a fair amount to distant locales- so there's no way I'm getting an older used car. I live up North so 4WD/AWD makes a difference. I don't really think I can pull off a pickup- the ability to pack totes of tools & gear in an SUV seems to work best.

What are your thoughts?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC auto suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
I'm a big fan for Subaru.  Our current Sub is #4.  Although we have an Outback I'd recommend you look at the Forester only because it seems to offer more head room and trunk space.  If you get the 6 cylinder option you will have all the power you need.  OTOH, the Outback is rated for a greater towing capacity (not sure why).

Subaru has managed to include a bunch of small features that, combined, make for a great driving experience.  Stuff like a back lit ignition key.  Take a test drive and see if a Subaru fits your needs.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:29:08 PM »
We have a 3.6 Outback and towing a motorcycle is a breeze, don’t even feel it back there and the gas mileage didn’t change much either on an 1,100 mile ride
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »
The Kid and Nora have two Subbies up in Wisconsin. Bad weather? Pfffft. 30 mpg, too.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 07:14:05 AM »
What is the tow capacity that you need?  it looks like these cars tow 1500-2000 lb.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 07:18:23 AM »
Backlit ignition key? Those Japanese think of everything.

My 73 Dodge Charger had it.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 07:19:47 AM »
I wouldn't want to tow too much too often with my 4 banger Forester.. a motorcycle trailer is fine but anything bigger would feel like a strain.. the six cylinder might be better for that. The new Subi Ascent? Or a different car.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 07:34:27 AM »
I have an '11 Ford Edge Limited with the 3.5 six and AWD. Rated to tow 3000 lbs. Tows my 15' vintage runabout, 1000 lbs GVW no problem. Have a utility trailer I've loaded with 2000 lbs of firewood, more of a strain but handled fine. I bought it used with 100K miles, have 175K on it now. Replaced the rear shocks and a fuel filler pipe. It runs and drives like new. YMMV.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 07:51:21 AM »
I've been impressed by the 2.0 T4 in our Q5 Quattro while towing and was surprised to see it's rated at 4,440lbs.  If you don't want to spend the bucks on the Audi (quite reasonably priced as a 3yr old certified fyi)  I think the Edge with the Eco Boost is about the same towing wise.  But anything newer and you are going to get pushed to the T4.

For my 1.5 years up in Schenectady I got a new rental car every month so I've driven most of the 2017/2018 models.  The Explorer got about the same mileage (21/22mpg) as the smaller SUVs, was just as easy to park in town, and had a lot more utility to it.  It was always my top pick on the lot but cost wasn't an issue for rentals.  In the SUVs the Murano and CRV were nice (but can't tow), the Equinox was o.k. to mediocre,  and the Jeeps were terrible.  I drove a Journey off the lot and then right back to the counter; the seats were a nightmare.  The CX-5 Mazda was a disappointment (I really like Mazdas).

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 08:23:22 AM »
I wouldn't want to tow too much too often with my 4 banger Forester.. a motorcycle trailer is fine but anything bigger would feel like a strain.. the six cylinder might be better for that. The new Subi Ascent? Or a different car.

Mine is a 13 3.6 with the five-speed automatic and it is rated for 3,000 lb towing capacity.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »
Dodge Durango can out tow any midsize SUV and most full size SUVs. Bigger than a RAV 4 though. LOTS of interior space compared to a RAV4

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 11:15:29 AM »
We have a Durango, great car. Gets 23 mpg with the 390 horse Hemi and AWD. A towing beast although when I need to tow something heavy like the 5th wheel I use my Cummins powered dually.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 11:20:40 AM »
This is a open as a thread about oil types. I'm not getting started.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline BobA

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 11:30:44 AM »
On my second Ford Flex. 315K miles on the first one and sold it to the first person that looked it it. Current is a 2014 I bought used. AWD and the twin turbo/Ecoboost 3.5 V6. About 20 mpg combined driving and 25ish hiway. (if you keep your foot outa the FI) Towing cap is 4500 lbs and I've towed heavier no problem. Ton of room and very perky engine. 365 hp and almost 300 ft lbs torque. Comes from factory with an oil cooler, I added a big tranny cooler and air bags on the rear. 150K on this one and besides normal maint just a battery. Course I'm a Ford guy, still have my 2000 Excursion, 350K and running strong, just a bit large and lumpy to drive everyday. And a 99 F350 SRW, 7.3 dsl and over 350K. Running great.
BobA

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
I love my new AWD Buick TourX, a rebadged Opel from Germany. 250 HP/295 torque turbo. Cheaper than a normally aspirated Subaru. Resale sucks but if you keep it a long time that doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:11:42 PM by Buckturgidson »
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »
Bought a 2018 Subaru Forester. Its ok but I'm not overly impressed .It's got lots of power for a 4 cylinder.The inside is kind of small for me at 5'10 and if I wear a hat it's almost touching the ceiling.There's little things it doesn't have that my 2007 Saturn Vue had like automatic locks.The cover for the phone charger hole keeps getting lost cuz its not connected.It's little things but there's a lot of them.It sounds like a diesel when idling.

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »
You can't get a Forester with the 3.6r motor. If I was going to get a Subaru with the intentions of light to moderate towing I would get the Outback 3.6R with the 5 speed auto. Not that the CVT can't do it but servicing the CVT is a lot more trouble if you do it and expensive if you intend for the dealer to do it. The 3.6R with the 5 speed has a drain plug, easier than changing your oil to change the transmission fluid. A Forester XT would be my second choice, with the 4 speed auto, same reasons as above. Makes peak torque around 2k rpm.
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 05:53:21 PM »
This whole idea of towing with a Subaru/Honda/Toyota crossover is like going fishing at a koi pond. 

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
A Toyota Tacoma SR5 crew cab with a short bed or a Honda Ridgeline.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
You can't get a Forester with the 3.6r motor. If I was going to get a Subaru with the intentions of light to moderate towing I would get the Outback 3.6R with the 5 speed auto. Not that the CVT can't do it but servicing the CVT is a lot more trouble if you do it and expensive if you intend for the dealer to do it. The 3.6R with the 5 speed has a drain plug, easier than changing your oil to change the transmission fluid. A Forester XT would be my second choice, with the 4 speed auto, same reasons as above. Makes peak torque around 2k rpm.

Fay's Subaru Outback, a 2.4L with a CVT, is rated for 1000 lb for a brakeless trailer and 2700 for a braked trailer.   I have a brakeless trailer behind it sometimes and it pulls it just fine, no limits on speed or braking.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 07:02:52 PM »
A Toyota Tacoma SR5 crew cab with a short bed or a Honda Ridgeline.

My neighbor pulls his bass boat with a Ridgeline.  A lost friend pulled his bass boat with a Tacoma. 

I'd say they are bass boat capable.   :thumb:
John L 

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 08:20:41 PM »
Lannis, Subaru calls for a 20k something, sorry can't remember off the top of my head, CVT service if used for towing. If they do it you are looking at probably $300.00 a shot. Not in any way saying the CVTs can't tow, they can. It is just expensive if you follow the severe service maintenance schedule. You can service the CVT at home. Just not as easy as the older automatics with the drain plug. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:21:58 PM by bratman2 »
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 05:22:55 AM »
We have a 4 Runner and a Tacoma. If I didn't want a truck bed we'd have two (2) 4 Runners. The Toyotas are a bit spartan inside and I prefer it that way. Less is more. Some vehicles look like your in the cockpit of a fighter jet where they have buttons to operate buttons.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 08:23:46 AM »
 The OP didn't mention the weight of what he tows....He may tow be towing light or even over the recomendations of the vehicle manufacturer..I would say it's difficult to make any recomendations , yes?

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 11:34:56 AM »
I think those Rav4's with the v6 where brilliant!  So let's say it was not in an accident ... how much longer would you have kept it?  I'd say do a search and find a decent used Rav4 with V6 again.  Even if you need to do a fly/buy/drive to get one with decent miles.  As you know, these are super reliable cars, so even a decent used one will last a long long time. 

And any brand new SUV type vehicle with a 6 cylinder will be over $35K.

Just for grins I did a quick craigslist search in my area ... $9K for a v6 Rav4 with 79,000 miles on it. 

Many of these other suggestions are really much larger vehicles ... like try parking in a small parking lot with any of them.  Vs. the Rav4 easy zippy-ness. 
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
I think those Rav4's with the v6 where brilliant!  So let's say it was not in an accident ... how much longer would you have kept it?  I'd say do a search and find a decent used Rav4 with V6 again.  Even if you need to do a fly/buy/drive to get one with decent miles.  As you know, these are super reliable cars, so even a decent used one will last a long long time. 

And any brand new SUV type vehicle with a 6 cylinder will be over $35K.

Just for grins I did a quick craigslist search in my area ... $9K for a v6 Rav4 with 79,000 miles on it. 

Many of these other suggestions are really much larger vehicles ... like try parking in a small parking lot with any of them.  Vs. the Rav4 easy zippy-ness.

Yup- you get it. This Rav is very easy to park, turn, etc. However, it still have the same 2GR V6 as the Taco and 4Runner. Sigh. There is a Rav4 forum full of insiders who religiously defend their little powerhouses (sound familiar???).   I would rather have the less efficient yet rugged V6 than any of the turbo 4s. it is funny how the 4Runner crowd is willing to paya premium for a "less" advanced vehicle. ...and boy do they command a premium.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »
Lannis, Subaru calls for a 20k something, sorry can't remember off the top of my head, CVT service if used for towing. If they do it you are looking at probably $300.00 a shot. Not in any way saying the CVTs can't tow, they can. It is just expensive if you follow the severe service maintenance schedule. You can service the CVT at home. Just not as easy as the older automatics with the drain plug.

The dealer didn't say anything about additional service when they installed the tow hitch ... but even if a manual somewhere says that, I know how I drive and treat the vehicle.   When I've got a trailer behind, I accelerate more slowly (not that I need to, it pulls it without even knowing it's back there) just so the vehicle won't be seeing more load and "strain" than it normally does.   

Service intervals, in my experience, are based on "worst case", as they sort of have to be - in my case, I ALWAYS treat the vehicle pretty gently - unless I'm having to floor it to pass or to merge onto a highway, I drive like there was an egg between the sole of my foot and the accelerator.   And as a result, the car has averaged over 30 MPG over its life, and needed no unscheduled service.

So I'll use a bit of "judgment" when it comes to recommended intervals!   :thumb:  Saves money, too (Guzzi Content) ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 12:11:01 AM »
The Forester is built on the Impreza platform, and is narrower and shorter than the Outback. My Outback is a 2014, last year of the 6-speed manual and it tows 3k just fine, but the mileage drops considerably. When I brought the Stelvio down from Seattle, I got about 17 mpg instead of the normal 30.  It handles the 14' boat fine.  I don't fit the 2014 and newer RAV4 seats. Late model Chevy Equinox might check all the boxes, is a really nice rig, and depreciates quickly so an off-lease units are relatively inexpensive.

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 05:28:23 PM »
problem is once you've owned a honda or toyota everything else becomes second best. a 2017 highlander with about 35000 miles is around 24,000.  great ride lots of power and good mpg.
for new there is the kia and hyundai full size suv. telluride and palisade if I remember correctly. start at 31,000 fully equipped maybe 10%-15% less than others. worth a look. was talked about here recently.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here